Cummins 5.9 Diesel into '03 Excursion

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 11:07 PM
Ex03AK
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cummins 5.9 Diesel into '03 Excursion

I'm in the seriously-thinking-about-it stage of repowering my Excursion V-10 with a 5.9 Cummins. If I go through with it, I will be rebuilding the Cummins and tuning it for some moderate HP gains over stock (Cummins = 305 HP and 555 pounds of torque).

Any advice from those of you that have been down this road before?

Because I know people will ask, here's why I want to do this...

First and foremost, I just plain want a diesel for the economy, longevity, and pulling power. The Cummins Excursion will give me that.

Second, I need something that can tow really heavy in the mountains and hold a lot of people (big family). The Cummins Excursion will give me that, too.

Third, I've had this Ex for 5 years and I've invested a lot of time and money fixing ALL the kinks in the front suspension. I refuse to deal with that all over again with a different Excursion.

Fourth, I believe I can do this swap cheaper than trading for a diesel Excursion. As much as I hate buying and selling vehicles I actually looked into selling the V-10 and buying a diesel Excursion. V-10s are worth nothing on the private or retail market in Alaska and diesels are really high. The difference is usually at least $10,000 if not more.

Lastly, in the end I will have spent around $10-12,000 putting a rebuilt motor and tranny in a pristine Excursion that only has 70,000 miles on it. Selling and buying can't touch that.

Thanks,
Stew

Old 10-12-2010, 12:14 AM
nyaristo
Senior User
what kind of tranny can you mount up to this swapp? and your keeping it AWD right?
why the cummings and not the 7.3 or 6.0?

Old 10-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Ex03AK
Senior User
Originally Posted by nyaristo
what kind of tranny can you mount up to this swapp? and your keeping it AWD right?
why the cummings and not the 7.3 or 6.0?
You can mount up just about any tranny you want as long as someone makes an adapter plate for it--Allison, Dodge, and others. Fordcummins.com and Destroked both make them. I could keep the 4r100 from behind my v-10. Since I will be towing heavy, I would have to beef it up for the diesel's torque or risk blowing it up in the next couple years. The 7.3 had a 4r100 behind it also but it's slightly different from the gasser version. I plan on using the 5r110 from behind a 6.0. It has a lower first gear, 5 speeds (actually 6), and is better-suited for diesel applications--at least Ford thinks so. Finally, the tranny is in a much tighter spot than the engine so staying with a Ford tranny keeps fitment and linkage issues to a minimum. I plan on keeping the 4x4. Same transfer case with ESOF. Except for the Cummins badge on the fender, it will look stock on the outside.

The 6.0 has very similar specs as the cummins but the cummins is way more reliable than the 6.0. I know the 6.0 got better each year but frankly I don't want to take any chances. The 7.3 is a great motor but the 5.9 has more HP & torque and I believe better fuel economy.

People that have done the swap say it is actually easier to swap in a cummins than it is a Ford diesel. Go figure. Cummins swap parts are also easily acquired. Fordcummins.com makes all the fabricated parts needed like motor mounts & adapter plates and some other smaller parts you might not think of yourself. They also rework your wiring harness, retune your PCM, and sell a separate tuner for the tranny with tech support for all of it.

Stew

Old 10-18-2010, 10:55 PM
cowboyup1988
Senior User
i am in the same stage as you with changing out my 5.4 for a cummins. i have built the truck the way i wanted and i love the body style but need more power for pulling my 29 foot gooseneck. which inter-cooler would be the best to use, the one from a 7.3 or a 6.0??? i'm also thinking of changing out the auto 4r100 for a six speed manual. which would be the best for that?

Old 10-19-2010, 11:18 AM
loudfords
FTE Chapter Leader

I think there was someone here a year or two ago, that covered the swap in great detail.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:02 AM
Ex03AK
Senior User
Originally Posted by cowboyup1988
i am in the same stage as you with changing out my 5.4 for a cummins. i have built the truck the way i wanted and i love the body style but need more power for pulling my 29 foot gooseneck. which inter-cooler would be the best to use, the one from a 7.3 or a 6.0??? i'm also thinking of changing out the auto 4r100 for a six speed manual. which would be the best for that?
Here's a link to a thread where the poster put a Cummins into his Excursion and beefed up his tranny. He did it three years ago. I PM'ed him and he loves it and has had no issues whatsoever. His one regret is he overbuilt the tranny to where it is a bit more aggressive than he intended.

Ford Excursion cummins swap (HPCR & 48RE) - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Also, go to fordcummins.com and read as much as you can. Google for Destroked as well.

A good search tool for salvage parts is Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

Intercooler, go with the Ford 6.0 for ease of installation and they are easy to find in salvage yards. It's bolt in and plenty big unless you are going to ramp up the power quite a bit in the Cummins. I decided early on I wanted to go stock as much as possible so there might be a good aftermarket version as well--I just didn't look much.

I can't help you with the manual tranny. I didn't even consider the manuals...no reason except for personal preference toward the autos. I plan on going with a Ford 5R110 from behind a Ford 6.0 ($995 at the local yard with 17,000 miles plus $495 for the T-case). It's already built for the diesel's power and the stock 2003 6.0 has roughly the same HP and TQ as the stock 2002 24-Valve or 2003 Cummins commonrail. I also plan to switch out the transfer case for the one that comes with the 5R110. As I understand it there is enough of a difference in the way the transfer case mounts to the tranny to merit swapping those as well.

Like I said though, read those websites and forums and dig, dig, dig for information. I've been researching this for over a year. Just waiting for the money...

Stew

Old 10-21-2010, 09:33 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 387 Likes on 264 Posts
Hey guys,Thanks for the car-part.com as stated above.

I checked it out and actually found the rear end I have been lookinf for.
Bought it and it is on the way.Awesome!

Also,cant wait to see some pics of these 2 excursion swaps.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:07 PM
excursiondude
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ex03AK
Here's a link to a thread where the poster put a Cummins into his Excursion and beefed up his tranny. He did it three years ago. I PM'ed him and he loves it and has had no issues whatsoever. His one regret is he overbuilt the tranny to where it is a bit more aggressive than he intended.

Ford Excursion cummins swap (HPCR & 48RE) - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Also, go to fordcummins.com and read as much as you can. Google for Destroked as well.

A good search tool for salvage parts is Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

Intercooler, go with the Ford 6.0 for ease of installation and they are easy to find in salvage yards. It's bolt in and plenty big unless you are going to ramp up the power quite a bit in the Cummins. I decided early on I wanted to go stock as much as possible so there might be a good aftermarket version as well--I just didn't look much.

I can't help you with the manual tranny. I didn't even consider the manuals...no reason except for personal preference toward the autos. I plan on going with a Ford 5R110 from behind a Ford 6.0 ($995 at the local yard with 17,000 miles plus $495 for the T-case). It's already built for the diesel's power and the stock 2003 6.0 has roughly the same HP and TQ as the stock 2002 24-Valve or 2003 Cummins commonrail. I also plan to switch out the transfer case for the one that comes with the 5R110. As I understand it there is enough of a difference in the way the transfer case mounts to the tranny to merit swapping those as well.

Like I said though, read those websites and forums and dig, dig, dig for information. I've been researching this for over a year. Just waiting for the money...

Stew
Just wondering........ did you ever start?

Old 02-08-2011, 03:09 PM
nyaristo
Senior User
Yes me too wondering also?? I would like to know the cost of the swap

Old 02-18-2011, 03:43 PM
faster
New User
That makes three of us. I have an 03 F250 5.4 Crew Lariat I love and will convert it to a Cummins after I save up a few more pennies.

Mikey

Old 03-03-2011, 07:09 PM
BACKWOODS99
Freshman User
im actually in the thinkin-about-it stage. ive got the 5.4 also but im thinkin of a 7.3. dont get me wrong i LOVE cummins engines but im leanin twords the 7.3 instead