Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have the DiamondBack cover?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 04:52 PM
cford716
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have the DiamondBack cover?

I am considering the DiamondBack Diamond SE with the Line-X coating. Anyone have any info you can give me.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:53 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I ordered mine two weeks ago and should get the week after Memorial Day. The SE with the Line-X coating. I'll post a report in a few weeks.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:36 AM
cford716
Elder User
Originally Posted by onug
I ordered mine two weeks ago and should get the week after Memorial Day. The SE with the Line-X coating. I'll post a report in a few weeks.
Did you get your cover? If so, how do you like it and how was the installation?

Old 01-03-2011, 10:21 AM
onug
Postmaster
How about a very late reply? Sorry about that...

I've had the cover now for about 6 months and it is working great. Installing it is very easy, especially after the first time. It has been very solid and works great in securing my gear.

Some observations:
- A few parts associated with the locking mechanisms hang down below the top of the bed rails. Overall there is about 18" of clearance between the lower portions of the locking mechanism parts. I can still put my flush-height truck box in the bed, but it fits between two brackets from the cover.
- The system locks very well, but does rattle a bit while driving. The good news is I can't hear it unless I have the back window open.
- I get some leaks around the center section while driving that drip down onto the wheel well. There isn't enough weather stripping where the water runs off, so some is blown back into the bed. I picked up some additional weather stripping at the auto store which should do the trick.
- It has been in the mid-twenties the past week and the locking mechanisms still work great (they don't freeze). However, there was water between the cap and bed rails, so I had to use a pry-bar to open it once. Thankfully the unit is solid, so it popped right open.
- The SE model comes with four cleats for securing loads to the top. Unfortunately, they are the front and rear of the unit. I found the cleats online and have ordered two more to put in the middle section. That will allow me to secure gear at the front and still have the ability to open the rear lid.
- Installing the unit can be done with one person. The covers are more awkward than heavy. I can install or remove the cover in less than 30 minutes.
- The C-clamps for holding the unit on the bed require 20lbs of torque. I busted the bolt of one clamp the third time I installed it, so do yourself a favor and get a torque wrench. The good news is Diamondback sells the clamps for about $5, so I got a whole set of new clams (4) for less than $30 (including shipping). Got to love a company that doesn't scam you on spare parts.
- If I was to do it all over again, I'd probably get the HD unit. The SE unit is fine for what I'm using it for, but I'd like the extra capacity.
- The Line-X cover is worth the cost. I'm glad I don't have to worry about scratches or dents when I drop stuff on top of it. Even with the diamond plate surface, scratches and dents would annoy me. The Line-X makes the surface resistant to damage and helps "hide" it as well.

I'll try to post some pics of it in my garage soon.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:55 PM
HowarD1
Junior User
Thanks for the info on the C-clamps. I have mine torqued pretty tight.
I attached bicycle mounts as well as the cleats on the sides.
I also opted for the headache rack and the ladder rack. It is definitely some of the best money I have spent.

My only complaint is that the hinges have "sprung" (bent away from their mounting holes). I e-mailed them and they claim to have updated their design to make them sturdier. However since I am outside of their warranty ( 3 year? ) it will cost me some $ to fix it.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:16 PM
D-mon
Senior User
Not sure what kind of topper/cover i will be installing on my 2012-f-150 when it comes in but would like to ASAP so everything in the bed is covered.
I kinda like the looks of ARE Toppers but the wife doesnt so not sure if she will let me get it.
I do like the looks and idea of the diamondback cover in the line-x.
Just as long as it keeps the stuff in the bed dry like luggage or what not

Old 11-15-2011, 10:00 PM
onug
Postmaster
I'll add a quick update now that I've had mine for well over a year now. The system continues to hold up well. I've tried adding weather stripping along the seams and finally realized a majority of the water is leaking in from the lame Ford covers over the post holes (or whatever they're called) in the bed rails. I'll need to seal them up next time I have the cover off and then I should be nice and dry in the bed.

Still wish I had the HD unit, but I'm very happy with my Diamondback cover.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:18 PM
D-mon
Senior User
Just emailed a dealer or seller of the diamond back covers in my area. He wants $2399 for a HD Line-Xed. Is that a reasonable price or what??

Also he said the covers leak like crazy!!! so anything in the bed could get wet.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:47 PM
onug
Postmaster
That seems a bit high for me, but maybe they've changed their prices. There are a few places online that sell them at good prices. They were about the same as my local dealer, so I bought local instead.

I wouldn't say it leaks like crazy. It just leaks over both wheel wells. It stays nice and dry everywhere else, including the front corners.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:21 PM
D-mon
Senior User
Diamondback covers the main headquarters emailed me back and said they sell the HD cover with LInex for a f150 5.5 bed for $1649 and $120 shipped not sure if he knows i live in MN but oh well!!
Thats ALOT BETTER than the other company!

Old 11-21-2011, 11:20 PM
D-mon
Senior User
Line-X for 5.5 bed around $430 plus tax
ARE Z series topper for around $2000??
good deal?

Old 11-22-2011, 07:57 AM
BMWBig6
Senior User
This thread is useless without pics!

Old 12-08-2011, 11:07 PM
D-mon
Senior User
yes pictures would be nice

Also any updates?

Old 01-01-2012, 09:08 PM
cford716
Elder User
Go to my albums there are pics there.

Great Cover, had mine over 1 year. Same comments as other poster. I will have to look into the post holes as the place that is letting in the little water I get. Thanks on the torque specs too. They are the same c-clamps that were on my last trucks cap so you can probably get them at any retailer that installs caps.

Do not get the cover from a local retailer, they are far cheaper buying directly from Diamondback even after the freight charge. And the installation is easy, a local retailer will over price that too and it is not needed. (2 people makes it much easier, but can be done with 1)

I also have the Line-x and it is holding up great.

Also contact one of us that has one and we can give you a referral number that will get you $50 off. (not much but something)

Old 01-01-2012, 09:45 PM
D-mon
Senior User
I agree when i emailed a local dealer that sells them for $700-$800 MORE than buying directly from Diamond back!!

Hows it for dust?? Does it keep it out good??
Also Cford716 what model did you get?

Quick Reply: Anyone have the DiamondBack cover?