Aerostar Ford Aerostar

EGR line replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 09:43 AM
Chezzer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR line replacement

Hi, I hope you guys can help me. I don't really know much about cars/vans. I have a 97 XLT Aerostar. Originally it was a 3.0 2WD but I had the engine replaced because the head gaskets blew and it was replaced with a 4.0. Now its at a new mechanic and he says the EGR line from the EGR to the Exhaust Manifold has a hole in it and the part is discontinued. A local ford dealer gave me the part number of it which is f69z9e469aa and returns no results in Google and I can't find the part anywhere. Does anyone know what I can do, are there any other EGR lines from a different model or van/truck that would fit? Thanks for reading this and for any help you can provide!

Old 04-22-2010, 10:04 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unfortunately I think you have two options at this point. You can have the pipe rebuilt by someone who can do that kind of work. That is the recommended approach.

The alternative is to disable the EGR system. This is not a good approach for several reasons. Firstly it is illegal, and could cause problems with inspection. Secondly, you then have to figure out how to keep the CEL off. Thirdly, the computers tuning strategy takes the EGR into account, and engine damage could potentially result if the computer is not reflashed to make up the difference. Fourthly, the reflash would either reduce performance, or require you to use a higher octane. Fifthly, the fact that I can come up with more than three reasons not to do this tells you that this is a bad idea and should not be attempted unless you have a lot of money and a lot of time. This is a costly approach.

Maybe you can try contacting these guys to see if they can't build a new one for you. They would obviously need the old one first. I will see what resources I can tap into. http://www.4customexhaust.com/fab_services.htm

Old 04-22-2010, 11:10 AM
taurus8
Senior User
Are you close to the border? Canada has seemed to keep Aerostar parts where America hasn't...just a thought.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:01 PM
Chezzer
New User
Thanks Khan. The guy working on the car put something over it and clamped it so it should be fine, in the future I will need to have one made probably but it's ok for now. Taurus I'm maybe 5 hours away but do you know of a good place to order parts from Canada? Or maybe I can check with Canadian Ford dealers..I haven't thought of that thanks!

Old 04-23-2010, 11:49 PM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
used junke yard dog emporium, i frequent them quite often to keep my jewels running
try your local dog yards first so you can compare, earier years might fit.
also try Ranger/Explorer 4L engines.

national site to search
Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

Old 04-24-2010, 07:06 PM
Aeroman59
Elder User
Post EGR Tube.

Originally Posted by Chezzer
Thanks Khan. The guy working on the car put something over it and clamped it so it should be fine, in the future I will need to have one made probably but it's ok for now. Taurus I'm maybe 5 hours away but do you know of a good place to order parts from Canada? Or maybe I can check with Canadian Ford dealers..I haven't thought of that thanks!
If this is the EGR tube, it is obselete & no pattern parts appear to be available. Try to get the original repaired or patched if possible. It can likely be welded if cracked or has a hole (use stainless to repair) as long as the tube is still the right shape. Not a good idea to delete the EGR since the computer would have to be reflashed to take account of the new operating conditions & also emissions would be adversely affected.

Take care, Aeroman

Old 04-25-2010, 10:35 PM
DanielC
Senior User
I would go to a junk yard. There is a lot of Aerostars in them now. I was looking for a rear bumper part, and found one even in the right color.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:12 PM
asavage
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
The Ranger/Explorer EGR tube for the 4.0l look different than the Aero version to me; the Ranger/Explorer ones I have seen in the JY attach to the rear of the exhaust manifold; my '97's attaches to the front of the manifold.

I don't know how any of you detach the EGR tube; I couldn't swing a wrench in there. I finally took a 1" crowsfoot that I had already and filed it larger (1-1/16"? 1-1/8"?) and then used 2' of extensions to a breaker bar. Nobody had 1-1/16" or 1-1/8" crowsfoot in my area, and I didn't want to wait to order one, so I sacrificed the 1" one I had laying around.

(click on any image for larger)