plates needed on an atv?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 04:16 PM
84-250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
plates needed on an atv?

from the ohio bmv site:
Effective June 7, 2010, APVs are required to have a license plate and registration sticker. The license plate and registration sticker are permanent and must remain with the vehicle, displayed in plain sight. A $34.75 registration fee will be collected for the issuance of the registration. All registrations are for three years and expire on Dec. 31, in the third year after the date of issuance.
Application for renewal of a registration may be made no earlier than 90 days prior to expiration.
An Ohio Certificate of Title must be presented to register an off-highway motorcycle or APV. Currently registered APV owners will be required to replace their APV decal with an APV license plate with any transaction until all decals have been replaced. Any current decals remain valid until their expiration, when they must be replaced with an APV license plate.

Whats the deal with this?
I cant find anymore info on this.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:04 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
WTF !!! how in the heck did this get sneaked in?

Who will provide me with a title after I purchase my APV?

If purchased at a licensed motor vehicle dealership, the dealer is required to make application for a title on the behalf of the purchaser for all APVs and off-road motorcycles within 30 days from the date of purchase by a customer. However, snowmobiles will continue to be untitled vehicles.
If purchased as a casual sale (from another individual), the purchaser is required to make application to transfer title into their own name within 30 days of purchase date.

Do I need a title to register?

Yes, if it was purchased after October 1, 2005. If it was purchased before that date, complete the BMV 5706 “Proof of Ownership Affidavit” and submit it at the time of application for registration.

Where can I purchase a 30-day tag for my new APV?

30-day tags are available for purchase from participating dealerships where you made the purchase or at any local Deputy Registrar. 30-day tags will not be issued for snowmobiles - snowmobiles are not titled.

I am not a resident of Ohio. What do I need to do to drive my APV in Ohio?

In order for residents of other states to use their APV/off-road motorcycle in Ohio, they are required to purchase a one-year registration, unless they are covered under the certificate of reciprocity as specified in Ohio Revised Code (ORC) 4503.37.

Do I need to get a license plate for my APV?

Effective June 7, 2010, APVs are required to have a license plate and registration sticker. The license plate and registration sticker are permanent and must remain with the vehicle, displayed in plain sight. A $34.75 registration fee will be collected for the issuance of the registration. All registrations are for three years and expire on Dec. 31, in the third year after the date of issuance.
Application for renewal of a registration may be made no earlier than 90 days prior to expiration.
An Ohio Certificate of Title must be presented to register an off-highway motorcycle or APV. Currently registered APV owners will be required to replace their APV decal with an APV license plate with any transaction until all decals have been replaced. Any current decals remain valid until their expiration, when they must be replaced with an APV license plate.

My current decal is still valid. Do I need to get license plates for my APV?

No. Any current decals remain valid until their expiration, when they must be replaced with an APV license plate.

Do I need a license plate for my snowmobile, off-highway motorcycle, mini-bike, or trail bike?

Registration certificates for snowmobiles, off-highway motorcycles, mini-bikes, and trail bikes will continue to be accompanied by an alphanumeric decal that is applied to the vehicle.

Can I drive on public roadways now that I have a license plate for my APV?

APV license plates do not entitle the rider to operate the APV on public roadways. Laws regarding operation of APVs have not changed.

If I qualify for the farm tax exemption, do I need a license plate?

No, you are not required to obtain a license plate if you qualify for the farm tax exemption.

My vehicle does not require a vehicle registration, do I need a plate?

No, if the vehicle does not require a registration, you are not required to obtain a license plate.

I have a temporary registration; does this require a decal or a plate?

A decal is issued for all temporary registrations.

ODPS | BMV | Frequently Asked Questions

Old 07-16-2010, 10:09 PM
84-250
Posting Guru
Is there any more info on this law elsewhere?

Old 10-27-2010, 10:23 PM
RUNVS
FTE Chapter Leader
I have heard about this same BULLS!@%^ law. Last I heard it got bumped into July but have only heard heresay since then.

My biggest problem with ALL of this is:
1) ATV's have become a HUGE market and that's why they now need titled
2) I might not even mind having to pay the fee for plates if Ohio was actually an ATV-FRIENDLY state. It isn't. As an avid rider it totally SUCKS for any place to ride. So we have Wayne National - big deal.

So, screw Ohio and they can kiss my big white **** if they find me NOT attaching these plates to my quads. I would rather trailer my quads to Hatfield McCoy every time I ride if that's what it takes!!! Wayne National - 3 hour drive, Hatfield-McCoy - 5 hour drive and worth every minute of it!!!

Pennsy is a reciprocal state so I can't even ride in PA w/o the proper OHIO stickers. What a joke!!! And I have TWO quads so old they didn't even HAVE titles but now I have to fill out paperwork to get some - again - a HUGE JOKE!!!

Old 10-28-2010, 06:11 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Filling out the paper work is not that bad, i just did it not long ago, traded it a quad runs on the water .

there is a good thing about this law, it will help with finding stolen quads a bit easier. Thefts of quads are way up everywhere..

Old 11-18-2010, 08:11 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Years back I was taking my quad to Wayne national Forest. Was told I needed a sticker to be able to ride. Great, when I bought it in '99 I didn't get a title. Had to take it to dealership for inspection(they never even came out to see it and check VIN), took paperwork downtown to get title then over to DMV for sticker. Haul it down there and they DON'T even look/ask for license when I get to Park!!! Nice, what a waste of time/money.

Sticker expired years ago, don't plan on getting new one since I don't ride it anywhere it matters.