1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Fuel pump replacement-am I in over my head?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 04:01 PM
geocraig77
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pump replacement-am I in over my head?

2001 F150 Supercab 4x4 5.4 engine
It must have been the bragging about only replacing 2 COPs, ball joints, battery (battery lasted 140K) and the other routine stuff after 176K miles that landed me where I am but signs are pointing to fuel pump after I try the easy stuff (fuel filter, check the pressure, listen for the prime, etc.) All things I have learned from reading on here. The dealership quoted a cost of $730 for the fuel pump replacement, NAPA sells it for $170 for the pump and $250-$340 for the whole unit. Background: driving home last night and she stopped accelerating and died as I moseyed onto the shoulder. Put some gas in, cranked relentlessly but didn't start. Checked the pressure valve and fuel shot out so I thought a firing issue but spraying starter fluid in the intake got it to run at home so it's a fuel delivery issue. My plan would be to drop the tank. So.......1) if everything looks OK should I just replace the pump itself and not the assembly and 2) is this something I can do alone over a weekend? Any thoughts or known write ups would be a great help. I searched but did not find anything. I always appreciate the help.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:24 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Chiltons manual has a great instruction write up on this process.
I can do a replacement in about 3-4 hours by myself( I usually give everything a good cleaning too).
You may need a helping hand to lower the tank while you remove the filler hose and release the tank connections.

I think removing the rear shocks on these trucks is harder to do.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:53 PM
geocraig77
Freshman User
I was curious what manual to buy and had been leaning toward the Haynes so thanks for the input.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:20 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Chiltons 1997-2003 Ford F150, etc. Book number 26666 is the one I have.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:56 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
you have fuel pressure, the truck wont start, so you want to replace the fuel pump?? Did i miss something? ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, how about a gauge on the fuel rail?, does it hold psi?, what is the running pressure??

Old 04-14-2010, 06:06 PM
geocraig77
Freshman User
In the original post I planned to check out the pressure and filter before jumping the gun, but if there are other items to check for I'm all ears.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:36 PM
96f150
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you trip the fuel shutoff? I believe its behind the pass kick panel...Someone elase can chime in
Rich

Old 04-14-2010, 08:23 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

BTW, are there any trouble codes?
Sometimes faulty sensors also produce conditions like you mentioned in the first post.
Also, when replacing any electical parts sensors, etc.
It is a good practice to remove the negative battery cable to shut off the computer.
This will cause the computer to relearn installed parts.
This is just another thought for you.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:10 PM
geocraig77
Freshman User
No trouble codes.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:19 PM
moto57
Junior User
Originally Posted by geocraig77
2001 F150 Supercab 4x4 5.4 engine
It must have been the bragging about only replacing 2 COPs, ball joints, battery (battery lasted 140K) and the other routine stuff after 176K miles that landed me where I am but signs are pointing to fuel pump after I try the easy stuff (fuel filter, check the pressure, listen for the prime, etc.) All things I have learned from reading on here. The dealership quoted a cost of $730 for the fuel pump replacement, NAPA sells it for $170 for the pump and $250-$340 for the whole unit. Background: driving home last night and she stopped accelerating and died as I moseyed onto the shoulder. Put some gas in, cranked relentlessly but didn't start. Checked the pressure valve and fuel shot out so I thought a firing issue but spraying starter fluid in the intake got it to run at home so it's a fuel delivery issue. My plan would be to drop the tank. So.......1) if everything looks OK should I just replace the pump itself and not the assembly and 2) is this something I can do alone over a weekend? Any thoughts or known write ups would be a great help. I searched but did not find anything. I always appreciate the help.
You can do it! I replaced three last year(mine, neighbors, and daughters cavalier) My F150 I dropped the tank, my neighbors F150 we unbolted the bed, slid it back, I think his was easier( always easier standing up) It appears you have read up on this subject, and are headed in the right direction. The Haynes manual troubleshooting section lists 15 items it could be, but since it runs when you put starter fluid in it, it should not be electrical.
1. Plugged fuel filter ( no pressure if its plugged)
2. Water in fuel
(when you pushed the schrader valve was it gas or water)
3. Fuel Pump Relay
4. Fuel Pressure ( Haynes gives you procedures to test pressures)
5. Dirty or Plugged Injectors.

These were not in order as listed in the manual.

Let us know.
I looked on NAPA, take your VIN # to get the right one.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:38 AM
geocraig77
Freshman User
Moto57 that's great input. I'll be digging into it this weekend. My father in law swears by Seafoam so maybe I'll put that in or some Heet to see if water was the issue, but it smelled like gas coming from the Schrader valve. Napa had a list of about 15 different scenarios for the fuel pump (bed, wheelbase, vin #, etc.) I may have to have a blueprint of the truck! I'll let you guys know how it went after this weekend.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:49 PM
geocraig77
Freshman User
Well I couldnt wait to at least see what the problem could be so I got the pressure tester, a Haynes manual, and a fuel filter.
First I checked the pressure: Nothing, as in zero.
So I listened to hear the fuel pump prime with my wife turning to the on position: Nothing.
I had her turn it over while I banged on the tank: Nothing.
I checked the fuse: OK.
I checked the shut off by the passenger kick panel: wasn't popped up (I assume it pops up when it is activated as the button on top had no give at all.)
I changed the fuel filter: Still wouldn't start.
Unless I have missed anything it appears as if instead of prepping a room for an upcoming baby (first) I'll be changing the fuel pump. My wife is ecstatic.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:26 PM
moto57
Junior User
Originally Posted by geocraig77
Well I couldnt wait to at least see what the problem could be so I got the pressure tester, a Haynes manual, and a fuel filter.
First I checked the pressure: Nothing, as in zero.
So I listened to hear the fuel pump prime with my wife turning to the on position: Nothing.
I had her turn it over while I banged on the tank: Nothing.
I checked the fuse: OK.
I checked the shut off by the passenger kick panel: wasn't popped up (I assume it pops up when it is activated as the button on top had no give at all.)
I changed the fuel filter: Still wouldn't start.
Unless I have missed anything it appears as if instead of prepping a room for an upcoming baby (first) I'll be changing the fuel pump. My wife is ecstatic.
Good job checking all those things, instead of just throwing money at it!
Congrats on the upcoming arrival! Tell the wife you are fixing the truck just for her and the new baby, wouldn't want her to get stuck anywhere!
( but then again I am divorced, so don't tell her that last one!)

Old 04-15-2010, 09:32 PM
Nealcrenshaw
Senior User
No prime when turning the key=fuel pump replacement

they're easy,assuming you know what you're doing. i vote for removing the bed.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:25 AM
03xlstandardnewbie
New User
Truck Bed

just a tidbit of info, if you remove the bed, you can get directly to the fuel pump, w/o having to lower the tank

Quick Reply: Fuel pump replacement-am I in over my head?