1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

94 ranger stalls right after starting.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 09:28 PM
teejmac
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 ranger stalls right after starting.

I have a '94 4 cylinder manual ranger. Recently my truck will randomly stall right after I turn the key to start it. It is not all the time but it happens enough that it is affecting my daily routine. The starter pushes out and turns over and then it stalls right after. I recently changed the fuel pump thinking maybe I am not getting enough gas for it to start. Well, i changed that 3 days ago and I am now stuck with my truck stalling out again.

Has anyone else had this problem or have any ideas because I am out of ideas.

Thanks guys.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:21 PM
g_k50
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Starter needs new brushes, they are about 3 dollars, or you could get a new starter.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:20 AM
michigan66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is stalling? Is it the starter or the engine?

There is a Schrader valve on the fuel line toward the rear of the engine (driver's side) that you can use to check fuel pressure.

You indicate that you replaced the fuel pump. Did you also replace the fuel filter? That could also reduce fuel pressure.

Do you hear the fuel pump run before the starter engages?

Old 09-24-2010, 06:06 AM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by teejmac
I have a '94 4 cylinder manual ranger. Recently my truck will randomly stall right after I turn the key to start it. It is not all the time but it happens enough that it is affecting my daily routine. The starter pushes out and turns over and then it stalls right after. I recently changed the fuel pump thinking maybe I am not getting enough gas for it to start. Well, i changed that 3 days ago and I am now stuck with my truck stalling out again.

Has anyone else had this problem or have any ideas because I am out of ideas.

Thanks guys.
what does stalling me..........when i think of stalling i think you start the car it runs for a little bit and then it dies.........is that what it does...................Post the results of the fuel pressure test you did before you changed the fuel pump...

Old 09-24-2010, 07:47 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

Don't throw any more parts at the problem until you have a positive diagnosis result.

Further clarification on the wording description of the problem would be helpful.

From your having replaced the fuel pump, I take it that it's a problem with the engine starting, but then stalling & a number of things can cause that, like an acting out IAC, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump or electrical connections/power to it, so the ignition switch, fuel pump power relay, inertia switch, electrical connectors & wiring to the pump belong on your suspect list, along with a clogged fuel flter or crimped fuel line, ect, ect.

Have you been having any other idle, or driveability, or lack of engine power, or engine stalling problems at idle, during a drive cycle????

As has been said, a KOEO & KOER fuel pressure check at the fuel rail would be good info, as well as the fuel filter replacement question.

If you don't have a fuel pressure gauge, have you at least pulled the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator, to see if it's wet inside with fuel???? If it is, suspect the pressure regulators vacuum diaphragm is bad, so the regulator will need to be replaced.

Do you have a CEL lit????
If so, pull & post the computer trouble code Numbers, as they can offer up good trouble shooting clues.

A bunch more thoughts for consideration, let us know how it goes.