Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leer Cap Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 10:40 AM
2011SD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Leer Cap Leaking

Has anyone else had any issues with Leer caps leaking?
I have a 2011 F250 and I just put a brand new Leer 100Xl with removeable front slider window.The first time it rained after the cap was on the truck I noticed a good amount of water in my bed.I'm not sure where exactly it's coming from but along the front and about half way down both sies my carpet is wet along the bed rails.The dealer orded me all new windows if that does not fix the leak i'll be getting the cap replaced

Old 10-10-2010, 03:19 PM
nicadrick
New User
Mine is doing the same thing! I have a 2005 HD Super Duty. I we've thad the Leer cap on it since June of 2010. I have had the truck in a couple of times for the leaking issues. In our case, I have some wetness on the bottom carpet where the cap meets the truck. I am not convinced it is the windows, but could be. The dealer claims it is getting in under the Ford bed rail caps. All of the efforts to fix the leak has been focused on that. I am schedule to have the leak(s) fixed on Saturday again. I will ask them to look at the windows as a possible source. I wil let you know how it goes.

Is there anyone out there who's Leer cap IS water tight on their Super Duty?

Old 10-21-2010, 08:17 PM
sgianino
New User
I also have a 100XL from Leer and from the beginning has been an issue with water coming in, appears to be from the side windows enough to cover the bottom of bed with water on a good rain

Old 10-21-2010, 09:14 PM
nicadrick
New User
Problem identified!

I took my truck into Leer again. This time we did a water test. We found a few things.
  1. Tilting front window had plugged or "too small" weep holes in frame causing the frame to leak inward during heavy rain. Dealer drill the weep hole a bit. I will update once we get some good rain.
  2. Next we focused on the bed rails and found that water was hitting the bottom of the bed rail trim from road spray. I asked Ford and was advised that most truck do not include the rear fender skirts that would help with this. Since the parts to complete this would be around $150 I chose the more economical route: expanding foam insulation spray from Home Depot.
  3. Lastly we found more holes at the front of the bed just under where hte canopy mates to the front bed rail. There is a small hole at either side of the bed front panel where in meets the side panel. Once again I used the expanding foam to plug the holes.
I will update all once I get some time on these fixes.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:22 AM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nicadrick
I took my truck into Leer again. This time we did a water test. We found a few things.
  1. Tilting front window had plugged or "too small" weep holes in frame causing the frame to leak inward during heavy rain. Dealer drill the weep hole a bit. I will update once we get some good rain.
  2. Next we focused on the bed rails and found that water was hitting the bottom of the bed rail trim from road spray. I asked Ford and was advised that most truck do not include the rear fender skirts that would help with this. Since the parts to complete this would be around $150 I chose the more economical route: expanding foam insulation spray from Home Depot.
  3. Lastly we found more holes at the front of the bed just under where hte canopy mates to the front bed rail. There is a small hole at either side of the bed front panel where in meets the side panel. Once again I used the expanding foam to plug the holes.
I will update all once I get some time on these fixes.
I read somewhere on here that certain chemicals in the expanding foam will attack the metal and cause it to rust/corrode. I think it was in regard to someone spraying it in the cab roof cavity and it caused it to eat away at it from the inside. I don't know how true this is, but I would definitely do some further research on it before spraying it somewhere that I couldn't keep a constant eye on it. Just a thought.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:20 AM
nicadrick
New User
Spray foam.

It is sprayed on a painted external surface already exposed to the elements. The recommendation to use the spray came from Ford.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:48 AM
Todd01
New User
100XL leak

I have a 2001 F-250 with a Leer 100 XL purchased in 2003 and I have had the passenger side window resealed 4 times. I am going in tomorrow for the 5th try! Needless to say I am disappointed in this model!

Old 12-29-2010, 09:39 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Leaks seem to be a common occurance with Leer. A friend of mine has a Leer on his SD and it also leaks. It seems to be at the rear. He also had trouble keeping the back glass latched while driving down the interstates. We Finally drilled holes in the bed rails and cap and bolted it down and the back glass finally will stay latched. I have an Eagle cap on my F150 and also had one on my SD with none of the issues that I've seen on Leer caps. I had an ARE cap on my 95 with no issues.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:02 PM
ItsABeautClark
New User
Glad I saw this post...I was just about to buy a leer cap. I think I will go with an ARE now. However I will admit the browning package on the leer would look really good on the sd

Old 03-30-2014, 08:47 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 986 Likes on 760 Posts
yep, model 122....leaks on all windows...leaks at the front where the cap meets the bed and leaks on both sides of the rear window.

what are these folks thinking ......we do drive in the rain.

so any plans to camper equip the interior now needs to consider some evaluation to keep the gear out of standing water as well as some distance from the side walls so no runoff wets up the gear.

I guess I could install a pool cap skimmer to pump off water puddles.

but it looks like the usable space of the cab just shrank.

and yes...that back door will unlatch and open no matter what you do.....time for some type of cross bracking that can be locked.

maybe leer will offer a leak prevention kit on their options list .

need to think about the best way of attacking this aside from getting a cover for my cover.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:46 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got rid of the F150 and went back to a SD again. The first thing I bought was another Eagle cap. No leaks or any issues so far. I have to tilt-in front glass so I can clean the cab back window and no leaks there either. My neighbor just bought an F150 about the same time I got the SD and he also went with a Leer cap against my advice. It looks nice. I'll have to ask him about any issues.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:18 PM
sgianino
New User
had a new Leer 100XL installed on the new truck and no leaks yet, they did say most of the leaking was coming from the side windows once the gasket got old and seated it would loose its seal....they have since supposedly fixed the issues

Old 10-25-2014, 02:42 PM
OldStepside
Freshman User
I’ve been driving a F150 for over twenty years with a no name tonneau cover on it. ZERO leaks. I’ve ordered a new F250 and have been researching all the possible tonneau covers. Up until reading, this I’ve been leaning toward Leer covers. I though Leer was the premier tonneau maker worth the additional expense. Now I’m leaning toward avoiding Leer altogether. Thanks everyone for the real user knowledge.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:45 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 986 Likes on 760 Posts
I'm going to go with ARE on me next cap. They have models that over hang the truck bed.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:12 PM
Gints
Senior User
I have ARE cap on 2012 f250. It looks nice, but leaks around windows.

Quick Reply: Leer Cap Leaking