Sponsored by: Moser

Lariat vs King Ranch

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 08:10 PM
RJS5689
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lariat vs King Ranch

We're currently looking at F150s, but I had a few questions about trim differences. I realize the King Ranch is basically a fully loaded Lariat and that the same creature comforts are possible in both. What are the differences besides interior color and wheels? I've heard some people say the leather in the King Ranch is extremely soft and a lot nicer than the leather in the Lariat models. What other differences are there?

Old 06-14-2010, 08:40 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
The Lariat has chrome bumpers which makes the truck look real nice. I've read plenty of complaints about the durability of the KR leather. I'd be proud to own either one.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:48 PM
stephen.osborne1
Cargo Master
Received 178 Likes on 126 Posts
There are different wheels too... I believe different color options as well.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:57 PM
calforhelp
New User
Yes, the leather in the King Ranch is much nicer in my opinion. It's more of an unfinished, suede look. You know, the kind of leather that is a little um... furry?

The Lariat leather is more shiny.

Basically the entire KR package is more luxurious IMO and I think the wheels and chrome bumpers just make the truck look beautiful but still very tough. I believe the KR is still a Lariat just a higher model.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:40 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by calforhelp
Yes, the leather in the King Ranch is much nicer in my opinion. It's more of an unfinished, suede look. You know, the kind of leather that is a little um... furry?

They must have switched leather yet again, because it shouldn't be like suede. Not even their saddles are like suede unless you specifically ask for that option, they don't do that generally right off the bat. Unless times are really tough.

Originally Posted by calforhelp
Basically the entire KR package is more luxurious IMO and I think the wheels and chrome bumpers just make the truck look beautiful but still very tough. I believe the KR is still a Lariat just a higher model.
The KR is just a lariet + a little extra. One thing that you have to remember, if you want durability with the leather, "your" going to have to give it a little more care in terms of conditioning. I typically condition mine the same time I conditions the saddles I have(which are also KR made, it pays to have a grandmother that went to grade school with the master saddlemaker there) which turns out to be once a month.

Now there are a lot of different conditions that you can use, some will have different affects on the leather then others. It just depends on what look you are going for with regard to the seats.

However, if they have gone to more of a suede leather, then you won't be conditioning that as suede does not do as well with the conditions that I'm used to using and the only ones that I know about being on the market today. But then again, I don't have reason to look for condition for suede leather as none of my saddles even have suede.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:26 AM
calforhelp
New User
I'm talking in experience from a 2004 so things most definitely have changed a little bit. The seats aren't really full-on suede, the best way I can describe them is semi-unfinished leather. There's definitely no doubt that it's real though and very, very soft.

And yes, conditioning is definitely a must because they do dry out especially down here in the Florida sun. I use this for conditioning LEATHER CONDITIONER - King Ranch Saddle Shop it works fantastic.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:27 PM
Mizzou
Senior User
I had a KR back in 2006 when I lived in Alaska. The seats did require alot of attention because always getting in with wet clothes and the heaters always blowing heat. However they seemed to hold up (with conditioning) better than my 99 SD Lariet.

I am hoping this is the same for this year because I just bought a 10 Screw KR today.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:30 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I close my eyes I can still smell the KR leather.....I miss that smell. The KR conditioner smells better than Neatsfoot oil but is more expensive. I did mine 2-3 times a year and they were much softer than my buddies Lariat leather. I'm guessing from new they'll be equally as stiff but the KR I had those babys were soft now! And durable.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:11 AM
wildlifeguy
New User
Leather is the big difference

New here, but have been reading a lot since upgrading my 06 scab 4X4 XLT to a 2010 screw 4X4 XLT. Had to post on this one because of one of my gripes about the leather option. In the KR, you actually get all leather seats. On the lariat version, at least up through the 08 MY, the only leather was on the small center seat inserts where your butt and lower back touch. The outside thigh supports, upper back, and headrests are just vinyl. It's the same in my wife's edge limited. I was very dissapointed, the thin vinyl seems to show abrasions. The KR leather is very supple, but scratches even if you look at it hard; gives it that great rustic character though if it is taken care of. Just my thoughts. I actually prefer leather interior because of the cleanability and durability over cloth. However, the new perforated leather takes away from the durability point, guess I will have to go aftermarket.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:45 PM
bamacommander
Senior User
I have owned 3 KR trucks. A 2006 F250, 2007 F150, and now a 2010 F150. I think the leather in the 2010 is a little bit different then the 2006 and 2007. It seems to stand up to water spots and other types of things a little better then prior year models. All 3 trucks were drop dead gorgeous, but my favorite so far is the 2010.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:45 PM
johnh2000
Junior User
KR leather

The KR leather is untreated, very soft, & has a great smell. It has to be regularly
conditioned. The KR also is all leather seating surfaces, sides,back, map pocket, headrests-everything. The Lariat is leather seating surfaces on the front-(no vinyl bolsters) but the headrest is vinyl. The back though is leather only in side inserts- all bolsters, center, etc. is vinyl. Like the back seat on my 01 Lariat much better- all leather seating surfaces with a pretty good grade of leather.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:13 AM
3putt
Senior User
Both great trucks. I went with the 2010 King ranch because I like the KR leather seats. Don't know if there is a price difference or how much.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:02 PM
SteveVFX4
Fleet Mechanic
a few more differences - King Ranch comes with power folding mirrors and 2nd row/rear heated seats. Lariat does not have these...

Old 07-07-2010, 12:31 PM
04XLTRUNNER
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kr interior is nice, but i would prefer the platinum. step dad has one with the chocolate looking leather and that smells so good and is very confortable.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:04 PM
04DarkShadowGT
Freshman User
I never even knew the KR was named after a saddle shop. I just thought it was a model name. Learn something new everyday.

Quick Reply: Lariat vs King Ranch