5.4 Intake?

Old 07-02-2010, 01:57 PM
PolarbearF350
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 Intake?

Can anyone direct me in the direction for a 5.4l intake system?

Old 07-02-2010, 02:12 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year? Truck model? 2 or 3V? What are you trying to accomplish?

Old 07-02-2010, 03:21 PM
PolarbearF350
New User
Sorry bout that, 2005 F350 super duty, 3v 5.4 L

Old 07-02-2010, 03:25 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Okay - I'm a 150 guy, so I can't offer much advice on the 350 intakes. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will stop in and offer advice.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
Well, for an oem setup, there is really very little gain you can get from an intake swap especially in the low rpm rang the trucks run (5500 max)

Old 02-23-2011, 06:33 PM
BEAST428
Tuned
I just put a K&N FIPK on my 03 Excursion. What a difference!!!! Not much out of the hole but above 30mph open the throttle and it runs as never before. Wont yet beat my powerstroke but getting a little closer for this big pig.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:52 PM
IIFAIIENII
New User
I bought a CHEAP intake kit off eBay that came with the tubing, couplers, mass flow sensor adaptor and new hoses all for about $35. I then bought a K&N filter that matched my vehicle that i had looked up on their website for about $62. I then went and bought a sheet of 1/4 high heat plastic for about $9 and fabricated a half box kind of like the K&N set up. All in all i spent a little over $100 and have a set up thats pretty much just like the kit that K&N sells for $260 for my 5.4L. And it is a pretty noticable difference. Just goes to show that you can save alot of money with making something pretty similar. Hope this helps with anyone that would rather do it themselves than have someone do it for them. Especially someone that likes to save every last doller

Old 07-22-2011, 07:53 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
What is your AFR?

Old 07-22-2011, 08:09 PM
IIFAIIENII
New User
AFR? As in air fuel ratio or air flow ratio? Haha sorry not used to the abbreviations. But if you mean it to be fore me, I'm not sure. Hasn't been done long. I know there is a equation to figure the AFR but I just havent bothered. You're not going to acquire huge gains from an intake system.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:53 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
I ask because if the newly positioned MAF transfer function isn't identical (or really close) to the factory MAF, you might be running lean.

Running lean is bad.

You'll need a wideband O2 sensor and a way to log the data.

I suggest a trip to a local dyno shop before you burn up a piston or valve.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:53 AM
wizzy214
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by IIFAIIENII
I bought a CHEAP intake kit off eBay that came with the tubing, couplers, mass flow sensor adaptor and new hoses all for about $35. I then bought a K&N filter that matched my vehicle that i had looked up on their website for about $62. I then went and bought a sheet of 1/4 high heat plastic for about $9 and fabricated a half box kind of like the K&N set up. All in all i spent a little over $100 and have a set up thats pretty much just like the kit that K&N sells for $260 for my 5.4L. And it is a pretty noticable difference. Just goes to show that you can save alot of money with making something pretty similar. Hope this helps with anyone that would rather do it themselves than have someone do it for them. Especially someone that likes to save every last doller
pics????????????????????????????????

Old 01-08-2012, 04:18 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by wizzy214
pics????????????????????????????????

Old 01-08-2012, 10:32 AM
Beechkid
The 5.4 V8 if close to stock can only suck in a maximum of 480 cfm and a flat panel filter will flow 500 cfm, there is simply no way any CAI on a relatively stock engine can increase the air flow enough to exceed the ECM’s ability to adjust and maintain the correct fuel mixture, therefor there is NOT HP/TQ GAIN!. Some require a “custom” program to support the CAI.this isn't to gain any performance but it is because the design is poor resulting in false readings from the air intake sensors, etc….period! If you look at the dyno charts from many of these supposed HP/TQ increases, they are typically around 5%-7% at peak rpm ranges…….guess what, 5% is a standard deviation even amoungst mfg dynos and the most important item is……these “expert tuners” (at least most) do not have or choose not to test their results (in comparison to the oem intakes) during actual vehicle motion (or simulation- such as a wind tunnel) as the oems do. What many view as an issue (is the plastic intake tube with its noise canceling design) actually increases air pressure. It is the same hydraulic concept used by fire fighters creating water supply where psi is low. By having the air cross the path at a 90 degree angle, the pressure is increased proportionally. Fire fighters use what is called a “4-way valve” or “Blake Valve” at the hydrant where the water is cycled through the fire engine (pump) and sent back into the valve crossing the water flow at a 90 degree angle. In this case it also acts as a sound canceling device! At low speeds, this can reduce the flow a tad (which is what most “feel”), but in terms of peak hp/tq, a good high flow filter is all that is needed.

Recently, Testand Corporation conducted an ISO standards test on automotive air filters which can be viewed at this link: http://www.dieselbombers.com/chevrol...r-testing.html. All I can say is this explains in detail the reason for

(Arlen) SPICER wrote,

“Now that I am not doing the tests and my objectivity is not necessary, let me explain my motivation. The reason I started this crusade was that I was seeing people spend a lot of money on aftermarket filters based on the word of a salesperson or based on the misleading, incomplete or outright deceiving information printed on boxes and in sales literature."

To actually achieve some gain at higher speeds i did build a ram air ayatem for mine, based upon the Hemi- Ram Air systems from the 60's....but there is no gain seen below 55mph, with a slight performance increase & MPG seen at 70 mph+.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=16190

Old 08-20-2012, 06:17 PM
SyN
Freshman User
Beechkid: Did this modification cause any codes to be thrown? Or to make the 5.4L run lean or rich?

I was thinking about doing this to my sons 08... Since most of his miles in the future will be highway... for the next 4 to 6 yrs...

Thanks Lonnie

Old 08-20-2012, 06:30 PM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by SyN
Beechkid: Did this modification cause any codes to be thrown? Or to make the 5.4L run lean or rich?

I was thinking about doing this to my sons 08... Since most of his miles in the future will be highway... for the next 4 to 6 yrs...

Thanks Lonnie
No codes or other issues because I used the OEM plastic housing that contains the oem sensors @ the oem locations. I run Wix oem replacement filters & inch per inch, they flow 98% of what a K&N unit does but the post filter flow is much better (less turbulance). Also the ECM can handle fuel mixture adjustments up to 10%, so as long as all the sensors are located/functioning correctly, there should not be any A/F issues. You certainly take my concept and add a hose onto the metal intake location through the radiator faring which would add a little flow, but I decided not to because I 1) attached ribbon to visually see the flow of air and where its located provided what visually appeared to be very good flow and 2) to reduce the amount of dirt the intake would undoubtedly inhale if I ran the hose through to the grill (flow difference was minimal)...keep the filter cleaner a little longer.

In terms of throttle response, 0-30 is the same (although initial throttle from a dead stop seems a little better), 30-60, accel is the same but throttle response seems better and 60+, you can definitely feel improvement (especially in the passing department)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.4 Intake?