Texas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: LibTimothy

Question for the Texas Coastal Members

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 07:41 AM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for the Texas Coastal Members

Wanting to know if there is anyone out there that fishes the coast?I love to fish down there but do not know alot about it,where to go,when to go,what to use.I would like to come down and fish if anybody is available.Would pay for fuel,bait,ect if you have a boat or whatever.I can return the favor in the freshwater department...Thanks

Old 05-25-2010, 07:02 AM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Nobody on here lives on or fishes the coast???

Old 05-27-2010, 06:15 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
I used to live on the coast; Seabrook. Man, the fishing on the coast was so easy when i was a kid. We used to go to the seafood market and buy a couple pounds of fresh(not pink) small shrimp with heads on. Then pop the heads off, and snake the shrimp body onto the hook with the tip coming out of the belly. If the fish took the bait more than the hook then we'd curl the shrimp body on to the hook tip. I loved fishing the coast. It was a smorgasboard-you'd never know what you'd catch. I've caught redfish, flounder, sea trout, ugly dogfish, albino eels, tons-o-catfish, and more. I've seen guys fish the deep boat chanels from the shore with very heavy duty gear and crabs cut into quarters as bait. They brought up a huge 30+lb red snapper.

I never had much luck with the artificial saltwater lures, but others have.

Our fishing was most productive early in the mornings or at dusk if the skies were clear. We also had great fishing in drizzly wet weather too. I've never done it, but would love to try it; you can also gig for flounder in shallow water at night with a flash light and spear. No bait required there.

We did our fishig from the banks, piers, and even wade fishing. The wade fishing was fun in the middle of the summer-but you have to be careful of any dangerous underwater structure that may cut or entangle you-especially after hurricane Ike churned things up a couple years ago.

I can't wait to get back down there. I'm stuck in Tulsa for awhile. But next week my family and i are heading down to League City for a weeks vacation. We can't wait!!! My boys and i are bringing our fishing poles!!!

****One thing for you all on the coast; is the oil spill affecting seafood quality? and is it affecting price? (oysters too?)*********

Old 05-28-2010, 05:16 AM
plumber01
Post Fiend
Barry, recently sold my boat, but when I had the time to really go fishing, I only used live shrimp, caught flounder, sand trout, speckled trout, reds, sheepshead, and others, I've tried other things like squid, and artificial lures, but I have the best luck with live shrimp. Rocky seems like he might be a fishing guru though.