6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Changing Fuel Filters on 6.0L

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 01:14 PM
blowhole
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing Fuel Filters on 6.0L

Went out this morning to change the fuel filters on my 6.0L. Bought the prescribed Motorcraft filters, all ready to go.

I read up on how to do the change, all the manuals, online, etc. Seemed easy enough.

First, got underneath the truck, and I do not see the water release valve. No lever to release the excess water!

Second, changed the filter engine-side without a problem. New gasket, new filter, fine.

Third, go back underneath to change the larger filter at the fuel pump and discover that there is no way on earth that I can get the new filter into a position to replace the old one, much less get the old one out. The front drive shaft (4x4) and the frame create a space much too small to fit the new filter in. And the brake, a/c, and fuel lines running along the frame prevent me from accessing the front of the pump at the filter housing from any other direction. WTH?

Now, I did not have time to lift the Ex and put her on stands to see if a sagging front end would create more space between the front drive-shaft and the frame. But other than that, I have no idea how to get to the filter-side of the pump.

I will try and take a pic later to show you. But until then, anybody else have a smart answer to this??

Please advise and thanks in advance.

EDIT TO ORIGINAL POST TO INCLUDE PICS OF PROBLEM:

Old 04-10-2010, 01:22 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Look at this picture....
Service Points - HFCM and Fuel Filters

See the flat brass plug? That drains the water. Then for the future, get one of these...
HFCM Drain Plug

Not sure what it looks like under your EX, my truck is tight also, just used short strokes and it worked, some have used an extension to move the wrench further back. Haven't tried that yet. Next fuel filter change will be different. And no, I didn't take a diesel bath. Used rubber gloves also.

Check Tech folder for more info.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:05 PM
sandmanf250
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
drop the the front driveshaft.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:38 PM
blowhole
Senior User
Originally Posted by amdriven2liv
Look at this picture....
Service Points - HFCM and Fuel Filters

See the flat brass plug? That drains the water. Then for the future, get one of these...
HFCM Drain Plug
Reps given for that link to the drain plug - that is perfect. Also, thank you for the pic of the stock drain bolt. Why Ford did not update their user manual to reflect a different method for draining the water is beyond me.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:39 PM
blowhole
Senior User
Originally Posted by sandmanf250
drop the the front driveshaft.
This could be a possibility. But, always a big but, how difficult is it drop the driveshaft? How time consuming? Got a link to the process?

Old 04-10-2010, 09:12 PM
fordtech08
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I change those filters on drive on racks all the time, or on the floor, use an extension from behind the trans case makes life simple, and no I have yet to drop the driveshaft

Old 04-10-2010, 09:14 PM
dschuffert
Posting Guru
I use an oil filter strap. Same here, no need to drop the driveshaft.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:22 PM
DPorter
More Turbo
So do I. The oil filter wrench.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:43 PM
blowhole
Senior User
Guys, thanks for the responses. Maybe I didn't adequately explain myself. Let me try again:

I don't have a problem getting the filter cap off, I can unscrew the cap.

The issue is getting the old filter out of the pump and the new filter back into pump. The front drive shaft (4x4) and the frame create a space much too small to fit the new filter in. And the brake, a/c, and fuel lines running along the frame prevent me from accessing the front of the pump at the filter housing from any other direction.

I will take a pic and post, hopefully I will get a chance tomorrow.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:47 PM
fordtech08
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by blowhole
Guys, thanks for the responses. Maybe I didn't adequately explain myself. Let me try again:

The issue is getting the old filter out of the pump and the new filter back into pump. The front drive shaft (4x4) and the frame create a space much too small to fit the new filter in. And the brake, a/c, and fuel lines running along the frame prevent me from accessing the front of the pump at the filter housing from any other direction.

there is room to do it with out takeing anything else apart try putting the filter and cap up there as two pieces instead of together

Old 04-10-2010, 09:50 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,727 Posts
Originally Posted by blowhole

after unscrewing the cap, pull it all out just far enough to pull the cap off of the filter. Take the cap from the filter area and set it aside (clean location). You should then have enough room to remove the filter element.

Do you insert the new filter partway into the housing, then bring the cap into position and snap the filter into the cap before screwing it on?

Edit - nice post fordtech08 (and a whole lot fewer words than me)

Old 04-12-2010, 02:25 PM
blowhole
Senior User
Here are some pics of my predicament:

You will notice that the space between the front driveshaft and the bottom of the frame prevent me from inserting the new filter into the space that leads into the pump. I have ruined this filter trying to find a reasonable place to put insert the thing.

Let me know what you think. Sorry, just cellphone quality pics.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:48 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try going over the top of the drive shaft.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:01 PM
blowhole
Senior User
Originally Posted by SteveBricks
Try going over the top of the drive shaft.
No, not even close! Not unless I jacked up the front of the truck so much that the front-end sagged enough to give me space to insert the filter?!?!?! But I don't know if that is possible, I only have a standard jack.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:01 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you jack up the car at the frame (letting the diff drop) it would create more room beside the filter.

Then go way down away from the filter where there is a bigger opening (because the drive shaft is tilted).

Slide out the old filter that way, then get the new one in the same way, while keeping it clean (maybe wrap it up?)

Tricky... I don't envy you.

Mine is on the outside of the frame rail and is the vertical type...

Quick Reply: Changing Fuel Filters on 6.0L