1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1959 F100 replacement glass

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:46 PM
quiggs1404
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1959 F100 replacement glass

I have a cracked front windshield and driver side window in my 1959 f100. I am also looking to replace all the rubber seals for the windows and doors. Any recommendations on where i should get the parts? I have seen replacement seals in catalogues but which brands are good? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:59 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
The general consensus seems to be to stick with Dennis Carpenter seals,which are sold by many of the truck part vendors,including some FTE sponsors.There are,however,others of varying quality.Ask about country of origin.You can get the glass,in different tints,from most of the same suppliers,if not obtainable locally.Good luck.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:55 AM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In my 58F100 styleside custom I went with a nice kit from Sacramento Vintage Ford that created one piece side windows by eliminating the wing windows. If my wing windows had been useable I wouldn't have gone this direction, by mine were really bad and I couldn't find replacements when I was looking etc so I went this route. I've got a modded truck so its OK.
I actually like the functionality of wing windows but when they're too rusty and funky and replacements--I couldn't find even on ebay when I was looking -- can't be found or someone just likes the one piece side windows I would recommend looking at these.

And as i recall i bought all my glass and door rubber as well from them. I'm not sure about the windshield, but I think i got that from them too. And for sure I got one of those big rear wrap around windows from the only place I could find selling them at the time and that was Bob's Classic Auto Glass-on ebay I think--or similar--He's located in Ontario Calif 800-624-2130 last number I have/don't know if its good. But I was very happy with the price/quality/shipping etc. It came common carrier from Mexico? i think--and I needed a local shipping dock equiped receiving place for the truck etc. So my local NAPA agreed to receive it for me. I still remember it came in the most bullet-proof /nicest shipping crate I've ever seen. It took me hours to cut it up with my skill saw etc. It was an ingenious job of packing, and all still work just fine.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:03 AM
Tomget
Posting Guru

And its been a while and I'm not positive, but I probably saved shipping costs--if it was an option--sometimes everything must be shipped etc--but I live only 40miles from Sacto Vintage Ford and probably chose them because I could drive there and pick up the glass etc. Possibly a big savings if buying locally is an option.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:45 AM
quiggs1404
New User
The original glass is good for all other windows and the vent windows, im just concerned with it not matching exactly or looking different. Is there a vast array of glass options? Im in small town arkansas so buying locally may be difficult.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:18 AM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Yes for sure you want the exact color glass. From my experience-which is just an average user etc--not an expert, but i see side glass in the Sacto Vintage Ford catalog for your truck in Clear,Tinted,and Smoke.

What color is your side glass? I don't know over the years how consistant the different colors of tints will be. I'd guess that would vary. It appears that the side window glass at Sacto Ford is a bluish/green Tinted. And I don't have any Smoke but its described as gray/blue. You can phone them at 888-FORD-100 and they could give you a better idea I suppose.

The windshields for a 57-60 are either "totally" tinted or totally clear, but not available--apparantly in my catalog anyway--for just a shading across the top etc. Not the 57-60 anyway, other years yes. And when they say tinted windsheilds I don't see the colors of tints available? Or its not clear to me. You'd need to ask the salesperson to be sure.

Some or all of the catalog might be available on line at www.vintageford.com. Or you might order a catalog--I think there's a small fee. Also you can check Dennis Carpenter on line for their door/window seals. There catalog is available on line in pdf, but i don't think?? they sell glass for your year? I might be wrong?

www.dennis-carpenter.com

I think most of my door&glass seals are from Sacto Ford, but some prefer Dennis Carpenter rubber etc. I couldn't say. I dont' think I've bought the Dennis Carpenter rubber so can't say which is better. Maybe there's a difference. Maybe not.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:15 PM
SCRAPHEAP51
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tomget
In my 58F100 styleside custom I went with a nice kit from Sacramento Vintage Ford that created one piece side windows by eliminating the wing windows. If my wing windows had been useable I wouldn't have gone this direction, by mine were really bad and I couldn't find replacements when I was looking etc so I went this route. I've got a modded truck so its OK.
I actually like the functionality of wing windows but when they're too rusty and funky and replacements--I couldn't find even on ebay when I was looking -- can't be found or someone just likes the one piece side windows I would recommend looking at these.

And as i recall i bought all my glass and door rubber as well from them. I'm not sure about the windshield, but I think i got that from them too. And for sure I got one of those big rear wrap around windows from the only place I could find selling them at the time and that was Bob's Classic Auto Glass-on ebay I think--or similar--He's located in Ontario Calif 800-624-2130 last number I have/don't know if its good. But I was very happy with the price/quality/shipping etc. It came common carrier from Mexico? i think--and I needed a local shipping dock equiped receiving place for the truck etc. So my local NAPA agreed to receive it for me. I still remember it came in the most bullet-proof /nicest shipping crate I've ever seen. It took me hours to cut it up with my skill saw etc. It was an ingenious job of packing, and all still work just fine.

I too bought a door kit for my 51 panel truck for the same reason on the condition of the wing windows. But yet to install mine. Tell me did yours go in pretty smooth or did you have alot of problems with installation.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:55 AM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
For my 60, I bought all the window stuff from Dennis Carpenter and was very pleased. I was able to get a new windshield from a local supplier, he actually had it in stock. I got all the flat glass (back window, doors and vents) cut at a local auto glass shop. I took the old ones in and they cut to match, I also had them mount the glass in the frames for the vents and the steel that goes on the bottom of the windows. They had a couple different tints and it is safety glass (has a plastic film laminated between two layers of glass, like the originals). I am very happy with results.

Windshield cost about $200. All the flat glass was about $75.

I don't remember what the seals and all the other window stuff cost, but as I said it was all from DC and you can get prices from their website.

Good Luck and hope this helps,

Old 09-03-2010, 11:23 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
I also used Sacramento Vintage Ford for the glass for my '59 F250.Since the factory windshield has a tint,I bought the lightest smoke-tinted glass available for the window,vent,and rear glass,having a local glass shop install everything.Seals from Dennis Carpenter.Originally,I bought and installed a sliding rear window,but it was so loose in the seal that it leaked badly,even using the Carpenter rear seal.I had to s**t-can it.Too bad,as I want the ventilation,but can't justify the expense of A/C in our mild climate,just a couple weeks of hot weather per year.I have an NOS,early/mid 60's,after-market,under-dash ac unit I was going to install,would love to find a new home for it.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:43 AM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by SCRAPHEAP51
I too bought a door kit for my 51 panel truck for the same reason on the condition of the wing windows. But yet to install mine. Tell me did yours go in pretty smooth or did you have alot of problems with installation.
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner on this. Its been a few years since I installed that one piece side window kit from Sacto Vintage Ford--and I guess the one you have is the same? Except its a different year--yours 51 and mine 58. So there's some difference. If nothing else I'm guessing mine is longer,etc. I guess i have bigger doors/windows. I bought the 8461 and you would have the 8462 i guess.

Anyway they still work fine and I've got no complaints, as I said earlier all my OEM stuff was really funky especially the wing window frames and broken or missing wing window "handles" etc. It was all bad otherwise I would have been happy using them.

I wouldn't describe it as "easy", but it wasn't undoable for sure. I'm an amateur and have done my share of cutting/welding sheet metal-but not an expert. I think its always a little hard working/looking down/ in those window openings etc. But I was overall very happy with the install. And you do have to add some extra bracing or support fastners/bracketry of there's that they supply/ Can't recall all but the additional brackets require a couple holes to drill etc/and I remember somewhere along this line goofing up a bit and having to spot weld a little damage I did to the door skin itself. Could be just me/I'm self taught and break everything the first time.

Plus you have to drill out some existing OEM bracket--at least on my 58--for the factory rear view mirror etc--I dont' know if you would have this? Probably not. I couldn't? or didn't use the OEM mirrors. There were issues regarding the rear view mirror nuts/bolts protruding into the area that the new longer glass channel needs to occupy etc.

But they still work good. They come with about 3 pages of instructions.
Overall it was a good solution for me.

Goodluck

Old 09-06-2010, 07:46 AM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Oh Scrapheap51

I see you're up in Oregon. Cool. My old stomping grounds. I grew up in the Salem area.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:09 PM
SCRAPHEAP51
Senior User
[quote=Tomget;9298235]Oh Scrapheap51

I dont remember what the kit number is, it been sitting in my garage boxed up with ton of new stuff waiting to be put on. I just wondered if the installation was pretty straight forward. Yes I live in Salem, Glad to see your from this neck of the woods. I reside in the NE area by the fairgrouds. Im sure you would know where that is located. Anyways Thanks for the info!

Old 09-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

NE Near Fairgrounds. Cool. Ya my dad was an accountant and had his own office on Fairgrounds Rd road near where the "ancient--probably before your time" Curly's Dairy used to be.

I was born on Myrtle Drive in Hollywood, probably not too awful far from where you are and lived in Keizer and then South Salem. Got lots of good memories of the Salem Speed shop from back in the early 60's when I was a student at South. Salem is a cool town. Still got a sister and all her kids etc up there.

Goodluck