Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Wiring sabotaged by a rodent

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 05:16 PM
TinyWonder
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring sabotaged by a rodent

I jumped in my 2001 CC PSD to go to lunch and it wouldn't start. All of the usual guages and lights came on and the door alarm worked just fine. Just no juice to the starter.

I spotted a co-woker who had asked what I was doing for lunch and went out with her instead.

Once I got back from lunch and checked things out I found a nest of some sorts that was being constructed out of leaves an twigs and several (4-6) wires that had been chewed completely into pieces.

The affected area is the main wire loom near the starter solonoid on the passenger side inner fender.

At this point without doing a bunch of searching and tearing at the main loom I don't even have enough wire left to tell what wire goes where. I presume that I could get this figured out with the assistance of FTE, my repair manual, web searches and the assistance of my good o'l electrician buddy and create some sort of repair with water proof connectors.

However, my primary concerns are getting the wires re-configured to the appropriate places and what may come if things go horribly wrong and I cause a major short.

I'm somewhat mechanical and have quite an assortment of basic tools. I've wired trailers and repaired wiring of all sorts just nothing this extensive. I'm at the place where I need to decide weather I want to make the attempt myself or send it to the electrical shop to get it rewired.

What do the masses think about this dilema?

Thanks in advance for the help and advice.

TinyWonder.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
You can't just dig a little deeper into the harness and match up the color codes?

Old 07-12-2010, 07:51 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I was going to suggest you start carpooling with your co-worker if she's cute. Other than that, do what Dan Suggested. Dig down further and just match the color of the wires. Most wires have a primary color and a secondary strip color, so just match them all up.

If you disconnect both batteries before you do the repairs, you won't hurt anything when you mess with it. Just don't forget to check your fuses since torn wires tend to also blow fuses.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:57 PM
farmdad
Posting Guru
Try this link to access wiring diagrams.

http://arrc.epnet.com/autoasp/framerq.asp

OK, it doesn't take you directly to the diagram. You have to go through the steps. Click on the login, auto repair reference center, year, make, model, engine, then which topic you want to see, ie. wiring diagrams. This is a great site. You may want to bookmark it.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Mark250
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry about your misfortune, but I think you can handle it OK. I had a mouse chew up the plug wires on my mustang once.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:08 PM
jirwin
Senior User
Had a friend that was able to get that covered by his insurance. Even with deductable, he did good.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:52 AM
TinyWonder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by F350-6
I was going to suggest you start carpooling with your co-worker if she's cute. Other than that, do what Dan Suggested. Dig down further and just match the color of the wires. Most wires have a primary color and a secondary strip color, so just match them all up.

If you disconnect both batteries before you do the repairs, you won't hurt anything when you mess with it. Just don't forget to check your fuses since torn wires tend to also blow fuses.
Carpooling wouldn't work out too well for my relationship with my wife.

Thanks for the support from everyone. After having the truck towed home (thank God for AAA) and some further inspection (and support) I think that I can fix the destruction with a bit of help from a friend. As near as I can tell there are 7 wires that have been chewed completely to pieces. I found two pieces that were about 5" long laying on the top of the inner fender well. One of them contained a male/female plug assembly. I will just have to do as suggested and tear into the loom a bit and match up the wires based on color code on the insulation.

I think that I've figured out where 4 of the wires go to/from but the other 3 remain a bit elusive.

I'll try to get some pictures of the wiring and pieces parts that remain and post the progress as things go along.

Thanks, TinyWonder

Old 07-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
I battle rodents around here. In the last 30 days I've trapped and "recycled" about 10 ground squirrels and poured 2 bags of fencepost concrete down about 8 or so holes under various foundations on the property. My nightmare is what you're dealing with. The worst I have had is a nest built in the valley of my engine.

Here's my "recycling center" for the little *******s. The "attendant" is pretty badass. I started yelling at him to try and get him to fly away and get a good action photo. He just stared me down.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:32 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Fat Diesel
I battle rodents around here. In the last 30 days I've trapped and "recycled" about 10 ground squirrels and poured 2 bags of fencepost concrete down about 8 or so holes under various foundations on the property. My nightmare is what you're dealing with. The worst I have had is a nest built in the valley of my engine.
I keep a couple small containers of moth ***** under the hood of my vehicles.They stink but squirrels,rats and cats hate the smell also

Old 07-27-2010, 09:50 AM
TinyWonder
Postmaster
I thought I would post an update on my situation.

I had to wait a week to get the truck into the shop. They specialize in electrical work and I have had great experience with them in the past. It was definately worth the wait.

Apparently the squirrel got the wire that tells the starter solonoid when to give the starter the go juice. And several wires that controlled the A/C system.

The shop had it fixed with water tight connections and shrink tubing on all joints in under two hours. The work was done in a very professional way and I couldn't be happier.

All told the total cost was just under $130. Although I could have fixed it myself there is no way that I could have done it as fast and as cleanly as the shop did. Besides momma said she didn't want me to do this one myself. So I'd better listen to her or pay the price later.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:28 AM
Deluxe06
4000 rounds a min
Originally Posted by TinyWonder
I thought I would post an update on my situation.

I had to wait a week to get the truck into the shop. They specialize in electrical work and I have had great experience with them in the past. It was definately worth the wait.

Apparently the squirrel got the wire that tells the starter solonoid when to give the starter the go juice. And several wires that controlled the A/C system.

The shop had it fixed with water tight connections and shrink tubing on all joints in under two hours. The work was done in a very professional way and I couldn't be happier.

All told the total cost was just under $130. Although I could have fixed it myself there is no way that I could have done it as fast and as cleanly as the shop did. Besides momma said she didn't want me to do this one myself. So I'd better listen to her or pay the price later.

Glad to see you got this fixed and are happy with the repairs.
Happy Motoring.

The Truck

Old 07-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Deluxe06
4000 rounds a min
Originally Posted by Fat Diesel

Here's my "recycling center" for the little *******s. The "attendant" is pretty badass. I started yelling at him to try and get him to fly away and get a good action photo. He just stared me down.

I like your recycling center, (NICE SHOT) got a few Hawks around here as well. They keep the rodents down to a minimum.

The Truck

Old 07-27-2010, 12:15 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That was a reasonable fix- Sounds like you have a good mechanic.