General Automotive Discussion

Vanity Plates?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 07:08 PM
Amazon512
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vanity Plates?

Hi y'all, I bought a f250 a few months ago, and I'm still in the newly-wed phase of our relationship. It's a 2004, 4x4, 5.6L daily driver. (I know the engine is not as fast or impressive as most of yours, but I don't haul anything and it's perfect for me, so take no shots please. I needed a truck because I live in the country, and my boyfriend is a giant of a man who doesn't fit in cars properly, but I frequently only go 2-3 miles per trip. Can you tell I've gotten a lot of crap from my friends for not getting the PSD or v10? Yes indeed, and I'm a bit sensitive about it, thanks.)

ANYWAY, hehe.. I bought a vanity plate.

I'd like to know, in a general way, what is the consensus on vanity plates on a truck? It's a cute truck, I think, sporting big tires and mirrors, but not modded to heck and back either. Does it matter what the plate says? Who is driving it?

Honestly, the plate is kind of my way of saying "this is MY truck". I'm not girlie enough to put anything pink on my truck (ugh!), and I get looks from other drivers -- and yes, I am talking to you, truck dudes -- that seem to scream "I can't believe He lets you drive that truck!" (Well they sell them to women, too, sheesh. I bought it myself.) So, after a few months of perceiving this, I'm trying to do something not-cutesy (or pink) that personalizes my truck. I don't care to promote my alma matters' football teams, either, and I generally don't like bumper stickers on my vehicles, so that's out. Vanity plates seemed like a good idea at the time, but now that they're ready I'm having second thoughts. I'm nervous about it, even. Does it make me more likely to get pulled over? Is it an irrecoverably cheesy thing to do to one's truck? I don't know.

May I please hear from the community, your thoughts on vanity plates? And on girls driving big trucks, if you please. (They feel safer. If I ever have kids, a big truck is the first vehicle my daughter will drive, no doubt.)

If anyone already has vanity plates, I'd really like to know what your thoughts are in hindsight. And, in the spirit of full disclosure, here's a pic of what I ordered: http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/...tos/AM4ZON.jpg

Old 05-18-2010, 07:21 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the wife has always has vanity plates . my 53 has plates that read 8 flaty , the bird i didn't bother as i figured it was just a temporary beater ,uhuh that's why it's developed a wish list ............. and the 52 i haven't given any thought too yet .. i once had a plate that said , and i kid you not , till the sec 'o' state boys came and took it and i had to go get another , SMRT ARS. it was on a pinto i had for a beater that had a " personalized " make moniker .... i had a 66 buick special i was customizing and dechromed ... i took the uck from buick and the f from ford ............ that darn car got me all sorts of unwanted attention ..............

Old 05-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Amazon512
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 55 f350
the wife has always has vanity plates . my 53 has plates that read 8 flaty , the bird i didn't bother as i figured it was just a temporary beater ............. and the 52 i haven't given any thought too yet .. i once had a plate that said , and i kid you not , till the sec 'o' stae boys came and took it and i had to go get another , SMRT ARS.

hahahaha.. that's a crying shame, about the SMRT ARS plate. That's good stuff. It comforts me that the wife has always had vanity plates, as maybe it's kind of a chic thing? (I'm a girl, so I'm good with that, lol.)

There was a brouhaha about a year ago in Texas because the vanity plate example featured on the actual state website read: OMG WTF. It was quite funny. Otherwise, I don't like having my sense of humor moderated by the state, especially if the words are not "illegal" speech. (We've come a long way from the 1st amendment, no? Some words are "illegal". But I digress.)

Thanks for the testimonial. I sincerely appreciate it.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:36 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
it's fun to have something on 'em to make folks use their minds for something other than a hat rack .... i've been playing with the idea of putting brgs n strtn on the 52 customline as it , like my effie are flathead powered and 'i'm always saying to folks to describe a flatty to the uninformed , that it's a high performance briggs and stratton 8 cylinder mower engine ............

Old 05-18-2010, 08:20 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

i've been playing with the idea of putting brgs n strtn on the 52 customline
They allow 10 characters up there in IL? Wow, all we get is 7. They allow 8 in NC, but 10? Anyway, I like vanity plates. Here in VA they only cost $10 extra per year, which means most people have them, which means it's hard to find something original. I had 'LV GGGGS' on my truck for a time (Live For Jesus). My wife had vanity plates on the Hummer for years, and when we traded it in on the Edge we told them just to put the plates on the new ride, so until the DMV gets the registration done on the Edge, it has 'SHERS H3' on it.... I'm trying to think of a good one for the new truck.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:33 PM
first today
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw a woman with a bright yellow toyota turbo charged celica. Her plate said "103-M". I called a traffic cop friend and asked if he had seen her. He said all of the cops have seen her but they have never stopped her. Her plate is police code for a crazy person. They all figure she is a cop or married to one. I told him to give me some cool codes to help me out. The codes he gave me would have had me stopped every 10 feet. Stuff like "peeping tom", "Drunk in public", and "prostitution".
Great friend to look out for me.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:22 AM
93 mix 'n match
Posting Guru
sweet! a chick rockin a ford! theres a girl around here thats this little 20-somethin blonde skinny girl that drives a purple f350 PSD with a HUGE lift and HUGE tires and its covered in pink pinstripes. shes got a vanity plate that says 'no, this isnt my boyfriends truck'

vanity plates for girls=nice. for guys= hershey highway patrol officer...

Old 05-19-2010, 04:30 AM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
My Harley and my truck both have antique tags on them. In Arkansas there's no mileage limitation on the antique tags and you don't ever have to renew them. My wife's Jeep has regular tags but her Harley plate says OLSKOL for "Old School".

Old 05-19-2010, 08:12 AM
fepowerguy8
Posting Guru
I put collector plates on everything as I never have to renew them put for a custom plate on my daily driver I use my collector number. That way I don't forget what my plate number is I had a 89 Ramcharger I had "rolmeovr" on other than that most have been my collector number.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:50 AM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a vanity plate on my Fury, but not on my truck... Too many other things on the truck to spend money on lol...

Can't drive the Fury due to a bad camshaft, but I keep the plate on there anyway just so someone else can't register it...

Old 05-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Amazon512
Freshman User
Originally Posted by first today
I saw a woman with a bright yellow toyota turbo charged celica. Her plate said "103-M". I called a traffic cop friend and asked if he had seen her. He said all of the cops have seen her but they have never stopped her. Her plate is police code for a crazy person. They all figure she is a cop or married to one. I told him to give me some cool codes to help me out. The codes he gave me would have had me stopped every 10 feet. Stuff like "peeping tom", "Drunk in public", and "prostitution".
Great friend to look out for me.

Wow, some friend, lol. With friends like that... sheesh. hehe.
That 103-M plate is seriously awesome though. If I'd know, I'd have gone with that instead. Truth in advertising.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:24 PM
Big Ruth
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Funny this thread is here. I was out with an old friend the other night. Here is his new plate.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Amazon512
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 93 mix 'n match
sweet! a chick rockin a ford! theres a girl around here thats this little 20-somethin blonde skinny girl that drives a purple f350 PSD with a HUGE lift and HUGE tires and its covered in pink pinstripes. shes got a vanity plate that says 'no, this isnt my boyfriends truck'

vanity plates for girls=nice. for guys= hershey highway patrol officer...

hehe, I've seen this kind of thing, and it makes me want a lift.
I <3 her vanity plate, that is awesome.. glad to know I'm not the only truck-driving girl to perceive people pondering the truck's ownership. It's a real thing, and it makes me cranky.

My problem is that I think my truck is a guy (named "Lucky") and I can't stand to put anything pink on him. I was entertaining pink shock caps and a friend informed me that would lead to my premature demise. Because he'd kill me.

I am feeling a lot better about the vanity plate. Y'all are awesome folks, I really appreciate your thoughts.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:03 PM
Amazon512
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Big Ruth
Funny this thread is here. I was out with an old friend the other night. Here is his new plate.

Made of Win.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Here's my van:

And here's it's plate:

Quick Reply: Vanity Plates?