Train Horns. LOUD horns.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 11:28 AM
4570forever
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train Horns. LOUD horns.

2004 F250, FX4.
Looking for affordable, approx. $400.00 or less, LOUD train sound horns .
I was set to go Seige but can't open their site any more. Looking at the Maximus III on Train Horn kits. com BUT wonder if it is the best for the $$$.
I am a volunteer firefighter and sometime even 2 electronic sirens don't penetrate other vehicles. I want something that will get thru (hopefully without breaking the windows, but if necessary so be it). A siren simply says "theres an emergency vehicle behind me and wants me to move", wheras a large loud horn says "there is something big and ugly behind me and will run over me if I don't move"!
I don't intend to use them for "scare toys", but as a tool for traffic avoidance.
I am wide open to suggestions, cussin's, discussin's.
Thanks
HL

Old 05-19-2010, 06:02 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
If you're allowed to put a siren on, why not use the Siren boxes with the air horns? With the right speaker you'll hit dBs near really expensive air powered air horns.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:46 AM
4570forever
New User
I do, but it just doesn't seem to have the same effect.
HL

Old 05-20-2010, 09:26 PM
fatboyf150
Senior User
Originally Posted by 4570forever
I do, but it just doesn't seem to have the same effect.
HL
i agree. when running code 3 in the engine, most cars still dont hear us until i hit the Q or blast their eardrums out with the air horns. i have 2 100w speakers on my pov and still have a hard time moving people. id love to have a set of train horns added to each engine and tanker we have that blew with the emergency horns.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:36 AM
4570forever
New User
We have Grovers and Q's on our primary engines, they will generally move traffic.
I run 2 SVP 400's (100/200w)w/air horn, 1 with 2 spkrs, 1 with 1 spkr. Run both on "Phaser" and sometimes you you'll get the attention of the oblivious. Generally I find people will yield if they know you're behind them BUT todays vehicles attentuate so much sound then add the radio/cd, cell phones, kids yelling and you damn near have to break the windows to be heard.
I beleive the more racaus, deeper sound of a LOUD train horn stands a better chance of cutting thru the vehicle sound proofing and the distractions. Once they realize you're back there they "hear" the siren and see the lights, they generally move over.
Thats why I am looking for "affordable" REALLY LOUD train horns.
Thanks for the comments and info., keep them coming.
HL

Old 05-21-2010, 12:21 PM
Huck BB62
Senior User
I always thought....

I always thought two things:

1. An amplified sounds of tires screeching on pavement would work. It does for me! Anytime I hear that, I'm reacting!

2. A powerful cell phone signal jammer when a vehicle in a coded response directionalized ahead of the vehicle. Bvvfftt... done. Instant response from the electronically challenged phone drunks.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:39 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Wide band or dual band jamming could be the ticket. knock out cell phones, fm radio reception. Now if you could just send out EMI to fuss up the pre-amp signal you'd be set. Lower freq are harder to dissipate, so more of the sound makes it through the car. But then you're competing with the subwoofers, a couple thousand watts in a confined space is hard to top even with train horns. You'll need a couple of notes (freqs) to get a range that will attract attention.

I think this is probably the problem you're having with the electronic horn. It's producing notes in the cheaper speaker range. So you're having to compete with car's audio and the insulation. You may want to look at very high frequency ear splitters or ultra low shaker type noises, or both for the double wammy.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:15 PM
dyoungen
Posting Guru
Where can you get the call phone jammers?

Old 05-31-2010, 05:03 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,101 Likes on 2,163 Posts
rite now?? only in sci-fi comic books.

for good train horns, nothing beats nathans. but they are expensive, in the 6-9 hundred dollar range.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:15 AM
rotun
Reads ***** rules!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nathan Airchime K5LA can be found around $600, just mounted mine and they are extremely loud!

Keep searching ebay or craigslist, I found mine for $630 on ebay, maybe you can let them know it's for an emergency vehicle and get a discount? Curt makes seperate mounts so you don't have to use the manifold, it's huge! I bought the seperate mounting kit but ended up not using it.

If Nathans are too much $, you can get the shockers from http://www.hornblasters.com/products...-and-air-horns for the $ you're looking at spending, not as loud or deep as K5LA's but they will move people. The key here is to find a set that runs off minimum 1/2" valve, stay away from the smaller, you'll end up wanting the bigger ones.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:23 AM
rotun
Reads ***** rules!

I know it's a Chevy but this is for the shockers!

******** width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v3gdLnO9UpI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v3gdLnO9UpI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed>*********>

Old 05-31-2010, 11:29 AM
rotun
Reads ***** rules!

Here's another..................
******** width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jel6cOHYHDI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jel6cOHYHDI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed>*********>

Old 05-31-2010, 05:05 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
I've seen jammers. Basically they are just broadcasting noise in the band the cell phone uses, at a power the cell phone can't overcome. Cell Phone Jammer :: Phonejammer.com :: Buy Here ! Here's one idea.

I think the FCC limit is 4watts. With enough power, I would imagine they would talk over the radio like the cheap old linear amps used on CB's would.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:06 PM
FordNFishinLover
Posting Guru
Rotun, is that your truck with the shockers on it? What did it fully cost to put in your shockers horn? This one looks perfect for my friend as hes wanting to put one in a truck hes getting.

Is it just the shockers XL train horn on the page you put up? Thanks alot.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:07 PM
rotun
Reads ***** rules!

No, videos are not of my truck. I do not have shockers but do have the real train horns. As for cost, well it's been a few years of saving and just buying piece by piece, go with a shockers kit if all you want is to be heard. Here's a copy of a post with pics of what I have.....

Compressor....

Xmember for comp mount......

5 gal. tank / filter/reg........

Quick connect on front for filling up or air tools, etc......also have one at the rear bumper.............

3rd battery, deep cell utility.........

Battery isolator....only connects when voltage is above 12.?volts so the oem system doesn't get drained........

My nutzz!..............

Nathan K5LA Train Horns................

Quick Reply: Train Horns. LOUD horns.