cummins swap in CA

Old 04-12-2010, 05:07 PM
abriel68
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cummins swap in CA

hi, i'm starting the process of a cummins swap, CA referees say that when you go from a gas to diesel motor swap its fine as long as the motor is the same year or newer and all the "smog" components are on, i have a 99 super duty with 5.4 v8, my question is how are they going to be able to tell wheather or not its the same year or newer, the reason being is i can get a cummins for cheap (early 90's) if i have to get one newer im gna be paying more for it. so my question is can i get away with not getting the same year or newer?

Old 04-12-2010, 07:03 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
If I were going to spend a ton of money on a swap like that, I wouldn't want to chance having to rip it all out because a DMV lackey says I have to.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:10 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,583 Likes on 1,291 Posts
I would say this is no go. The new diesel smog check deal starts with '98 models. Thus, a '99 would be subject to test, and you'll never pass with a swap like that methinks.

For prior year models, I THINK you can just apply to have the motive power changed on your registration, and since you are going to diesel you would be exempt if '97 and older.

They specifically talk about diesel to gas conversions here:

Engine Change Guidelines

Note there is a "contact us" option at the bottom. I suggest you contact them and ask--you'll get it first hand then.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:28 PM
abriel68
Senior User
thanks for that info, yeah that would def suck, i'll contact them to make sure its a go or not.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:15 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Just as a head's up - there is a plate on the front of the Cummins diesels (may be california only, but I doubt it) that tells the year, etc.

These plates are on both the 91 5.9l and the 94 5.9l I have.

I did have a buddy use that to his advantage in the past as he said he put the cummins in his ramcharger, drove it to the DMV, showed them the diesel in the truck and pointed to the plate (stock plate on cummins) that says "this vehicle meets emissions codes for blah, blah, blah" and the lady OKed his "repower" and gave him diesel registration.

Now with the new fundraiser (smog check) for diesel laws here in CA the process might be a little more tricky. BUT, I would think that if you left the thing alone it would pass the smog test. From what I have heard the main test on the diesels is a smoke test. Don't turn the pump up a ton and you'll burn clean and pass.

IMO I would NOT want to visit a BAR referee. Done that before when going through my supercharged 3.8L swap into my 89 ranger. I will NEVER deal with that again! F those idiots! My truck passed the sniffer test the 1st visit and it took 6 more visits to pass the VISUAL inspection, with him getting me on little, tedious BS each time. Went so far as to make me change a generic brand vaccum solenoid out for one with a Ford logo on it. Total fund raiser as if they REALLY cared about air quality a sniffer test would be all that is required!

So yeah, rant over and there is the reason that I refuse to buy a vehicle that has to be smogged in CA.

My cummins motor is going in my 74 crew cab and no one has to look over my shoulder at it when I'm done

Old 04-14-2010, 07:04 PM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll bet money they wont let it go thru. They have a CHP guy that looks at the emissions sticker at the DMV. I was going to put in a DT466 in a 99 Super Duty I had, and had to bail on it, mostly for that reason. Imagine the look on the CHP guy's face if he saw that much iron in there! That engine was a 94, besides. I strongly urge you to look for a 97 or older truck!

Old 05-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by abriel68
my question is how are they going to be able to tell wheather or not its the same year or newer, the reason being is i can get a cummins for cheap (early 90's) if i have to get one newer im gna be paying more for it. so my question is can i get away with not getting the same year or newer?
They can tell the year is older because it's a 12v Cummins with a mechanical pump. The correct engine for that era would be the 24v, now if you found one of those you might be able to make it work, but really it's not worth the hassle.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:37 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
You really think any given CHP who inspects the thing is gonna be enough of a cummins enthusiest to differentiate between a 24v and a 12v

And as far as wiring up the 24v - 6 more wires ain't gonna hurt no one

Old 05-03-2010, 12:13 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by ChaseTruck754
You really think any given CHP who inspects the thing is gonna be enough of a cummins enthusiest to differentiate between a 24v and a 12v
It's not CHP, it's the referee station. Those guys know their stuff for the most part and without their OK you don't get tags and stickers.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:19 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Not sure why but I saw the CHP in post #6 and was responding thinking the guy was having them looking at it and you were responding to that. Long day is my only excuse for being a little slow last night.

As for the BAR referee - been there and done that with those A holes. See post #5 above

Old 05-03-2010, 01:18 PM
7DF250
Elder User
The DT466 probably would not fly due to different class, MED duty engine in a LT duty truck. If you read the swap guidlines that is one of the requirements must be from the same class. The 5.9 is available from 3/4 ton up through the medium duty chassis. I have never seen the CHP at the DMV unless there was a threat (after Oklahoma city) to federal buildings. If you swap a mechanicle engine into a previously computer controlled truck (your 99) your check engine light will no longer function and voiding your swap in the DMV's eyes.I know the market is soft for a 99 5.4 powered super but you would be dollars ahead selling, or finding a wrecked dodge or powerstroke of the same year or newer.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:45 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Check engine light is EASY to fake in OBD1 setup. OBD2 is a different story. Again - another reason to go 95 or newer.

Also - just a side point about reading on the DMV website. I haven't personally seen this, but I had a guy in my shp this past weekends buying parts for a '79 he just bought. He wanted something pre smog so he said he checked out the DMV website and they still show the smog year as rolling - which I don't think it has been since 2006??? From what he said the DMV website said that as of 2009 - 1979 vehicles would have no smog check requirement, and in 2010 1980's would not.

Anyone who has paid attention to this knows the greenie lobbiests killed the rolling smog years ago. BUT our dumb arsed, goverment agency DMV still has WRONG info on the website.

My point is - if they are wrong there - who's to say what you read online for the swap guidelines is correct.

I'd wish you even better luck in asking a DMV employee - eith in person at the DMV or over the phone. They dont' seem to know their butt from a hole in the ground. I had a lady at the DMV tell me that even though I non-opped one of my trucks when I pulled it out of non op all of the fees from the years it sat on non op would be due. Avoiding this is the very reason for non op

Don't believe everything you read... Especially if the government printed it!

Old 05-04-2010, 11:59 AM
7DF250
Elder User
True but on a later model truck going from gas to diesel eventually they are going to ask for a smog which will send him to the referee that's where the swap will get killed. To go through the process of swapping only to be killed by red tape would be heart breaking. A referee will try to I.D. the engine if it's a DT466 his research will tell him medium duty, right there in his eyes it is over, swap is not legal. Putting a mechanical 5.9 in a computer controlled truck will also result in a fail. The referee will try to test the check engine light function and if it can be faked to get past him then more power to you but if you don't get past him all efforts and $$$ is wasted. The way I see it is if you want Cummins power there are trade offs either buy a newer Dodge if you like later model trucks or buy an older rig and like Chasetruck and many others and build your truck. I'd really hate to see a guy make such a tremendous effort and end up with nothing because he didn't play by the DMV rules, however squirrely they are. Play it safe is all I'm saying, make damn sure you are good BEFORE you swap.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:57 PM
AllAboutDaZ
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any more input on this topic?

Old 09-14-2016, 01:58 PM
MURDOMINO
Mountain Pass
Daz if you're interested, i worked at the referee for 3 years and still go back to visit with two of them usually weekly. Assuming ill only discuss this particular swap, you must tell the referee what engine you put in. they then will research the vacuum/emissions diagram for the said engine. obviously it must be from the same year or newer as your truck. also with trucks, you can not swap a "medium-duty" engine into a "light-duty" truck. the vehicle underlabels take presidence and say whether they are of light or medium duty build. i think most trucks since 80's in California are light-duty, and thats considered less than 15k lbs GVW... the DMV doesnt care about what engine is in it. sure bringing in a vehicle from out of state is a whole other issue, just swapping an already registered truck only has an issue with the smog check, which is where the ref's come in if you want to get the all glorified white sticker the "BAR Label." message me if you have any more specific questions