Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Airbag code 33-Driver side or pass?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 09:53 PM
89Rustang
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Airbag code 33-Driver side or pass?

I been searching this all day and keep getting conflicting answers. Is the code model AND year specific? I have a 2004 Explorer. Can someone clear this up for me? I already cleaned the yellow connectors under both seats and I still have the LFC. I have started the truck 3 times since then and cycled the key about 6 times to see if it would clear. I got a rejection sticker today and need to fix it ASAP.

Thanks,

Old 09-17-2010, 10:18 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
the codes vary by years. i cant tell you about the 2004, but i have a code 33 on a 2002. It is the two pin connector on the bottom of the seat belt latch tensioner cylinder. Right side of the seat up aginst the console, the cylinder explodes on crash impact and yanks the seat belt tight. I have to take the seat out every 6 months, squeezze the connector with a pair of pliers and reinstall. Dont seem to make good contact. I looked ay buying a new cylinder to see if that helps, but the price is outrageous, even on e-bay.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:40 AM
ncranchero
Postmaster

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
From the 2004 Explorer Service Manual:
33 Restraint System — Safety Belt Pretensioner Status (Driver Pretensioner Circuit Fault)

Old 09-18-2010, 06:59 PM
89Rustang
New User
Thanks for the replies guys. So I assume the pretensioner is the part up near the shoulder? I will check the wire up there and see if it is loose.

Thanks,

Old 09-18-2010, 08:38 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
i think your looking at the buckel end by the console. the buckel is attached to the pyrotech tensioner and pulls tight when you are in an accident... copied for dictionary---

Operation

Pyrotechnic seatbelt pretensioners operate on either the buckle or the ratchet side of the seatbelt mechanism. Their action augments or compensates for a variety of seatbelt performance issues, including:

o Taking up any slack in the belt prior to occupant motion.
o Compensating for the "film spool effect" of the seatbelt webbing unwinding upon itself on the locked ratchet.
o Holds the occupant in position for airbag contact and so-called "ride down".
Pretensioners are used in conjunction with other seatbelt features, such as:
o "torque load bars"
o "web grabbers"
o breakaway seams

These features help optimize the performance of the airbag systems.

Maintaining proper occupant position reduces the amount of work the airbag must perform on the occupant, and thus increases the level of protection provided by the airbag system. Keeping the occupant in the proper position also helps minimize injury due to the rapid inflation of the airbags.

Pyrotechnic pretensioners are electrically triggered at approximately the same time as the airbags. Mechanical triggering can also be employed.

The combustion of the pyrotechnics within the pretensioner creates pressure that is used to either pull on the buckle side of the seatbelt mechanism or to tighten up on the spool side of the mechanism, thus reeling in some length of the seatbelt webbing.

Some means of mechanical locking is usually employed to maintain belt tightness.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:19 AM
ncranchero
Postmaster

Some pre-tensioners are in the belt/retractor and some are in the buckle. On the Explorer they are in the buckle. The SRS lamp will not go away until they are in working order. Also as long as there's a fault in the system the restraint system is not active. You can not replace the pyrotechnic cylinder, only the buckle/pretensioner assembly. For the Explorer they are only a little over $100 each. I replaced them on a 06 Ranger I repaired and they were about $200 for the pair. Here you see them in the deployed state, with the buckle collapsed from the cylinder activation.

This is a new one.

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Ca...WLK+LH7viyyDAr
Ford Base Number 61202

Seat Belt Buckle Assembly
Left Hand Drive, Medium Dark Parchment Interior; (-P*), LH (Left)
$114.27

Old 09-19-2010, 07:48 AM
89Rustang
New User
Yeah, thats what I thought they were. I already checked and mine aren't deployed, must be a bad connection. I guess i will replace them if all else fails. I would just hate to throw money at it blindly =)

thanks

Old 09-19-2010, 08:05 AM
ncranchero
Postmaster

If you can't clear it up as a bad connection I can get the diagnostics for you before you throw any money at it. As the manual says though, "most" faults are caused by wiring/bad connections. No, if they were deployed you'd have bags hanging out of your steering wheel/dash. You could remove the buckle assembly and check the wiring to the connector at the cylinder. As you can see, it's 18 ga +/- so it wouldn't be hard to cut or pull out of the cylinder terminal. Also check the wiring where it goes under the floor mats. BTW, when the fault is cleared the indicator light will go out, after the start-up check, immediately. Multiple "starts" are not necessary.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:45 PM
89Rustang
New User
Originally Posted by ncranchero
If you can't clear it up as a bad connection I can get the diagnostics for you before you throw any money at it. As the manual says though, "most" faults are caused by wiring/bad connections. No, if they were deployed you'd have bags hanging out of your steering wheel/dash. You could remove the buckle assembly and check the wiring to the connector at the cylinder. As you can see, it's 18 ga +/- so it wouldn't be hard to cut or pull out of the cylinder terminal. Also check the wiring where it goes under the floor mats. BTW, when the fault is cleared the indicator light will go out, after the start-up check, immediately. Multiple "starts" are not necessary.

Still not good. Just got in from checking it all over. All wires look good for that cylinder. I was able to test the wire for connectivity and it was good. I am not sure where it goes from there since it is under the carpet. I cleaned the connectors again and reassembled. Still no go.

I am thinking of switching the seats around to see if the problem follows the seat cylinder. Will go out in a few and try that out.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:11 PM
89Rustang
New User
So I plugged the pass. seat cylinder into the drivers side and now I get code 52 only. I have nothing plugged into the passenger harness and not getting any codes for it which I find strange.. Is this just a low battery code for a 2004 explorer? I did disconnect the battery.

EDIT: So I found code 52. This would explain it. I will try running wire extensions instead to see if the code changes to passenger pretensioner. Then at least I know it is the pretensioner.

B2439 52 Passenger Safety Belt Buckle Switch Resistance Out Of Range

Old 09-20-2010, 09:15 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
been there done that... extended the wire , ran to passenger seat.... what i found is the 2 pine connector itself on the cylinder is margineal. i cleaned the terminals, pinched the harness connector with pliers and pushed it back onto the cylinder and tie wired it on. works for about 6 weeks. I think the cylinder is marginal. I can also shove my hand down the side of the seat and wiggle the wire and restart the car and sometimes get the light to stay off.. I know its right there in the pin connector, cylinder end i believe.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:47 PM
89Rustang
New User
I'm at a loss on this thing. I crossed the pretensioner wires and the drivers side is good, still get same code. I followed the wiring under the carpet to a harness connector under the passenger seat on the frame rail. I checked for continuity and had none on EITHER wire. Thinking I nailed it, I ran a temporary jumper wire for both the green w/red and green w/black. Still coding. IDK what else to do. It doesn't make sense.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:49 PM
89Rustang
New User
I got it. Was a broken wire inside the insulation under the drivers seat. As soon as I gave it a tug, the strands pulled right out. Thanks guys for all your help =)

Old 09-21-2010, 06:13 PM
ncranchero
Postmaster

Got any hair left??????????

Congrats! Glad you whipped it!

Old 09-21-2010, 06:28 PM
89Rustang
New User
No kiddin. Dollar signs were starting to scroll in my eyes My neighbors must have thought I was nuts, I must have pulled the seats out 17 times.

Quick Reply: Airbag code 33-Driver side or pass?