6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

wrench light?????what does it mean???

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 08:32 AM
nylyon
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't have a tool to command the fan nor does my insight have a monitor for fan speed. I do however have a spare temperature sensor which I can hook to the coolant or oil temps and put a match on to see if the fan kicks in.

The temperatures here have been quite cool for the past week or so, less than 60 degrees. I did however inspect the belt and it looks good to me and I don't hear any squealing.

If anyone with an AE is in my area (putnam / westchester / fairfield county CT) area who has a moment to hook me up to their scan tool, I would be grateful.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:32 AM
nylyon
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
98SurplusExpy - Please keep us updated if you (or your dealer) find a solution to the oil / coolant temperature difference.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:39 PM
98SurplusExpy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nylyon
98SurplusExpy - Please keep us updated if you (or your dealer) find a solution to the oil / coolant temperature difference.
Will do ... I'm in a bit of a holding pattern now - waiting to get the new Edge Insight CS when it is released in mid June. I need to get a visual of what the temps are doing.

I just don't understand how it can take 36K miles for an oil cooler to clog, then get replaced and take 1K miles to clog again, Assuming the dealer actually "did" do the job, there has got to be something else going on.

With the latest flash ... does anyone know what the "auctual" programming is that triggers the DTC P012F for Oill Cooler Efficiency? I've seen many assumptions that it is a 15 deg. delta; but does anyone know that as a programming fact?

Old 07-03-2010, 06:16 PM
kdi500
New User
Originally Posted by gearloose1
Wrench is really serious.

Take it to the dealer and at least, get the codes read now.

It can be things like failure of the accelerator pedal.

You don't want to go Toyota.
This is my problem. My wrench AND engine lights are on and today I lost my accellerator. It just quit working and the engine went to idle. It ran, I didn't lose my ac or anything, just nothing when I stepped on the pedal. I guess that's better than the opposite, but it is a problem. I stopped the truck and shut her down, started it up again, seemed to be ok until i started going again. It stuttered bad until i floored it and it ran fine the next 10 miles home. What does this mean for me? Is it a pricy repair?

Old 07-07-2010, 10:36 PM
98SurplusExpy
Senior User
I'm still getting the wrench light ... but only on steady interstate-like travel for a minimum of 30 mins or so. I can ride around all day in town and it wont come on.

So ... finally got my Edge Insight CS in today & got it installed. Initial cold readings were 102* ECT & 100* EOT (engine hasn't been ran all day, it's been over 100* outside). This tells me there's not a faulty temp sending unit (I bought a new one but never installed it).

Anyway, drove around town for maybe 15 mins ... the Insight showed I had a 20* delta by the time I was heading home . This on a supposed "new" oil cooler with less than 3500 miles on the clock since installed.

If you read over the actual TSB, the light doesn't come on just beacuse there is a 15* delta; it's a combination of load, speed, & temp. So there's something about long steady drives that triggers it.

6.0L is weighing heavy on me again ... calculating my options

Old 07-08-2010, 07:20 AM
ehgeeray
Senior User
Originally Posted by 98SurplusExpy
I'm still getting the wrench light ... but only on steady interstate-like travel for a minimum of 30 mins or so. I can ride around all day in town and it wont come on.

So ... finally got my Edge Insight CS in today & got it installed. Initial cold readings were 102* ECT & 100* EOT (engine hasn't been ran all day, it's been over 100* outside). This tells me there's not a faulty temp sending unit (I bought a new one but never installed it).

Anyway, drove around town for maybe 15 mins ... the Insight showed I had a 20* delta by the time I was heading home . This on a supposed "new" oil cooler with less than 3500 miles on the clock since installed.

If you read over the actual TSB, the light doesn't come on just beacuse there is a 15* delta; it's a combination of load, speed, & temp. So there's something about long steady drives that triggers it.

6.0L is weighing heavy on me again ... calculating my options

You must have alot of crap in your cooling system. I suggest you put on a coolant filter and run it for a few thousand miles before you change your oil cooler again... If you don't you may be putting a third oil cooler in. There have been several people on this forum that have installed a coolant filter and had it plug after 250miles. I'm guessing if you install one you may be one of these people.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:36 AM
ford4x4956
Senior User
hey i started this thread and forgot to update it on how i got the problem fixed. The reason the wrench light would come on is for oil cooler efficiency and all i did was do an iron flush on the cooling system and problem fixed its been like 3 weeks and no wrench light and ive been driving it kinda hard and still no wrench light so i guess that was it. I used 2 quarts of the ford iron flush, hope this helps

Old 07-08-2010, 11:28 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,718 Posts
Originally Posted by ford4x4956
hey i started this thread and forgot to update it on how i got the problem fixed. The reason the wrench light would come on is for oil cooler efficiency and all i did was do an iron flush on the cooling system and problem fixed its been like 3 weeks and no wrench light and ive been driving it kinda hard and still no wrench light so i guess that was it. I used 2 quarts of the ford iron flush, hope this helps
Thanks for the update. The new recommendation from Ford is a flush every 50k miles (not 100k). Using the VC-9 (stick strictly with the directions) is a big help. It may or may not help on an "already clogged" cooler, but it is a great preventative maintenance action.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:51 PM
amgpro2
Senior User
My truck just got a new oil cooler, egr cooler, vc9 flush, new radiator and head gaskets. Got flashed to VXCF9 and 30min into towing went to limp mode with wrench. Went on a 180 mile trip so got tune for my X2 from Justin at vmptuning.com and wrench light didn't come back on during trip. Having issues with low psi from turbo so it may not have been an eot ect issue that kept causing the wrench to turn on but when the turbo psi drops my egt's start to climb like crazy.I will be returning truck to stock and testing to see if I get the wrench light.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:18 PM
98SurplusExpy
Senior User
Towed my travel trailer (about 7000 lbs maybe) down to the beach today ... let me tell 'ya MY temp spread on my 2k mile old oil cooler ... ECT = 190* & EOT = 254*!! And 254* was because that was the highest my Insight CS would display (or the temp sending unit would send).

The dash temp guage went to Hot (red zone) once & I got the message center warning to check temps ... although the ECT was still 190*, so it had to be the EOT triggering it. Of course, I got the P012F wrench light ... things actually got better a little when the wrench light came on. I think it shuts down the EGR or something.

No puking or anything, but I'm sure I cooked the oil. My fan clutch would lock in often (no affect on oil temps), but another wierd thing that would happen is that when decellerating (like coming to a stop light), the engine would get real quite and the RPM's would spin up a little. Then, it would return to normal with the blam-blam-blam diesel engine sound. My EGT's showed no issue.

Anyway, I called Ford before I left ... they said there was no warranty on the 2k mile old warranty work; said there would only be a warranty on it if I paid for it. The Tech I spoke to said that my "coolant filter" was causing the temp difference & still suggested that I change the Oil Temp Sending Unit. My determination is that they couldn't have properly flushed my coolant system before doing the EGR & Oil Cooler job ... it shouldn't have clogged again so quickly.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:22 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
do temps drop quickly on decel?
so far as the coolant filter goes if its an 06 return it to stock set up and when it happens again call them up.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:41 PM
98SurplusExpy
Senior User
Originally Posted by cheezit
do temps drop quickly on decel?
so far as the coolant filter goes if its an 06 return it to stock set up and when it happens again call them up.
Nah ... the EOT would only drop off when I got in slow traffic; & then it would still be like a 20*-40* delta.

The Tech wasn't really taking issue with the fact that I have a coolant filter ... he was saying that having it caused the EOT's to be higher. Made no sense.

When I had the EGT & Oil cooler job done, the truck was under warranty ... 2k miles later I have no warranty due to a theft recovery title brand. Truck only has 37k miles.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:41 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
ok so you have a T1 title (branded). I hate to say this but even if the dealer were to replace the cooler again on monday they still wont have to warranty the repair do to the fact its a branded title. so basicly no matter what you do you rally cant count on geting repairs covered 12/12.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:02 PM
sawilson
New User
2006 F350 6.0,cc,lwb, 43000mi. Rebuilt turbo about 8000mi. ago. Reflashed 3 weeks ago. No problem driving around town then hooked up the trailer to go on 4 day elk hunt and about 100 miles down the road I get the wrench light. Truck goes into limp mode. I pull over, check owners manual, restart with no light. Drive 5 or 6 miles and it's on again. Pulled over and called my dealer. Mechanic gives several possibilities but can't say without a scan.
Call a local dealer and they can take a look in the A.M.(Sat.)thank you! Drive about 10 miles and spend the night with friends. No light? Drive about 20 miles to dealer the next A.M., no light. They pull a over-boost code but don't have time to fix it today. Hooked back up to the trailer and drove back home 100+ miles with no problems. Goes back to my local dealer Tuesday A.M. Any thoughts on this problem????

Old 02-20-2011, 08:55 PM
Delawhere?
Senior User
Originally Posted by ford4x4956
I too have the wrench light on when towing. Traveling to Florida it came on after I got to warmer climate from Georgia to Florida. It comes on after about 30 minutes of towing and goes off again after stopped for awhile, like at a rest area. But after driving 20-30 minutes the light comes on again. I haven't had any problems with losing power. My gauges all seem to read properly, my seperate trans temp is reading normal, turbo boost is normal, and EGT temp gauge normal. The odd thing is when I am driving and not towing I never get the wrench light. I am hoping that when I finally get to my next stop I will get it to a Ford dealer to check for a code, but I suspect it may be similar to your problem and needs a radiator cleaning. I have 52,000 miles on my truck and tow a 38 ft. fifth wheel.

Quick Reply: wrench light?????what does it mean???