3rd brake light

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 08:22 PM
murph1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd brake light

2010 f150 stx w/tow package new cap and i need to hook up the 3rd brake light

I picked up a new truck cap,with a discount...the discount is that I have to wire in the 3rd brake <NOBR style="FONT-FAMILY: inherit; COLOR: darkblue; FONT-WEIGHT: bold" id=itxt_nobr_0_0>light</NOBR>...
anyone have a schematic for the brake lights?
should I pull the drivers side tail <NOBR style="FONT-FAMILY: inherit; COLOR: darkblue; FONT-WEIGHT: bold" id=itxt_nobr_1_0>light</NOBR> and tap off it or run down under the truck to the trailer hook up
or is ther another option?
thanks

Old 09-21-2010, 08:55 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,661 Likes on 1,343 Posts
You can't tap into the tail light, that will make the 3rd brake light blink when you make a turn and move the signal lever.

I don't think you will find the proper connection that the trailer connector either. The only one that may work is the wire for the electric brakes, and that's not going to work unless you have a brake controller, and it will also not be completely bright, depending on how strong you have the brakes set up.

I have heard rumors there is a box you can buy, that will take the signals from the taillights, and convert it to 3rd brakelight use. The box keeps it from blinking when you use the turnsignal. I don't know where you can buy this box though, you might do a web search and see if it's really available.

The only other solution would be to tap into the 3rd brake light wire that is in the rear of the cab. It's just a single wire that comes directly from the brake switch on the brake pedal.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:32 PM
murph1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
went into the drivers side housing before i read this today...

found what i thought was the brake light wire,with the tester,and then tried the 3rd brake light and the dang thing started blinking when i hit the flashers like you said....

i dont understand what causes it to do that....
what makes this taillight setup so differant....

tieing in to the trailer wire for the brake light won't work..
I thought I would just solder in a wire before the connecter on the back of the bumper....

i just hate to have to run a wire from the pedal all the way back there for the brake light....
I call the cap place tommorrow and see what they say....maybe thats why i got a better price....

Old 09-22-2010, 12:16 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,661 Likes on 1,343 Posts
The rear brake lights and turn lights on American cars and trucks(most but not all) use the same bulb for the brake and the turnsignal. Only the cars with the rear amber turnsignals use a separate bulb for the brake lights.