cold air / ram intake for 04 4.0L explorer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 04:05 PM
rangersvt04
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cold air / ram intake for 04 4.0L explorer?

I think i have looked every where for a CAI for my 2004 Explorer 4.0L
with no luck. so has any one found one or made one?

Old 07-14-2010, 11:04 AM
bens170
Junior User
You might try Gale Banks Engineering, AFE, K&N for starters. I hope this helps.
bens170

Old 03-03-2011, 02:00 PM
5.8F250
Junior User
I know Spectre has kits which you can build your own for around $50(price @ my local Pep Boys). After you fab it, you can use intake sleeves to hold it or ship it to Spectre so they can weld it for you.

Edit: Just realized this was an 8 month old post.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
If you do an online search for “air filter test” there is a lot of very good information. IMHO, the CAI units are NOT WORTH THE $$! Unless you are talking about a system that was specifically designed for a specific application there are very little hp/tq gains actually achieved in a street use vehicle and there are very few docs that these mfg’s can produce that actually show an increase in hp/tq in the power-band range of a relatively stock street vehicle.

I would avoid oil impregnated filters. While they have their purpose in off-road applications, Ford/GM/Dodge all have “watch-out” bulletins where the oil has contaminated intake sensors. - they even have a training video for the tech's on this (flatratetech.com) .

If you look at the flow data, WIX HP filters flow 98+% of K&N and have a much smoother flow post filter plus excellent filtering, for a fraction of the price! The OE’s have an excellent air intake system. What many view as an issue (is the plastic intake tube with it’s noise canceling design) actually increases air pressure. It is the same hydraulic concept used by fire fighters creating water supply where psi is low. By having the air cross the path at a 90 degree angle, the pressure is increased proportionally. Fire fighters use what is called a “4-way valve” or “Blake Valve” at the hydrant where the water is cycled through the fire engine (pump) and sent back into the valve crossing the water flow at a 90 degree angle. In this case it also acts as a sound canceling device! At low speeds, this can reduce the flow a tad (which is what most “feel”), but in terms of peak hp/tq, a good high flow filter is all that is needed. You can use a WIX OEM HP replacement filter in the OEM plastic manifold box and either remove the plastic tube and replace it with a piece of pipe/hose, etc or remove the tube completely and replace the tube by building an air ram type intake into the air box manifold (where the pipe use to attach)- make sure ti terminates above the fan shroud to avoid water intake or fan induced pulsations

Old 04-21-2011, 03:00 PM
RPelkey
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by rangersvt04
I think i have looked every where for a CAI for my 2004 Explorer 4.0L
with no luck. so has any one found one or made one?
Sorry bud, the only thing I have for your vehicle is a factory replacment filter and an oil filter. The factory replacement filter will give you a couple hp, but at least you will not have to buy anothe filter again.

The replacement filter for your explorer is part number 33-2207 and the oil filter is part number hp-2010