Propane System Fuel Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 05:19 PM
money pit 69
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Propane System Fuel Gauges

Hello, Ive been working on my 1972 Olson Kurbmaster Van (OLD BREAD VAN) that has a propane system. Strickley propane. The van is on a Ford chassis with ford running gear. Both tanks were found to be leaking. The main 50 gal leaked at the fuel gauge bad rubber gasket. Since fixed. The smaller tank I'm guessing 25 to 30 gal. It leaked at a plug. Since fixed. There is (1) gauge on the dash for both tanks. There is also a switch that switches the gauge and the tanks from left to right. On the frame I found a spliter manifold which has (2) inlets and (1) outlet that goes up to the engine. When I switch to the left tank the gauge registers full with nothing in the tank. Seems like a short to me. WHAT DO YOU THINK? The manifold has a electric solenoid (1) for each tank and I'm not sure they work either. HOW CAN I CHECK THEM? Should the power wire run from that dash switch to the solenoid and the gauge powering both at one time? The engine runs great on BQ bottle bypassing the manifold. HELP THis propne is a whole other breed to me.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:58 PM
kenjh
Posting Guru
Hi and welcome , someone will talk to you soon .I have propain on my 79 bronco and I am still learning, invest in a book on propane it helps.if you can find the manufactures label for the system try contacting them ,,,or a local propane service center..thats what I had to do..I have learned ..um respect for gas leaks but then I am still learning..good luck

Old 06-14-2010, 04:10 PM
gasman6674
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Run a separate ground from one of the gauge bolts to a good frame ground. The older sender on the gauge use to have two wires one to the dial and one for groun it didnt matter which one. The newer units have a single wire and ground thru the tank mounting due to rust it may be wonky. If you are having issues running hook the hose going to the vaporiser to only to the one tank with fuel and see if it will run then.
normally we use a mechanial check to keep the larger tank from cross/over filling the smaller one. I dont care for electric manifolds if that is what you have be cause they fail

Let me know
regards

Old 07-14-2010, 09:28 PM
money pit 69
Senior User

Follow Up

First thank you gasman and ken for your input. Sorry I took so long to get back to this porject other brush fires burning. So since my last tread I fixed the leaks. Took the truck down to the local propane dealer the checked it out again before putting fuel in. At that time i was running on the BQ tank still so I thought I would just return home with that and change out there. Bad idea I ran out on the way home, had to lay under and change hoses and hope the truck tanks worked. Did the work truck started and away I went. It was running so I left well enough alone until I got home. Sorry about the soap box.

OK now we are on the truck tanks. The truck on the right tank runs fine when I switch the left tank runs out of fuel. The yard guy at the propane dealer told me I had electric shut off solnoids. When powered the shut off that tank and open the other one. How do I check them can I feel them and when powered feel them work?
Still having gauge problems, I noticed there is a round item hooked into the gauge looks like it might be a detector or something. Also ther is a red light looks like a after marker light hooked in also (neither of these seems to work.
I found a install plate unbder the hood the system was put in in Aug 1987 by Petrolane of Portland Ore. Any help would be nice THX David Money PIt 69

Old 07-15-2010, 08:05 AM
gasman6674
Posting Guru
Go to your local LP dealer and have them get you a sherwood PV3855 bulkhead manifold tee. That unit will allow you to leave both tanks open and keep you from "crossfilling" from one to the other. The only drawback is you will have to watch your fuel level like a hawk or you might end up on the side of the road again. As I said before I dont care for electric switchover Usealy one or both of the solinoids will do funny stuff. You could also manually close one tank and the swap when low by closing "main" tank and then opening the "reserve". If you are have issues with just one tank rule out the solinoid by removing it and try to run on that tank to the engine direct. If you still have problems you could have a weak excess flow in that tanks valve and the valve will need to be changed by you dealer. If you could post pics of the tanks and etc it would be helpful.

Regards

Old 07-17-2010, 10:48 AM
money pit 69
Senior User

I'm still trying to get this system working. Finally I got the crossover working correct. The switch was wired wrong. Now my problem is to get the fuel gauge working.The gauge is a Rochester Dial 5 90043 if that means anything to anyone. I researched a little but found nothing. Whats got me puzzled is its receiving no power from the switch as its wired now. One side of the switch is controling the crosover solonoids and the gauge is wired to the over side with no power as far as I can tell. Do I need a jumper to power up that side. There are two terminals on the back of the gauge. There 1 wire coming from each tank. Should'nt the wire coming from the tank go to the switch so that when you are in that position left or right tank it reads the fuel level. The switch has 6 lugs and the 2 sides are seperate. Any help would be wounderful. I would like to lay this to rest. THX David

Old 07-17-2010, 10:51 AM
money pit 69
Senior User

Gasman to follow up on your reply. I went to the propane guys around here and they have all quit service, minor household only. All they want to do is deliver gas. THX for your help.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:03 PM
gasman6674
Posting Guru
Unfortunitly thats the way the industry is leaning now

The "sender"wire from your panel gauge goes to the center terminal on your switch. Then one wire from each dial goes to the other terminals so if drive side tank solinoid is on the top terminal then the drives side dial goes to the other top terminal same for the bottom.
The dials get there "power" from the panel gauge, they will have to be grounded either thru the tank or with a separate ground. There shoud be three terninals on the back of the panel (dash) gauge 12v, grd and sender also there should be an ohm value on it either 30 ohm or 90 ohm (the ohm sign is a little horseshoe looking caracter)
The senders (dials on the tank) will also be marked the ohm values HAVE TO match or it will not work.

Hope This Helps

Regards

Last edited by gasman6674; 07-17-2010 at 03:04 PM. Reason: add on
Old 07-18-2010, 10:02 AM
money pit 69
Senior User

Jim (gasman) THX so much your reply cleared up all of my questions. I think I finally might get it. Later today I will try and get the wiring straighten out and let you know the out come. ONe question where does one find the parts if I need them. THX Again David (money pit 69)

Old 07-19-2010, 09:30 AM
gasman6674
Posting Guru
LP Dealer "technically" Let me know what you need and I will see what I can do