Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Fuel Filter replacement 92 F250

Old 04-16-2010, 09:02 PM
damons
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Filter replacement 92 F250

Hi all, is there a special trick to replace fuel filter, I have practically broken my oil filter wrench trying to get this this off. Please confirm you take off counter clockwise, also, if there are any other tricks, I have burned myself out trying to get this off.
Thanks all!

Old 04-16-2010, 09:49 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
they can be stubborn.
they turn on/off just like an oil filter.righty tighty,leftly loosey.standard right hand threads.
it does hang upside down,so if your standing on the passenger side,in front of the fender,so that the pass side battery is to your right,you will hook onto it with your oil filter wrench starting close to the battery,and turning it so the wrench comes towards you,and then in the direction of the passengers seat.
kinda tilt your head up looking at it,and with your minds eye,picture it turning off left if this works better lol.
i suspect your turning it backwards (tightening it) due to it being upside down,it has you tricked.

if turning it off correctly,then use the old standard screw driver trick (if your replacing it.) by hammering the screw driver through the beast and make a good old fashioned mess in the proses lol(drive it out through the other side too,and use it as a handle to spin it).then she'll turn out.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:52 PM
greywynd
Posting Guru
Counter clockwise, looking up from bottom of course. Sounds like it's been on there a while! You could try a hammer and chisel, sometimes a jarring will break things free when straight pressure won't.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:58 PM
johnboggs21
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried the screwdriver trick on an oil filter on a big truck once. I rammed it through and started turning, and the filter ripped right in half. Ended up getting the stub off finally with a big pair of channel locks.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:09 PM
damons
Elder User
Thanks guys, I will try in the morning this old body rests. Now that you say it that way, I think I am tightening it. I was looking at it from top and turning it to left (counter clockwise) I was wondering why it moved initially then I could not move anymore.
There is not a lot of room, I did get the wrench on pretty good after taking off the air cleaner assembly.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:19 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Whoops, Wrong way Corrigan!

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 04-16-2010, 11:21 PM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep, sounds like you turned it the wrong way. After you loosen it, open the water drain and it will let enough fuel out that you wont make a mess on the motor when you remove the filter.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:30 PM
damons
Elder User
Thanks. I also have a 99 Diesel, I know with that one, I can put back together, turn the key on and it will fill the bowl. Does this truck do this or do I need to refill it manually before putting on filter?

Old 04-16-2010, 11:42 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
nope.the IDI is old school with a mechanical fuel lift pump on the engine.
some of use opt to ditch that and block it off,and install a electric down by the tank,for this reason among many.

you will want to fill it with fuel or fuel treatment like diesel kleen for example before installing,so you don't stress the starter so much.
you may even find the need to crack open an injector line or two,or three lol,and crank the engine till you make a mess,then tighten them back up and resume cranking......she will take off again.many have their battery chargers ready if the batteries are not in prime condition.hopefully yours starts right up and takes off with just letting the air out at the schrader valve...it's handy to have a person crank while you hold it in.
as for mine,like your '99 i converted to an e-pump.just turn the key forward and the filter fills in a few secs,and i start her with a touch of the key for sec.no mess.no hassles.no excessive strain on my starter.some say this mod is unnecessary.while i agree with them,im also enjoying the electric pump very much.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:42 PM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Fill it manually, it will start back up much quicker.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:57 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Personally I don't believe it pouring unfiltered products into filters...

Some fill fuel filters with things like Diesel Kleen, it's thin enough to pour into the outside ring of holes in the filter thus it gets filtered before it gets to the center of the filter.

You should just need to bleed it at the Schrader valve, it should fill the filter within the 20 second starter limit, if it doesn't you have another issue.

It should start within the next 20 second starter limit.

Some crack injector lines, with the advent of the return system and a properly working IP, it's not needed... Though it might take a few seconds off the final crank time.

-Enjoy

Old 04-17-2010, 12:02 AM
damons
Elder User
FORDF250, I am intriged by this "letting the air out at the schrader valve..", what and where is this? Is this the valve on side that looks like a tires air stem? What do you do and what is it's purpose?

Old 04-17-2010, 12:08 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
The Schrader valve is on the filter head, Yes it looks like a tire stem, it's to bleed the air out of the fuel system up to and including the filter.

If you don't have some one to turn the key for you, you can take the schrader valve out or attach a clipon air chuck or jump the starter solenoid, please set emergency brake and chock the truck and ensure it's out of gear... we want no members running themselves over ...

-Enjoy

Old 04-17-2010, 12:16 AM
damons
Elder User
When is it bleed?

Old 04-17-2010, 12:21 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
When there is a stream of fuel instead of air.

It may still have bubbles in the fuel stream, but it will be mostly fuel.

-Enjoy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Filter replacement 92 F250