6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

2008 6.4 Blowing black smoke

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 11:16 PM
Thurston23
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 6.4 Blowing black smoke

Hi everyone

Just got my truck back from my local dealer because I had in for servicing and trying to figure out why it blows black smoke. Well after spending 150$ on them to tell me that nothing is wrong even though it blows more smoke then my 6.0l did. The truck is a 08 f350 with 71000km on it. my tail pipe is building up black soot in it and its non stop blowing smoke from every stop and go and everytime i give it a little throttle. Now I know for fact that its not normal. Can anyone give me any inout into this issue? Seeing as there is no computer issue they say its fine and no problems were found.

Thanks

Old 06-30-2010, 11:23 PM
mick1955
Senior User
If the exhaust tip is black more than likely you have a cracked or defective dpf (diesel particulate filter)....

Old 07-01-2010, 12:27 AM
Thurston23
New User
See thats what I said,maybe the dpf system isnt running properly. But sense I'm not a ford tech they pretty much said I dont know anything. Also my fuel milage going up from17l for 100km to 22l for 100km is normal to BS. But hey I just own the truck what do I know.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:40 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
Here in the states there is emissions component coverage, don't know about where you are. So first I think I would check the warranty on emissions so you know where you stand on costs.

Black smoke is a violation since 08 model year. Your tips should be clean. Typically the black tips and smoke is in indication of a failed DPF, however what else did they check?

I maybe a fueling or a sensor problem as well. Did they reflash the PCM or check for codes?

Sounds to me like you need a new dealer. How is the mileage and performance? Also how often are you regening?

Old 07-01-2010, 11:11 AM
oger
New User
Originally Posted by Thurston23
See thats what I said,maybe the dpf system isnt running properly. But sense I'm not a ford tech they pretty much said I dont know anything. Also my fuel milage going up from17l for 100km to 22l for 100km is normal to BS. But hey I just own the truck what do I know.
My guess is that you live in Canada but the US mandated to hane close to no particulates. If your mileage has gone up and and you are getting black smoke, most likely your DPF is cracked. If they say it is normal I would request Ford Customer service to give you a written statement saying it is normal.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:22 AM
R-T0r21on
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If your truck has to go through emissions testing, chances are it will fail. Show the dealer the failed test paperwork. That way, you'll have something to back up your claim.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Thurston23
New User
Originally Posted by senix
Here in the states there is emissions component coverage, don't know about where you are. So first I think I would check the warranty on emissions so you know where you stand on costs.

The emissions control is the same up here in canada as you guys down south.

Black smoke is a violation since 08 model year. Your tips should be clean. Typically the black tips and smoke is in indication of a failed DPF, however what else did they check?

My tips are building up a hard black coarting in the tips. I am not sure what they check since they said the smoke is normal becaues the 7.3 and 6.0 did it LOL.

I maybe a fueling or a sensor problem as well. Did they reflash the PCM or check for codes?

They did not reflash the pcm and they said there was no codes so there is nothing wrong. Because last time I checked you needed a code to warrant a poblem
Sounds to me like you need a new dealer. How is the mileage and performance? Also how often are you regening?

My performance is lagging a bit and the milage is going to crap,over the last few months it has gone from 17L for 100km to 22L for 100km.

Because of this treatmeant I am now going to be driving 4 hours to use my old dealer. Never in my life have I ever been treated like such crap by a dealership.
Because of this treatmeant I am now going to be driving 4 hours to use my old dealer. Never in my life have I ever been treated like such crap by a dealership. I even pointed out on a truck there with over 100000km on it and the tips looked brand new. That didntmatter though.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:05 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Have you contacted Ford of Canada over this, might even send them a pic of your pipes and pics for another trucks pipes as well.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:22 PM
iqoair
New User
I went through the same process here in Canada. I asked them to call ford tech line about it, as they told me it was normal as well because everything checked out ok (no codes). Tech line told them to replace the dpf as the only way particulates like that ( black smoke ) is if there is a problem internally in the dpf. After they replaced it the problem was fixed.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Thurston23
New User
Originally Posted by senix
Have you contacted Ford of Canada over this, might even send them a pic of your pipes and pics for another trucks pipes as well.

Not yet,this all jsut happened yesterday and today is Canada day so they are closed. But I am calling them to tomorrow about the issue. The truck was in for the damp days white smoke issue too but they couldnt find a problem with the motor and I had even told them about the TSB 08-25-1. THis dealership is just ignorant.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:28 PM
iqoair
New User
Originally Posted by Thurston23
Not yet,this all jsut happened yesterday and today is Canada day so they are closed. But I am calling them to tomorrow about the issue. The truck was in for the damp days white smoke issue too but they couldnt find a problem with the motor and I had even told them about the TSB 08-25-1. THis dealership is just ignorant.

Where in Canada ?

Old 07-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Thurston23
New User
Im in castlegar BC.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:24 AM
Thurston23
New User
UPDATE

I was back at the fine dealership that said my truck was fine yesterday after I had a little chat for Ford Canada. I was told to talk to their other service manager which I did this time. When I told him the white smoke issue he knew right away what the problem was and said the inter cooler is the issue. Which I tried to explain the first time I was there but noone listened. So then I took him for a drive so he could see the black smoke. Right from the time we left the parking lot he laughed saying his 99 7.3 doesnt smoke like that and there is noway that is normal. So this guy said he will take care of everything for me and get my money back and that he is sorry it ever came to this and I did the right thing by calling Ford Canada. So it goes in on wednesday and Ill let you know the verdict this time

Old 07-03-2010, 12:10 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Glad Ford of Cananda was there to help.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Thurston23
New User
Update

So the truck is fixed from the issues that were there,new dpf,new intercooler and some fitting had to be resealed. So I get the truc khome 2 days later water pump blows. So tomorrow Ill get to see how long this will take to fix lol.

Quick Reply: 2008 6.4 Blowing black smoke