1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you order a long bed or a short bed?
long bed
51.09%
short bed
30.43%
long bed with factory fifth wheel / gooseneck prep
18.48%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

long bed vs. short bed?

Old 08-01-2010, 05:31 PM
commtrd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
long bed vs. short bed?

I finally got a 2011 SD on order and ordered the short bed. I am torn between just keeping the truck order as is or changing to the long bed with the factory fifth wheel / gooseneck option. Can't get the factory fiver / gooseneck prep option with the short bed. So if I keep the short bed is it not recommended to install for the fifth wheel stuff on a shortbed? Is the resale value better with a longbed or doesn't really affect it? I understand that towing with the long bed is supposed to be safer and especially if towing a fiver or gooseneck? It is not too late to change the order if I decide to but wanted to get some pointers on this from you guys.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Mr.RonGilbert
Freshman User
If there is any doubt I would go with the long bed. I am not a huge fan of the factory fiver/goose option. I like the flip option better but that's me.

I often wish I had the longer bed when I had my short bed and when I bought my 2010 the long bed was the way to go. I am very happy with the decision, I carried a bed and trailer full of stuff for the deer camp and there was no room to spare. When I add the 100g fuel tank I will need the extra bed space for sure.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:46 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by commtrd
So if I keep the short bed is it not recommended to install for the fifth wheel stuff on a shortbed? I understand that towing with the long bed is supposed to be safer and especially if towing a fiver or gooseneck?
You'll be fine with a short bed, you just need to install a sliding 5th wheel hitch. Lot's of guys on here run that exact setup, without any problems. People recommend long beds because the extra 15 inches at the front of the bed allows you to turn past 90* when backing up the trailer. With a sliding hitch, you can do that with a short bed, you just have to slide it.

Towing a gooseneck isn't a big deal with either bed, since usually stock and horse trailers have tapered nose, so contacting the cab isn't an issue. If it does have a square nose, you can get a 4" offset ball for the gooseneck to set the hitch back some.

I personally prefer a short bed/short wheelbase truck, mainly because the turning radius is smaller, so on smaller trailers like I tend to carry it's a lot easier to control the trailer. When you start talking about a really long trailers (30+ feet), truck length goes out the window, almost anyone can put it where they want to, because the trailer is significantly longer than the truck.

I haven't seen this "factory hitch setup" in person, so I can't speak to it's usefulness, but B&W has been making flip-over gooseneck ***** and companion hitches a lot longer than Ford has been installing them in the factory, so I'd personally stick with what I know and install one after you get the truck.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:01 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I voted long bed. If you are buying the truck as a tow rig and that is what it is going to be used for the majority of the time then you will want the long bed. The longer wheel base will handle better with a bed mounted hitch - 5th wheel or gooseneck.

That said, you can pull most of the same trailers with a short bed. If you get a slider for a 5th wheel camper, for example, the manuverability isn't a problem - on the road. Just slide the hitch back if you're going to do any fancy manuvering.

If this truck is your daily driver then maybe just keep the short bed that you ordered - unless you need or want the extra space of the full 8' bed.

I would personally prefer a short bed truck right now, but thats just me. I don't need a long bed and right now as I don't have a use for a bed mounted hitch. If I had a goose neck or a 5th wheel trailer I would think long and hard of getting a long bed. At that point I would get a dually too = very stable towing platform. Again, just my opinion.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:12 PM
spinella
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'd buy a 10' bed if it was available.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:37 PM
jc8825
Posting Guru
Long bed is the only way to go. You actually have room in the bed to haul things or in your case to PROPERLY tow using a fifth wheel or gooseneck. After the tool box you still have room. Not to mention the long bed actually looks like a truck instead of looking like cat that got kicked in the ***.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Rugby3
Elder User
Long bed all the way.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Originally Posted by spinella
I have 10' long flatbed and wish I had 16

Old 08-01-2010, 07:13 PM
skip mitchell
Senior User
I had an 05 F250 short bed CC cab now have an F350 SRW CC long bed I like the long bed as stated I would have a 10 Ft bed if offered,I buy a truck to haul and want all the space I can get,if you don't need the hauling space,short is ok but I want more.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:20 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Longbed is always the way to go unless you're in the middle of a U-Turn. They tend to ride smoother too.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:30 PM
commtrd
Senior User
Thanx for the replies. I am seriously leaning towards amending the order for the long bed.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:06 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
I threw my vote in for a long bed, but then again, I don't drive pickups with more than 2 doors.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Since my truck is also my family ride, I had to go with a crew cab, and because of that I had to go with a short bed since I didn't want a truck that's a block long. Mine is bad enough in tight spots.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:22 PM
FoxNotch
Tuned
+1.

I can't comment on 5th wheel setups, but I couldn't own a shortbed truck.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:22 PM
twags6
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Same here, and it would be behind a crew cab. You get used to the length.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: long bed vs. short bed?