1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running studded snow tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 11:28 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running studded snow tires

I'm thinking of running studs on a set of General Altimax Artic winter tires this coming winter when I go plowing. I've never run a studded tire but I've been doing some reading on them. Just looking for user reports of how a truck handles with studs, any additional noise generated, etc, etc. Tire Rack says no high speeds with studs which really isn't a problem, but I wonder exactly what constitutes "high speeds". Any general feedback from those who do run them please.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:43 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
i had my last BFGs double studded by a local tire shop. ran 100mph w/them(in spring dry roads) on my excursion and had no issues. over the whole winter i only lost 2 studs.

we run studs on every car/truck we own and love them. including my f-250 i use to plow snow with.

i'd stud them and drive normaly...except the one thing i try to watch out for is hard braking and cornering on dry/wet pavment and taking off trying not to spin them..that will eat them up rather quickly which is an issue for me as i drive pretty agressive.

handles pretty much the same as the tires would without studs...maybe alittle less traction on wet/dry pavment.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:29 AM
FI460
Cargo Master
I find that studs are lovely in the winter. Help out quite a bit. They are loud though.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:54 AM
Grumpy Moose
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Studs are great - for their intended purpose. What kind of winter conditions do you expect to encounter? Studs only help out on ice where they scuff up the surface and provide more traction. For driving in snow, they provide little benefit - it is the design of the snow tire tread that determines perfomance in snow. And studs increase noise, and actually decrease traction somewhat on dry or wet hard pavement.

You say you want to run studs for plowing. That is not what they are intended for. Plowing generally means operating in deep snow, so good snow tires with chains on all four wheels are optimal for that purpose.

Up here I run studded tires on all my vehicles during the winter. But we get lots of freeze/thaw cycles so roads often turn into flat sheets of ice. That's where the studs come in handy. But for times when the roads are clear, or just covered in regular snow, the studs are of little use.

As for speed, I always thought that was one of the reasons to stud your tires. You can run them at regular highway speeds, as opposed to chains which have significant speed limitations.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:36 AM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
I may be the minority, but I dislike studs on pickups. In panic stops, the rear end tends to slide easier (even with ABS) on dry pavement.

Last winter my wife used Blizzaks on her Murano. Very impressed with those and am strongly considering a set for the F-250.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Grumpy Moose
Senior User
Originally Posted by redford
I may be the minority, but I dislike studs on pickups. In panic stops, the rear end tends to slide easier (even with ABS) on dry pavement.

Last winter my wife used Blizzaks on her Murano. Very impressed with those and am strongly considering a set for the F-250.
I don't think studs and panic stops go together on any type of vehicle!

The way I look at it, studs are a necessary evil. Like I said in my earlier post, the actual studs themselves are really only useful 5%-10% of the time during winter driving conditions. During the other 90%, studs are (at best) of no value, or at worst even a hinderance to good traction. But it's during that 5%-10% when they are an absolute life saver!

As for the newer studless snow/ice tires such as Blizzaks, many people up here who live and commute solely down in the flatlands of the city can get by just fine with them, even on ice. But where I live we have steep roads that frequently turn to chutes of pure ice. Whenever I have guests or other visitors (such as maintenance workers, delivery drivers, etc) over who insist on not running studs, those who don't chain up invariably end up sliding down my hill, regardless of how expensive a snow tire they have on. In such cases, they only way out for them is a wrecker with chains all the way round, and a hefty recovery bill!

Old 07-19-2010, 11:15 AM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Studs are cool. But they do decrease traction when you're not in a hard pack/ice condition over a regular snow tire. They are louder, but not that bad. I would think they'd get chewed up real quick plowing snow, but I could be wrong. I don't plow, but the trucks I've seen plowing spin their tires when the snow gets deep.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:27 AM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy Moose
I don't think studs and panic stops go together on any type of vehicle!

The way I look at it, studs are a necessary evil. Like I said in my earlier post, the actual studs themselves are really only useful 5%-10% of the time during winter driving conditions. During the other 90%, studs are (at best) of no value, or at worst even a hinderance to good traction. But it's during that 5%-10% when they are an absolute life saver!

As for the newer studless snow/ice tires such as Blizzaks, many people up here who live and commute solely down in the flatlands of the city can get by just fine with them, even on ice. But where I live we have steep roads that frequently turn to chutes of pure ice. Whenever I have guests or other visitors (such as maintenance workers, delivery drivers, etc) over who insist on not running studs, those who don't chain up invariably end up sliding down my hill, regardless of how expensive a snow tire they have on. In such cases, they only way out for them is a wrecker with chains all the way round, and a hefty recovery bill!
There is a big difference between an expensive snow tire and a Blizzak studless ice tire. If you've never driven a vehicle equipped with Blizzaks you should give it a try. They are amazing.

Still, studs are cool if you want smoky sparks while doing a burnout.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Buckholz
Senior User
Love them. Run them on everything in the winter.

Had my WRX STi up to speed limiter on way to ski area running Pirelli Winter Carving, studded at 230kmph (143mph) and no studs thrown and worked fine.

I like Cooper ST studded for trucks. Blizzaks are for rich folk, waste of money for commoners.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:38 PM
DIXIEDOG1
Elder User
I run studded tires on all my trucks in the winter, they are well worth the investment. I have no issues with driving at highway speeds. The speed limit on our interstate is 65 so this is just a what if but I'm betting that they do fine at 80 mph.

I run Baja M/T Widetracks....alot of guys knock them but I've been running the same tread design tires with studs for a long time and I'm not switching, they work good and are E rated tires which isn't real easy to find in a studded mud tire. The ones going on the F250 this year spent the last 4 winters on my GMC and they still look great.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:31 PM
jc8825
Posting Guru
No idea, studded tires are illegal in Texas.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:51 PM
pbeering
Elder User
Not sure where in Ohio you are or what you plow, but you should carefully consider the potential damage to pavement. I know some folks in the northeast that got to pay to repair stud damage.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:14 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
blizzaks are amazing tires, i plan on getting a set for my next DD. both my grandparents run them on there AWD chrysler 300c and 4x4 f-150 and they will never stop suprising you how they stick to the ice and snow. i'm talking hard packed snow/ice as we see on our roads all winter.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:17 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinky Demon
I'm thinking of running studs on a set of General Altimax Artic winter tires this coming winter when I go plowing. I've never run a studded tire but I've been doing some reading on them. Just looking for user reports of how a truck handles with studs, any additional noise generated, etc, etc. Tire Rack says no high speeds with studs which really isn't a problem, but I wonder exactly what constitutes "high speeds". Any general feedback from those who do run them please.
I have those exact tires and studded.. Tires are great in the snow and for plowing. I run 6k of sand in the back in the winter. I try not to spin the tires so as to not dislodge the studs. 2 winters and no problems . My guess is I will get 6 or more winters out of them..All I do is plow in the winter..Studs don't really do much even with all 4 tires grabbing but they do something for sure. I plow steep hills so I need all I can get..

Dick

Old 07-19-2010, 09:18 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
blizzaks are amazing tires, i plan on getting a set for my next DD. both my grandparents run them on there AWD chrysler 300c and 4x4 f-150 and they will never stop suprising you how they stick to the ice and snow. i'm talking hard packed snow/ice as we see on our roads all winter.
Almost every snow tire will. I was very unimpressed with the Blizzak tread pattern for trucks.

Quick Reply: Running studded snow tires