S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

I need a good mechanic in LA for my '95 F150 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 12:51 PM
CraigK
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need a good mechanic in LA for my '95 F150 4x4

Anybody have a person they like, that's honest? I'm around Burbank, Hollywood, SF Valley area.

My truck is riding like it's on rocks. Something isn't right.

Thanks

Old 06-06-2010, 03:42 PM
fun_suv
Senior User
The best mechanic in the LA area, is....wait for it.....me.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:42 PM
CraigK
Senior User
So what's the name of your shop and how do I call you?

Old 06-09-2010, 07:29 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dave doesn't have a shop, Craig...I think he's just trying to be funny.

Here's a bump - hopefully one of our members from The Valley will see this and have a real suggestion for you.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:19 PM
Calfdemon
Freshman User
Might be a little far north for your taste, but Adam (owner) at Country Auto in Santa Clarita is about as honest as they come... I took one of my trucks there years ago that I was sure I knew what was wrong and knew it was going to cost around $500 to fix. My regular machanic at that time was too backed up and I needed it fixed right away. My truck had been "diagnosed" twice prior to me taking it to Country Auto and both places said the same problem (which is what I also thought it was) and estimated the repair at around $500.

I ended up taking it to Country Auto because he could get to it that day and I tell him what I "know" the problem is and expect to pay around $500.

I get a phone call 45 minutes later to have Adam tell me that I was wrong and it was a $20 part and a wire that was bad. He said he fixed it and just wanted me to pay him the $20 for the part and didnt even charge labor. He could have had me for $500 like those other machanics, but that is not his nature. Needless to say, I have been going to him ever since.

And just to throw in another story, my brakes went out and I had no money to fix them. He took my truck and fixed them and told me to pay him whenever I could. I went in there every payday for 2 months and gave him some till it was paid off. Of course, I was a regular customer at that time, but again, thats just the kind of guy he is.

Here is a google link with all the info.. And neither of those reviews on that page are from me, but now I think I might add one!

Country Automotive Inc - Google Maps

Old 06-10-2010, 11:15 PM
CraigK
Senior User
I thought he might be kidding, but then again, I didn't think someone would be funny when I was looking for help.

Thanks for the tip on Country Auto. The funny thing is, I just got a storage space right there around the corner on Oak. Does he work on 4x4's? I took it to an off-road shop in Burbank today. The diagnosis was that the Monroe shocks I put on aren't able to handle my truck, and I should get some Bilsteins.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:59 AM
Calfdemon
Freshman User
You can call him and ask. Adam pretty much always answers the phone and he works on just about anything. The guy will tell you straight up what he can and cant do, and after looking at your vehicle, he will tell you if something needs to be done soon or what you can wait to do till later.. He never tries to suggest unneeded work and will tell it like it is.

I have seen plenty of 4X4's at his shop and he is trusted to work on alot of classics and high dollar cars as well. I take my 67 Firebird show car to him and alot of my friends with restored cars take their cars to him as well.

He is currently going through my "new" bumpside and when I dropped it off the other day, there was a Ferrari, a Viper, and a Lotus all being worked on in his bays. Needless to say, he is trusted to do a good job on cars that are worth some money to people.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:45 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Don at Walt's Automotive in North Hollywood is the most honest mechanic I know. Actually, one of the most honest persons I know.

818-765-7060

Pop

Old 06-24-2010, 04:23 PM
T8R
Laughing Gas
Thanks for the good info, I'm up in Santa Clarita as well. I've managed to do my own work so far, but it will be good to have someplace I can send my wife to while I'm deployed or training.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:03 PM
orng1
Postmaster
Ah man did you say Monroe's? Wow those are junk. I remember my dad had a Lincoln Continental with bad shocks. He got a set of those and I put them all the way around. He took it for a spin and said "Put the stock ones back on. He was going to get his money back." I spent hrs working on it and in less than 2 minutes he saw they were junk. I drove it around the block and took them off. The 10 yr old stock ones were better.