1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Camshaft/Crankshaft position sensor replacement help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 10:12 AM
redz284u
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Camshaft/Crankshaft position sensor replacement help.

Need to know location and tips to replace these two sensors. I've read of cleaning them but just want to replace them. Having starting issues and want to eliminate these two possibilities before doing the fuel pump.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:18 PM
alloro
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,425 Posts
The crankshaft position sensor controls spark timing. The cam phasers (camshaft position sensor) up on the heads control the injector timing.

Here a thread with a picture of the crank sensor in it's location.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ml#post9128178

Old 01-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Jake dog
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 05 expedition p0340

Hey Jake here, I have a 05 expidetion and just hade new cam phasers put in and cmp,pcm. It's had three engine fluses any starts good idle fine had it at ford. They say they cant figure out why the code p0340 is coming back all circuits test fine all powers and grounds and dont understand anyone ever Chase this code. Thank Jake

Old 01-13-2012, 01:02 AM
chuckyl
New User
Jake,replaced both sensors on a 2002 F150 problem didn't go away. Long story short the shaft the camshaft position sensor sits on was bent. New shaft everything is fine. Think that the two sensors are about 60.00. You may replace both and still get the same code. Replacing the shaft takes a bit of work but can be done if you have some basic skills. To have a shop do it is about 450.00 I don't know who did your work but this could be part of your problem.

Last edited by chuckyl; 01-13-2012 at 01:11 AM. Reason: more info for Jake
Old 01-31-2012, 01:09 PM
Jake dog
New User
Expedtion head cruncher

Hey guys . Went back to the dealer timing was checked ok. I replaced alternator and checked powers and grounds. I didn't known that you could replace cmp sensor shaft
I thought it was part of the front engine cover. But it has two new sensor , humm I wounder if they put wrong sensors in . Still same two codes p0340 and p0344 and no one stiill know why I have some therory but I'm a Gm guy so Ford is new to me any other ideas please let me no thanks.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:09 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by redz284u
Need to know location and tips to replace these two sensors.
What year? What engine?

Old 02-04-2012, 11:48 PM
Jake dog
New User
They lied to me ....... figures

Thank-you for the replys . I got the 05 ford expedition back from some dealer. That I will not say who but there sum lol. Anyway, I had to fix there screw UPS . As you know I have a p0340/p0344 on bank one. Long story short I did a herts test on both banks, cmp sensors and got 31hrz . So I did voltage and continuity test on both circuits . Bank 2 is ok but when i checked bank 1 with the dmm and wiggled the pcm connector and the dmm display was all over the scale. So i checked the pin and i think its screwed so I'm going to replace it , what you guys think . Oh keep in mind that this starts and runs ok but not perfect, it hesitates at 3000rpm and again at 5000rpm . And even after new phasers still knockinig after warm-up but i think that's got to do with the dtc. Please let me know what you guys think

Old 02-05-2012, 12:34 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
I think your getting close.

The P0340 says the PCM can no longer detect the signal from the bank #1 CMP sensor.

I'm assuming that the 31htz is a little high because the engine was probably cold and still on a fast idle?

The P0344 ???? (P0345 is the for the bank #2 CMP sensor signal fault.)

Are you still getting a P0344?

And could you elaborate on the condiction of the pin that is "screwed"?

Old 02-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Jake dog
New User
still diagnosing

Hey Jake here thank you for the reply. Yes the hrz test was done when engine was almost at operating temp . The p0344 sometimes sets first and sometimes p0340 sets first, but clear the codes and drive, the mil light stays out, shut the truck off and restart it the mil comes back on. The connector is the one at the pcm , the pin #45 its a Dk blu/org cmp sensor 1 signal. When checking the circuit on bank 2 pin #44 org wire at cmp connector it was a constant voltage when i wiggled the pcm connector, but not a constant voltage on cmp 1 . Keep in mind this truck was look at but my impression incompetent personal. T hat being said, I took the connector off the pcm , matched up the size of the pin on the pcm, with a small resistor I had, and found the other pins were good, but got to pin #45 and it was like in didn't have a pin, very sloppy no drag . So long story short i have to fix there screw UPS and start at step one. Thanks you for replying . Oh just you know a little about me, there's not much I can't figure out . But this being a ford and i work at a Gm dealership techs there kinda poke fun at me but hey no big deal , the wife made me buy the truck lol. LOOKING forward to your reply thanks.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Jake dog
New User
Hey Jake here what would high hertz mean??????

Old 02-05-2012, 09:09 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Jake dog
The p0344 sometimes sets first and sometimes p0340 sets first, but clear the codes and drive, the mil light stays out, shut the truck off and restart it the mil comes back on.
That's because the PCM only uses the CMP sensor at engine start up. The CKP sensor is used to figure out where in its rotation a particulr piston is, for example, #1 is at TDC. But that isn't enough for the PCM to figure out if it should fire the injector for #1 because it needs to know if the piston is on its compression stroke OR its exhaust stroke. That's what it uses the CMP sensor for.

If it doesn't have a CMP sensor to work with, some versions will try and fire a few injectors at random while the engine is cranking to see if it can get lucky. Once the engine starts, the PCM knows where #1 is and what stroke it is on and just keeps track of it from there on out.

BTW, the CMP and the CKP sensors signal return wire should have shielding to keep stray electronic noise from under the hood from messing up the signal.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Jake dog
New User
Thanks for the knowledge . That helps understand more . When I had a genusis scanner hooked up to the computer, in the engine data it shows no advanced or retard and shows the vct circuit open not closed. And that is when the engine at operating temp . Or is it because of the dtc ???.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Jake dog
New User
Yes i have seen that shielding on the #1cmp circuit when i replaced the connector. I made sure not to damage that and put it back around the wire.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:36 PM
Jake dog
New User
Hey you sound like you know your stuff . Must be a tech ??

Last edited by Jake dog; 02-05-2012 at 09:55 PM. Reason: i suck at spelling lol
Old 02-05-2012, 10:05 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
I think the DTCs (P0340 and P0345?) are because the PCM can't receive the CMP sensor signals correctly.

The CVT solenoids should have B+ voltage when the ignition switch is on. When the PCM decides that it is time to advance or retard the camshafts in relation to the crankshaft, it will pull the VCT circuit to ground (which will move a spool valve to direct engine oil pressure into the cam phaser to actually advance or retard the camshafts).

I'm not sure if the P0340/345 will keep the PCM from messing with the cam phasing.

BTW, will your Genisis read FOrd specific codes in the P138X range?

Quick Reply: Camshaft/Crankshaft position sensor replacement help.