1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

05 Ranger 3.0 idling rough

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 09:26 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Take a close look where you saw the arcing & sparking & see if you can spot any cracks in the expxy encapsulant. If so, you'll need another coil pack. They are known to develop cracks, so this isn't unusual.

You could pull the coilpack & have it bench tested at no cost, by your favorite autoparts store, take your spray water bottle & give it a squirt if need be.

Let us know what you find.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:40 PM
btwiggins21
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, as you have guessed by now this isnt my daily driver, but i still want to get it running right. Ok so here is what ive done since i last got on here. It has had:
3 additional bottles of Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner
A new ignition coil
A 2nd set of plugs

And none of these seem to solve my problem. It is still idleing rough when i come to a stop and when i first crank it. I have managed to aquire the codes that are appearing on my 3.0 Ranger. They are
P0300
P0306
P0316

All of which I was told point to the fact that it is missing... What next????

Old 07-07-2010, 06:46 PM
pawpaw
P0300= random misfire.
P0316= startup misfire within the first 1000 rpm.
P0306= cyl 6 misfire.

SO, the computer is unhappy with cyl #6 for some reason.

Since you've messed with #6 lately, installing new plugs & wires, inspect #6 plug wire to make sure it's properly fastened on both ends.

If thats ok, give it the wet down test.

If thats ok, remove #6 plug wire & do an end to end resistance check. It should be about 1000 ohms/inch of length, 30,000 ohms max.

If thats ok, remove #6 plug & inspect it's internal & external ceramc insulators for chips, cracks, metal marks, dirt, or anything that would cause it to misfire.
Check that it's spark gap is to spec.

If thats ok, do a compression check on #6cyl.

if thats ok, maybe suspect the #6 fuel injector, so listen to it when the engine is running rough, to detemine if it's click sound is different from the other injectors, or if it's intermittent.

If thats ok you could try swapping #6 injector with another cyl, to see if the misfire code will follow the injector.

Somewhere between spark, fuel, or compression, the computer is unhappy with #6 cyl.
Let us know what you find.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:57 PM
btwiggins21
New User
ok the wire and the plug are both checkin out good. When it comes to the compression test, i will have till i can get to the store to pick up a test kit. As for the injectors im not sure what i should be listening for???

Old 07-07-2010, 08:08 PM
pawpaw
" detemine if it's click sound is different from the other injectors, or if it's intermittent."

Old 07-12-2010, 02:21 PM
btwiggins21
New User
Ok, so here is what has happened over the weekend. I had the injectors cleaned- for $35 i didnt figure it would hurt. That was on Friday- it ran perfect for sat and then sunday evenin it started acting like it did before. Rough idle when first cranked and when it comes to a stop. After a short discussion with my truck, where do i need to go from here? The CEL light isnt on currently and hasnt come back on since the injectors where cleaned.

Still havent dont the compression test, seeing as i thought my problems where solved.

What next???

Old 07-12-2010, 03:43 PM
pawpaw
Well if you no longer have misfire codes, but have a rough idle, maybe suspect the IAC is acting out as suggested in post #14????!!!!

So next time it idles rough, stop, raise the hood & disconnect the IAC & see what happens.

If the IAC is working, things should get worse when you disconnect it. If not, it ikely has a problem.

If things get worse with it disconnected, it's working & something else is likely acting out.

So maybe suspect something like a randomly sticking PCV valve, or a sticking intake valve, or vacuum leak.

Seeing as how the compuer was unhappy with #6 cyl & you've recently had it's injector out, recheck it's electrical connector, contacts & wiring.
No loose fitting, bent or corroded pins or sockets, or damaged wire strands or insulaton & the electrical connector should be firmly fastened in place.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:42 AM
btwiggins21
New User
ok as of this morning, the misfire codes are back. About the IAC- it gets slightly worse when disconnected- tried a new one at the store and it is still acting up. The codes that are coming up are the same ones from above.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:53 AM
pawpaw
A vacuum gauge hooked up & monitored could provide some clues about whats going on.

A compression check, especially on #6 cyl might provide some insite too.

Any engine noise when it's running rough, like a stuck lifter or valve tic, ect????

Old 09-16-2010, 12:30 PM
btwiggins21
New User
Ok, now that I am officailly crazy and after a trip to the hospital- wife fell down the stairs in the process of me catching her, my arm got caught between banister rail and stair steps= broken arm- the compression has finally been checked. I checked cylinder #'s 4, 5, and 6. Well here is what i got out of each one

#4- 150
#5- 155
#6-170

There are no sounds coming from the truck. When the code comes on and says it is misfiring, if you lift the hood shouldnt you be able to hear the misfire??? In mine you can't, you just see (and feel it in the cab) it "shimy" slightly like the truck is surging????

Any new ideas????

Old 09-16-2010, 01:16 PM
pawpaw
Sorry to hear of the broken arm.

Good feedback on the compression numbers & #6 cyl isn't low, so nothing showing there at the time the test was done.

Did you do the compression test right after the engine started running rough, or was this a cold engine compression test????

Seeing as how having the fuel injectors cleaned has been the only thing you've done so far thats given positive results, maybe stay with a trouble shoot of the #6 fuel injector.

When the engine is running rough, listen to the #6 injector with a stethoscope, to determine if it sounds different from the others & if that difference is in time with the miss.

If you come to suspect an injector problem, maybe hook up a Noid light in it's harness to see if it's missing a firing signal when the engine misses, the Noid light will give a visual indication of a problem.

If still i doubt, you could try swapping #6 out with another cyl's injector, to see if the misfre code will follow the injector.

If you come to suspect an internal injector problem, pull that injector, disassemble, inspect & clean it.

Have you hooked up a vacuum gauge to do an engine operation analisis with it????
It's an easy test to do & can give confirning info on other tests, just follow the gauge instructions on how to interpret what the gauge is showing.

Is the P0306 the only trouble code you have now??? If not, post All the code numbers you have.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:41 PM
btwiggins21
New User
Ok, after months of ready to pull my hair out, i have stumbled upon something that has finally caught my eye, just want and opinion if this is the real thing or not:

Ok so i have codes P0300, P0306, and P0316. I found the following thing from the all mighty google, just wondering if this is real and if i take it into my local dealership, they will hopefully fix the problem im having.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/jm...sb05-26-03.pdf

Old 11-01-2010, 09:34 PM
pawpaw
Well maybe on TSB 05-26-3, but this condition wouldn't be fixed by having the fuel injectors cleaned!!!!

Remember you said it ran great for a while After having them cleaned!!!

So have you measured the operational B+ voltage to #6 injector at KOEO????

Have you listened to #6 injector when the misfire happens, to detemine if it's operational "click" sounds different from the other injectors????

Have you measured it's resistance to see if it's in spec, or way different from the others????

Have you swapped #6 injector with another cylinder, to see if the misfire will follow????

You posted above that the #6 plug & wire have been inspcted & tested & were ok, so I assume you did the "wetdown test & plug wire end to end resistance check????

You posted that the compression on #6 checks out.

So it seems to me about the only thing done that offers up a clue, is that you got a brief positive result after the injector cleaning.
So right now I'd suggest following that clue & see where it leads!!!!