Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'92 Flareside mods

Old 05-06-2010, 02:17 PM
robprime
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'92 Flareside mods

Hey guys,

Haven't been on for a while. Been busy at work and also doing some mods that didn't need a whole lot of info exchange.

On my '92 Flareside I added front and rear sway bars, rescued from the junkyard. Swapped out the front spring seats from a '92 F250 that had originally had a sway bar, though it had been wrecked in the front and the bar was bent badly, (perfect center shot on a tree or power pole.) The seats were fine and work nicely on my truck, which did not come with a factory bar. I got a 1" one off a '93 Bronco that was in good shape, though I had to weld some angle iron mounting brackets to the inside of the frame rails for the bushings, right onto the original brackets but turned to the inside. The factory brackets were turned to the outside and the Bronco sway bar is a little shorter between the 90* bends than a regular F series bar. I couldn't find a good one of those at my local yard. But it has worked out nicely, made a big difference in handling. And while I had all that apart I added a set of Air-Lift 1000 airbags to the coil springs and new shocks. And all new Energy Suspension bushings.

The rear bar from the F250 was save-able, though a stout 1 1/8", and fit right on. All I needed there were some smaller 3 1/4" u-bolts, as the F250 had had a monster rear end and the bar had been mounted to the pumpkin unit with 5" u-bolts instead of to the axle tubes. But this worked out good also, as the bar bends allowed me to mount the smaller u-bolts around the axle tubes right next to the center unit of my smaller 8.8". All new bushings here also, and a set of Air-lift 5000 air bags w/pump. A set of Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks were a bit of a mistake as I had failed to notice that they were for vehicles with a 2" to 4" lift and now I only have about 4" of travel there. At 100 bucks each, an expensive oversight. I haven't had any bottoming yet but haven't hauled any heavy loads. I also added a frame mounted Reese hitch so I can pull my 7500 lb travel trailer. I'll have to see how that works out. Still have to add an electric brake actuator to my pedal and the extra lighting wiring before I can pull that thing.

It gets around corners pretty good now, though the ride is a bit stiff. I've found that if I keep the 32 gal rear fuel tank (from the '93 Bronco) full it helps quite a bit. Along with minimal pressure in the air bags.

Tires are next. I hate the Wild Country 31's that were on the truck when I bought it. They're noisy and steer poorly. This is a 2 wheel drive road truck and those are totally unsuitable. They have zero wear, tho, and maybe I can trade them off. I want some street 31's on the front (32's if they'll fit) and some all terrain 32's on the rear (33's if they will fit), as I like my back tires to be just a little fatter that the front ones. And the bigger I can go on the rear, the better my gears run out on the highway.

And I've been redoing the bad places of the paint job. Mostly the horizontal surfaces like the hood, roof and the tops of the rear fenders. Found a good Duplicolor paint match and it's coming out ok. I don't require a showroom finish, just all the same approx shade of red and sorta shiny. I do feel it needs an old school flame job in silver along the sides. Have been working on drawing out my own pattern. Made a little test photo using Paint to see how it would look. The colors are off a bit but you get the idea. Yea or nay?

Old 05-06-2010, 02:32 PM
robprime
Senior User

Also rescued a roll bar from the junkyard, but it was from a full size bed and I have to do some modifying before it will fit.

Rob

Old 05-07-2010, 08:45 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,400 Likes on 997 Posts
Guys, I came accross your postings...I am looking at a 92 with the 4.9 six shooter and 5sp manual on the floor.

2wd version. What if anything I should be looking out for? Better half has looked at it so of course I don't have any real info.

did they switch to fuel injection with this year or throttle body injection? Electronic ignition?

What do you think for aver mpgs?

Thanks!
Scott

Old 05-07-2010, 08:52 AM
94MustangGT
Elder User
Sounds good man. I'm not a fan of flames though, but that's just me.

Nice trucks. The Ranger is sick.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:07 PM
robprime
Senior User
My grandchildren would love it.

senix,
I'd take a good look at that 5-speed. If it's the Mazda one, you need to check it's fluid level and see if it's been maintained. They are famous for losing their fluid due to the shrinkage of 3 rubber plugs that were used to seal openings in the tranny case. This actually happened to my bro. He never changed or checked the fluid, he simply looked at the exterior for leaks. Seeing none, he thought he was ok. The thing locked in 5th on him and was ruined.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:14 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by robprime
My grandchildren would love it.

senix,
I'd take a good look at that 5-speed. If it's the Mazda one, you need to check it's fluid level and see if it's been maintained. They are famous for losing their fluid due to the shrinkage of 3 rubber plugs that were used to seal openings in the tranny case. This actually happened to my bro. He never changed or checked the fluid, he simply looked at the exterior for leaks. Seeing none, he thought he was ok. The thing locked in 5th on him and was ruined.
Great advice, thanks, how can I identify it.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:29 PM
robprime
Senior User
Shape of the pan is one way. I know I've seen that on the net somewhere. His truck is over at my Dad's still not fixed. I'll look the next time I'm over. I don't remember if it's on the case somewhere.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:47 PM
senix
Super Moderator
well thanks for the tip, you can be sure I will be crawling all over that thing.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:28 PM
93_flareside
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also rescued a roll bar from the junkyard, but it was from a full size bed and I have to do some modifying before it will fit.

Rob
Nice!
Like the color!

Old 05-07-2010, 03:50 PM
robprime
Senior User
Shape of the pan- oops- got autos on my brain. Sorry

Old 05-08-2010, 07:38 PM
cadillacmob
Elder User
Hey guys,

Haven't been on for a while. Been busy at work and also doing some mods that didn't need a whole lot of info exchange.

On my '92 Flareside I added front and rear sway bars, rescued from the junkyard. Swapped out the front spring seats from a '92 F250 that had originally had a sway bar, though it had been wrecked in the front and the bar was bent badly, (perfect center shot on a tree or power pole.) The seats were fine and work nicely on my truck, which did not come with a factory bar. I got a 1" one off a '93 Bronco that was in good shape, though I had to weld some angle iron mounting brackets to the inside of the frame rails for the bushings, right onto the original brackets but turned to the inside. The factory brackets were turned to the outside and the Bronco sway bar is a little shorter between the 90* bends than a regular F series bar. I couldn't find a good one of those at my local yard. But it has worked out nicely, made a big difference in handling. And while I had all that apart I added a set of Air-Lift 1000 airbags to the coil springs and new shocks. And all new Energy Suspension bushings.

The rear bar from the F250 was save-able, though a stout 1 1/8", and fit right on. All I needed there were some smaller 3 1/4" u-bolts, as the F250 had had a monster rear end and the bar had been mounted to the pumpkin unit with 5" u-bolts instead of to the axle tubes. But this worked out good also, as the bar bends allowed me to mount the smaller u-bolts around the axle tubes right next to the center unit of my smaller 8.8". All new bushings here also, and a set of Air-lift 5000 air bags w/pump. A set of Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks were a bit of a mistake as I had failed to notice that they were for vehicles with a 2" to 4" lift and now I only have about 4" of travel there. At 100 bucks each, an expensive oversight. I haven't had any bottoming yet but haven't hauled any heavy loads. I also added a frame mounted Reese hitch so I can pull my 7500 lb travel trailer. I'll have to see how that works out. Still have to add an electric brake actuator to my pedal and the extra lighting wiring before I can pull that thing.

It gets around corners pretty good now, though the ride is a bit stiff. I've found that if I keep the 32 gal rear fuel tank (from the '93 Bronco) full it helps quite a bit. Along with minimal pressure in the air bags.

Tires are next. I hate the Wild Country 31's that were on the truck when I bought it. They're noisy and steer poorly. This is a 2 wheel drive road truck and those are totally unsuitable. They have zero wear, tho, and maybe I can trade them off. I want some street 31's on the front (32's if they'll fit) and some all terrain 32's on the rear (33's if they will fit), as I like my back tires to be just a little fatter that the front ones. And the bigger I can go on the rear, the better my gears run out on the highway.

And I've been redoing the bad places of the paint job. Mostly the horizontal surfaces like the hood, roof and the tops of the rear fenders. Found a good Duplicolor paint match and it's coming out ok. I don't require a showroom finish, just all the same approx shade of red and sorta shiny. I do feel it needs an old school flame job in silver along the sides. Have been working on drawing out my own pattern. Made a little test photo using Paint to see how it would look. The colors are off a bit but you get the idea. Yea or nay?

Did i read that right bronco gas tank on your truck?? i didnt know we could do that, my truck so annoying i only have single tank truck.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:52 PM
saxon802
New User
Rob,

I was at the local pic n pull this weekend and came across a complete rear sway bar on an F250. I wasn't able to get it at the time but will go back. I have a 92 F150 flareside and am concerned if the rear sway bar from the F250 will easily bolt on. The U-bolts for the sway bar fit between two "ears" on the axle of the F250. I found another one on a Bronco from the same generation as my truck but like the idea of having the heavier F250 bar. What are your thoughts and/or experiences getting this to work? Thanks.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:10 AM
robprime
Senior User
Originally Posted by cadillacmob
Did i read that right bronco gas tank on your truck?? i didnt know we could do that, my truck so annoying i only have single tank truck.
Sure. It fit right in, more or less. The distance between the frame rails is the same. And the height of the upper part of the tank above the flange is nearly the same so it doesn't stick up above the frame rails too bad and foul on the bed. It really hangs down farther below the tank flange quite a bit, tho. If it's an off road truck it may not be suitable for you. I even got the skid plate to work. I had had the bed off and that made things much easier. It would be a lot harder to do with the bed on. I did have to fab a crossmember to support the back part of the tank but it was pretty easy. I also added a 1 1/4" spacer bar on both front and back to lower the tank for clearance with the bed.

It's been working out ok for me, increased the range to a bit over 400 miles.

I'm going to work on it some today, I'll take a few pics and post them.

Rob

Last edited by robprime; 05-18-2010 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 05-18-2010, 08:56 AM
robprime
Senior User
Originally Posted by saxon802
Rob,

I was at the local pic n pull this weekend and came across a complete rear sway bar on an F250. I wasn't able to get it at the time but will go back. I have a 92 F150 flareside and am concerned if the rear sway bar from the F250 will easily bolt on. The U-bolts for the sway bar fit between two "ears" on the axle of the F250. I found another one on a Bronco from the same generation as my truck but like the idea of having the heavier F250 bar. What are your thoughts and/or experiences getting this to work? Thanks.
It worked out fine. the distances between the frame rails are the same for the F150's and the F250's and the Bronco's. So the width of the bar and how the uprights mount work fine. All I had to do was buy some u-bolts that fit around the 3 1/4" dia axle tubes and had about 6" legs. You also have to drill new holes in the brackets so that the legs of the smaller diameter u-bolts will fit. And I took the brackets to my local machine shop and had them deepen the round notches that fit around the axle tubes, so that it would seat better around the smaller axle tubes.

I'll take a couple pics of that also. It certainly has firmed up the handling but the ride is seriously stiff. I paid $20 for the complete bar set, 20 for new poly bushings, and 20 to have the notches deepened. So about $60 total for a servicable factory Ford rear bar. Can't beat that.

Rob

Old 05-18-2010, 04:56 PM
robprime
Senior User

This is how far down it hangs, doesn't go below the rear end. Has about 13" of ground clearance to bottom of skid plate.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '92 Flareside mods