Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

My daughter had a wreck

Old 05-24-2010, 06:52 PM
willy3486
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My daughter had a wreck

My daughter had a wreck today. She messed up her focus bad in the front. She was stunned and not hurt. A woman pulled out in front of her and she went under her truck. The good thing is she wasn't going fast,maybe 20 at the most. Anyway I got to looking at it and hopefully its not to bad. I hope I can fix it. It wrinkled the hood and driver fender. I might replace the passinger as well. It also got the radiator and ac coil in front. But the other core, I think its the transmission cooler looks to be fine. I will also have to replace the front bumper. the frame on each side looks fine. The part that the hood goes into will also have to be replaced. So I was wondering if anyone knew of one in the middle TN area for sale. I would like to get one that has a good front clip. I could care less about the engine or anything past the front windsheild. I would buy a whole car if the price is right. If anyone has one or knows of one let me know. Here is a link to the pictures.
http://family.webshots.com/album/577780773lhDlUU

Old 05-24-2010, 08:38 PM
torkum
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad she's ok and wow on the 20 mph damage!
As for parts you might check with Fann's in Manchester.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:46 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Glad to here as well that she's okay!
I would also check with local auto insurance agents / reliable body shops around here; for flood salavage vehicles; that they might of total due to flood damage & not body damage as well.
Just a thought!

Mitch

Old 05-25-2010, 06:12 AM
scottzj
Hangin 10 bra
Thank God she is ok. The car is easily replaced, glad to hear she is going to be fine.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:13 AM
willy3486
Senior User
I may check with fanns but I am leary of them. When we got the car I needed a hood for it. The original owner had put a bra on the hood and it rusted out. I bought one there and it was marked with the wrong year. I was able to sell it though. I have had the best luck with Pelhams out of Woodbury. As far as flood damaged cars I had the same thought. I put a ad on craigslist for one. I would like to buy one whole if I can find one hit in the rear or a blown engine. This engine is almost new, it was put in by the po. Its a really good running car and from what I can tell the damage is mainly easy to replace stuff. Just bolt back on, no welding. As far as the speed goes she was barely moving. The airbags didn't even go off. What happened was she was going down the road and the car in front of her was turning to the left so she slowed down. Then a woman on the right pulled out in front of her and just behind the turning car. So the woman who pulled out in front of her then proceeded to hit her brakes as soon as she got on the road. If she had stayed put my daughter would not have hit anybody. Apparently the lady is known for that. She will pull out in front of you and then goes 20 mph.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:10 AM
Customcab
Postmaster
I'm heading up to louisville Ky pull-a-part thursday; will check their lot; might come across a Focus.
Is there different body styles for year era; or are they the same?

Mitch

Old 05-25-2010, 10:19 AM
willy3486
Senior User
Originally Posted by Customcab
I'm heading up to louisville Ky pull-a-part thursday; will check their lot; might come across a Focus.
Is there different body styles for year era; or are they the same?

Mitch

As far as the cars goes I think if its a 4 door from 2000-2003 it "should" work. I am going to look around and see if I can find a whole car. I missed a chance to get one that was almost like hers with even the same color paint for 700. It even had new tires. It has just sold in the last day or so. It had a blown gasket which wouldn't matter.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:07 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
Glad shes OK, good luck with the car.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:57 PM
willy3486
Senior User
How would people here feel about the car if I fix it. I have had rebuilt ones that I fixed and they drove fine. This one looks bad but from what I have seen of it the damaged parts are bolt on stuff,hood,radiator,etc. The frame across I measured and was the right measurement. I won't be able to find exactly until I get the parts on. Anyway would you let your child drive it? I can't see anything that causes me a concern at this point. I would like to get another but after getting this one a few months back its not in the finances and she needs one to start college. I would feel safe in it but she is my baby and I want a car as safe as I can have for her. So would you feel safe using it.

Junkyards are not what they use to be. 20 years ago you could go to a junkyard and find the parts. Now you are lucky if you even find the model, and don't even expect to pay less than new parts. I think my best bet is to find a whole one with a bad engine and buy it all. Gripes me to no end. I could buy new parts for probably 200 less than I was quoted for a front end I still would have to have painted. I saw where one just like hers sold for 700 and even had fairly new tires and the same color. It was online. I need to get to Nashville and see what I can find. Anyone hears of one let me know. I think a 2000-2004 will work.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
If its only cosmetic damage; thats fixable; ( but you got to wavier the cost verses the repair) ; but if a vehicle has major frame damaged and crack frame; I wouldn't let my child or wife drive one for that matter. As I'm typing this just got a call for a car verse deer accident out on I-24.
Is there going to be insurance agent involve? They might total car if 75% or more repiar price equals total value.

Mitch

Old 05-25-2010, 08:35 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
It's NOT 75%, if any steering, suspension component, or frame damage is visible, BAM totaled, I know this from experience, requires papers to be filed to put it back on the road, dad did this last year with my grandmothers car.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:44 PM
willy3486
Senior User
So far what I have found is mainly sheet metal damage. So structural pieces other than the radiator support. I do plan on having it checked out good before she drives it if we are able to repair it. It didn't even cut any hoses. The front bumpers foam inside wasn't even cut. The vinyl outside of it just got ripped. So I hope we can have luck with it. I also plan on taking it to see if it got out of alignment the first time I can take it out. I plan on getting off all the parts that are damaged on Friday. I will know more then.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:09 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
Originally Posted by maples01
It's NOT 75%, if any steering, suspension component, or frame damage is visible, BAM totaled, I know this from experience, requires papers to be filed to put it back on the road, dad did this last year with my grandmothers car.

All the dealing I ever seen with insurance companies is base on a precentage of valve not area of damage. Only exception is frame damage.
I'm no expert; just my dealings. I'm sure each type agent has there bag of tricks to determine extend of cost verse total!

Mitch

Old 05-25-2010, 10:55 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Yep, I said frame, the steering stuff that bolts on the frame counts. Dad had the Honda rebuilt pretty cheap, was totaled, air bag deployment is also an immediate total.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:54 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup air bag will do it for sure.
We have a totaled car right now. Most clean car in the driveway. Airbags were deployed and fender/bumber slightly damaged. TOTALED!
I got it for half the cost of a regular one and it looks better than most others I see.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My daughter had a wreck