Ontario Chapter Join Chapter>, Leader: loudfords

Parking lot mechanics heroics

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 11:35 AM
loudfords
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Parking lot mechanics heroics

So I had to put a new starter in my Montana last night.....in a parking lot in town. Loaded my tools and floor jack and jack stands etc into my Focus and went out and fixed it.

Got me to thinking about some other parking lot fixes I've had to do. Starter and distributor in F150's, water pump bypass in an Olds....

What's the most interesting/difficult thing you've had to replace in a parking lot? Furthest from home?

Old 08-26-2010, 05:19 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Try changing a set of plugs, wires, cap and rotor on an '89 Aerostar in -30 degree Celcius temperatures inside the garage of the ex-wife's aunt's place. Did that a while back on their non-running vehicle.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:37 AM
fp_5
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Let's see...

-started solenoid kicked on when I hit a bump and wouldn't shut off so that killed the starter, didn't do the ring gear any good either. I was in Barrie at the time and limped into a small plaza parking lot. The good news was that I was walking distance to a Canadian Tire so I was back on the road after buying the parts and a couple of wrenches.

-Last year the waterpump on the F250 near Woodstock, although my brother did the work I had to rush to find a waterpump in stock before the stores closed and get it out there.

- then there was the electric fuel pump failure on my '76 but I had stoppd to have a coffee with Al (Dealford). Fuel pump was mounted on the chassis just ahead of the tank. Luckily Al was there and he simply lifted the back of my truck with his tow truck and got it way up hi. I was worried that the front bumper was going to hit the pavement! As we were investigating the pump we heard the sound of rushing fluids and turned to see gas just pouring out the front of the truck......we had left the hose off the carb while troubleshooting ... LOL
Well we got the truck back down in a hurry and sorted things out thanks to Al having an electric fuel pump at home and I was back on the road ....once we let all that gas dry up.

- under "most inventive" I used a 2 litre pop bottle bunji corded to the dash of my '89 chevy van with a section of hose running to the carb when the fuel pump went. I had to remove the fuel filter and put a hole in the bottle for air in order to get the gas to flow from the bottle into the carb. Gravity fed fuel system got me home.

- not a repair but in high school the transmission went on my dads '74 oldsmobile when I was driving friends too school in the morning. I made it to within a block of the school when I lost all forward gears. My friends walked the rest of the way and I drove the car home,....in reverse, through traffic, stopping at lights and everything. Got a lot of strange looks but thankfully not a cop in sight.

Probably a few more........ do motorcycles count?!

Frank

Old 09-27-2010, 08:56 PM
twin66
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about a front brake job (rotors and pads) in a hotel parking lot in Kenora, the second night after driving from north Alberta, in a 4 day drive to Toronto. About 10pm and half an hour from Kenora, we lose brake pedal, pump a couple times and get some good vibrations.

Limp into a hotel, next morning find the one front rotor split in half, all the fins broke from rust. Find a canadian tire, and do the front brakes back at the hotel, got a few looks.

Luckily, I was moving out here at the time, and am an apprentice mechanic, so I had an abundance of tools

Originally Posted by fp_5

- under "most inventive" I used a 2 litre pop bottle bunji corded to the dash of my '89 chevy van with a section of hose running to the carb when the fuel pump went. I had to remove the fuel filter and put a hole in the bottle for air in order to get the gas to flow from the bottle into the carb. Gravity fed fuel system got me home.

I've done this too, but I was a little more prepared. I was young with my 66 about 5 years ago, and was having trouble with the fuel tank so i had rubber hose and a jerry can. So when the fuel line inside the tank clogged, I attached the hose to under the cab (so the fuel pump would still work for it), and the idea was to run it into the bed into the jerry can.

Lucky me didnt have a rubber hose longenough, so I ended up holding the jerry can and hose inside the cab with the door partially open, and an old fan belt holding the door shut, running through the jerry an handle and around my wrist. Best 5km drive of my life lol.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:33 PM
falconqueenD
Elder User
Wink Rear bush

In the middle of BBBFFFF noman's land broke a rear axle, luckily in those way offroad day's we carried spare parts. But still by flashlight in big bear country the 2 of us carried it off. It was good enough to get out of the bush , not to get home. Had to get used axle at the wreckers up there (North bay area).
Thanks for the memory I'd almost lost that one.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:55 PM
edmo1010
New User
How about changing out a radiator in a hotel parking lot in Utica New York in 98 degree heat, two schreeming toddlers, and a whining wife (now ex-wife). Now that's a vacation.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:29 AM
fp_5
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by edmo1010
How about changing out a radiator in a hotel parking lot in Utica New York in 98 degree heat, two schreeming toddlers, and a whining wife (now ex-wife). Now that's a vacation.
I can picture it clearly..... hilarious, like the three stooges...someone else's pain is always good for a laff!

Frank

Old 10-24-2010, 05:52 PM
falconqueenD
Elder User
No EX'S

Only had 1 screaming toddler except she dug the poop off-roading with her Mom.
She's 25 now one her own doing fine .
Still likes trucking with me.
I married my Truck, we have been together for 14 years.