2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Transmission fluid refill 07 Expedtion

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 06:30 PM
dturnersr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission fluid refill 07 Expedtion

Okay guys I need some help. doing a 100k service, etc. I dropped the tranny pan on my wife's 07 Expedition to replace the filter clean magnet, and pan. To my surprise I went to go refill the tranny....NO FILL TUBE OR DIPSTICK. It's my guess that the dealer flushes through the tranny cooler lines, but how do you know how much and how to fill it with out a flush machine. Any help would be appreciated. I should have know there was a reason the dealership did not stock the filter.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:49 AM
dturnersr
Senior User
6R Six speed overdrive service procedure

Well I have to admit when I went to service the wife's Expy I never dreamed it would have been so interesting. So, for you guys and gals who want to do your own servicing here goes the facts:

Ford's recommended service interval for the 2007 Expedition with the 6R six speed with two overdrive grears is 100,000 miles, extreme service interval is 60,000 miles. With that said the owner's manual is no help warning that there is a different than typical service procedure. Ford's intent it NOT to drop the pan, change the filter, yes there is a filter, and clean the debris magnet and pan. The accpeted service procedure according to my local Ford tranny guy is to use a heated back flush to service/replace the fluid. Being the typical old school wrench I found this out the hard way by dropping the pan, cleaning the magent, replacing the filter ($24.00 with a two day wait at local dealer), and reinstalling the pan after cleaning it up. Image my surprise when I could not find the filler tube/dip stick. However, you can service this tranny yourself. There is nut on the passenger (right side) of the transmission where the fill tube typically is found. When you remove this 1" tall nut it has a yellow plastic dipstick inside that comes out of the metal nut. It clearly states to remove the dipstick from the nut. Because it is almost impossible to check it with it in due to the catalytic converter proximty. Ford spec's show capacity of transmission is 11.1 qts. I used 9.3 qts. of Mobile 1 synthentic transmission fluid @ $7.50 a qt. to refill bring the level back to hot full in park on the dip stick. I put in the fluid using a pump that fits a one gallon container which the Mobile 1 bottle caps matched. I put in 5 qts before starting to check after each subsequent quart until I used 9.3 qts. I'm giving you fair warning there is not much room between the catalytic convetor and transmission housing to get the dip stick or fill tube in (be careful to keep the plastic tubing off the Catalytic convertor). Based on the dry specification I left about 3/4 qt. in the transmission cooler/torque convertor/valve body. In my case I used this truck for 80% highway use, 5% towing up to the 9K limit, and the remainder in town driving. I had very little debris on the magnent, pan, and in the filter. But, I feel better knowing I have cleaned it all up, and replaced the filter. Is it a pain YES, is it worth it, that you will have to decide, but you can service your own 07 Expy. I would have taken pic's but I can't post them yet, but with this information you should be able to get through it IF you want to diy.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:02 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fords practice of not replacing the filter and inspecting the pan/magnet is just dumb. You did the right thing.

Old 12-25-2018, 03:01 AM
Turk80
New User
07 Lincoln Navigator All Wheel Drive Transmission fluid change noted problems and possible solution

There isn't any text out there about the 2007 Lincoln Navigator all wheel drive 7L74 7000 Series Transmission fluid and filter change. So I wanted to put out this post to point out a couple of differences...more so problems noted during the change and possible solutions that are slightly different than the 6R 2-wheel drive tranny....

Problem#1: Passenger side pipe hanger interference from the exhaust y-branch piping blocking access to removing 1 of 21 transmission pan torx bolts. - Use a sawzall to carefully cut right at the pipe to remove it.... Once cut it will slide right out of the way. The driver side pipe hanger must stay to keep the pipe stable and free from vibrations. Besides, you'll save yourself a lot of time and headache from having to remove the entire exhaust piping from the manifold... to the muffler.... plus the transmission cross bar.... to allow the piping to move out of the way . Note....you will have to support the tranny once the cross bar is removed . All of that just for access to 1 torx bolt! Think about it...

Problem #2: Refilling the transmission fluid. There is absolutely no dipstick on the passenger side for the all wheel drive 7L74 7000 series transmission... AT ALL!! Unlike the 6R...

Therefore....filling via the transmission cooler return line is the only way.... I used the following supplies from Lowe's....

-SharkBite 1/2-in Push-to-Connect x 1/2-in Push-to-Connect x 1/2-in dia Standard Tee Push Fitting
Item # 818134
-SharkBite Brass 1/2-in Push-to-Connect Check Valve
Item # 864034
-EASTMAN 1/2-in x 10-ft Pvc Clear Vinyl Tubing
Item # 879263. (More than you'll ever need!!)
-Hyper Tough Multi Use Fluid Pump
Walmart # 567001168
-1/2" or assorted hose clamps from any auto part store

Take a look at this video:

https://youtu.be/koqxesB8wIo

... And refer to the posted pics below ....

Fyi...you will have to remove the bumper and grill assembly.... Pause the video at the tranny cooler for a visual reference. The vinyl tubing was used to make the connections between all components. Don't cut it too short or too long...about 2-3" on all ends of the t-branch and about 5-6" on the inlet of the check valve from the pumps discharge (I used a hose clamp here for a more snug connection). Make sure the check valve arrow is pointing towards the t-branch. Of the T-branch...the 1/2" vinyl tube is snug enough to slide on the tranny cooler outlet nipple and small enough to squeeze in the tranny return line hose to complete the connection. This simulates the re-circ machine that the dealership uses

I measured 6.5 quarts of fluid in my drip pan from my drop, so I put 7.5 quarts back to account for fluid lost from the cooler and error. There is no other way to measure the amount of fluid in the system. Also don't forget to drain and fill your transfer case as well during your fluid change . It takes roughly 2 quarts .

Other than that its a trip to the dealer and the awesome price tag that comes along with it....I hope this helps you avid diyers!