Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 f150 manual door locks not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 04:37 PM
chrismartinez0
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 f150 manual door locks not working

first off thanks for all the help im getting from you guys. you are awesome. i have a 1994 f150 4.9l 6cyl that has sat for three years and im finally getting it back up and running.

the issue im having now is that the drivers and passengers door locks are not working when i turn the key. Is this something i can fix myself or do i have to bow down and go to a locksmith? i have a haynes manual that im using to do all the repair with (along with this awesome site) but it says nothing about door locks. could somebody give me a step by step guide on how to remove the door lock cylinders or at least point me the right way. i would really like to keep the same key so i dont end up like those old chevy guys....lol door key and ignition key. i dont have the faintest idea about how to remove those please help.. thanks in advance

p.s while im asking for help anybody have any ideas about an a/c leak im having filled it up with freon had a friend use a "sniffer" and electronic ear to listen for leaks couldnt smell or hear any it held pressure under a vacuum and with freon but the next day all 3 cans of freon where gone. any ideas havent changed anything but checks the accumalator for leaks and the manifold behind the compressor no smells in the cab no obvious leaks..................SORRY SO LONG WINDED............

Old 05-21-2010, 05:44 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you tried removing the door panels and spraying some PB Blaster on the door latch mechanisms? You can get some in them from outside the door too, through where the striker bolt fits... Actually what exactly is the issue the locks will physically not turn with the keys (but the inside lock actuators work properly), or is the whole setup nicely frozen? Also, dumb question, but are you 100% sue you are using the correct key for the locks?

On your A/C leak issue - pump in some refrigerant with dye in it (can be bought at about any parts store that sells the regular cans), next day the dye will glow under a black light and you'll hopefully find your leak's source.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:05 PM
chrismartinez0
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ha ha yeah i am using the correct keys. the lock turns with the key but will not unlock the door same with passenger side but the door unlocks fine with a pull of the inside door handle or lifting the lock **** (near the window) just the actually cylinder not working. it turns but does not unlike the truck. i was looking at a picture on napaonline of the mechanism and i think the little plastic part broke off i would imagine. it is a 16 yr old truck that has sat for 3 years. how hard is it to change these out................thanks for all the help

Old 05-21-2010, 09:53 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll have to pull the door panels and visually inspect the linkage between the key locks and the latch mechanisms. However it being a '94 truck, it probably has that extremely retarded plastic lever at each key lock - if you're lucky the linkage rods just slipped off those levers, if you're unlucky the levers actually broke and you'll need new locks. To remove the locks you need to put a flat-blade screwdriver between the door shell and the metal tab sticking out of the door shell in the door jamb area right next to the key lock, the tab is part of a springy sheetmetal part that keeps the key locks to the doors on the inside of the outer skin - when you pull the tab the whole part will come out and then the locks will be loose enough to where you can remove them from the outside of the doors.