General Automotive Discussion

"Interview" at a ford dealer for service dept. job, Some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Cruiseomatic
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Interview" at a ford dealer for service dept. job, Some questions.

I got called in for a interview at a local dealership but not sure on some things.

What should I wear?
Should it be casual or more professional?
What all should I ask?

There some more but can't think of them right now,
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The biggest questions I personally would have are around the notion of training and certification. Express a desire to move up, adapt to the existing team, becoming more profitable as an employee (and therefore making more money) would be high on my mind.

AUDACITY has it's limits, in a first meeting - yet should be considered if you have a lot of experience. Don't OVER play it, so it won't be seen as bragging. They will be wary of people who have their own ideas that need to be got rid of first.

They will also want to know about backgrounding (YOURS) and any training and certificates you already carry.

If you have any uniforms from prior service jobs - wear the slacks, with a sports shirt, or generic colored T-shirt. You don't get a uniform from a dealership usually until you PROVE yourself, so the next best thing is to find something that blends with the look of the other service techs. The idea being to present yourself as how you would look at work there. Look at what the techs there wear, and iron your clothes ahead of time, so they look sharp!

I envy you. FORD Service departments have a detailed online training program that becomes available if you prove out. It requires that a personalised login and code be registered for you. That only happens at a dealer.

Be no-nonsense. If you brag on things you don't really know it won't work out well.

Express interest in areas you want to learn about. Also about Fords and vehicles in general.

On questions YOU ask, the only dumb question is one you don't have the guts to ask!

From there it spreads out quite a bit: A smart man enquires about benefits, but not so much as to seem like a leach. Get the matter of vacation time out front - and expect it to be small until you are in solid.

1) Dress like you mean business.
2) BE LIKE you mean business.
3) ALWAYS be willing to learn.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:18 AM
Cruiseomatic
Posting Guru
Thanks,I think I get the idea. I have a un-worn pair of work pants from my current job that resemble slacks. They are black in color. I'm still really nervous about this, I hope I make the right impression. The service dept. manager called me.....completely surprised me. I thought someone lower would of. I really really hope everything works out.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:52 PM
RJR99SS
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what exactly is the position you're interviewing for?

If you're on the customer service side of things, then yeah i'd wear a somewhat non-formal suit and tie. I like to just leave the jacket off and have a dress shirt and tie, kinda says i want to look nice, but i'm not too serious about it. Sort of what the service department uniforms are like.

If you're applying for a tech job, i'd wear a clean tech uniform. Probably bonus points if you got your ASE stickers, or any other certs on there.

As for casual....depends who you're talking to. If you're talking to the service manager, be serious. If you're talking to anyone else, try to keep it casual. Most service departments the service manager is an old grumpy *****, and everyone else has a sort of drinking buddy attitude with eacother.

Asking....ask about the department, what types of jobs do they regularly see, what are their strengths and weaknesses, are they trying to improve anything. "Oh, thats interesting that you're looking into that, because i just happen to have...blah blah blah" that sort of thing. Anytime i interview i always ask when i can start at the end. They always say they dont know, but i always like to say "Ok, thats understandable, but....is there anything i was unclear about on my resume or on this interview that you're unsure about, maybe i can clear that up?" that usually extends things another 10 minutes or so, gives you a bigger idea of what they're looking for, lets them get to know you more, that sort of thing.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:21 PM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise, if I was the service manager, and I saw you drive up to the dealer in that '66 Comet, the job would be yours.

Maybe don't drive up in the Silverado.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Cruiseomatic
Posting Guru
Had the interview, Had all my Army certificates and everything, Wore slacks with a shirt and arrived 10 minutes early. Spoke to the service manager, VERY laid back guy. Easy to talk to, Made things much easier. Could'nt take the '66 Comet. She needs a new windshield and muffler plus a new inspection sticker. When we discuss more on monday I'll try to take her instead. The whole thing went well.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Cruiseomatic
Posting Guru
Couldnt take the Mercury, However I got the job. Right now I'm working on whats called "Quick lane" which from what I can tell is Fords version of jiffy lube. I love it working here.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:51 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
cool, congrats

Old 04-07-2010, 08:39 AM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Nice! Hope it works out.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:43 AM
Wicked Endings
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats!

Nice to hear it.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Cruiseomatic
Posting Guru
Thanks guys. I just hope I make enough to get that new F250 XLT I've been eyeing to get rid of this silverado I've got.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Cruiseomatic
Posting Guru
Cool

Dealership did'nt work out. Got laid off on Labor day. I was only getting around $240 a week and on my flag sheets I was getting less than minimum wage daily, Brought it up to the service manager a few times that I need more than that because for one its below minimum wage and I had a family to support. Well apparently they did'nt want to pay more than that so they let me go and found some kid to replace me that will accept that little bit of pocket change. And after seeing how that place does bussiness its a true wonder how that place stays in bussiness...

Old 07-07-2010, 03:00 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
well not too put down any auto dealership but i would've said , " how do you like taking it up the tailpipe for the team , and can you talk a good deal of confusing bullsh-- , and screw people over without morality issues , and overcharge for services NOT rendered ??????????????? " ford may have a great training regimen , and want to be the place to work at , but they don't run the dealerships now do they ???????????? i know a couple of techs and salesmen , and to put it bluntly , if i was to be in there shoes i'd be in jail for beating the he-- out of the rats i worked for !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-07-2010, 08:55 AM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Labor Day isn't until September - might it have been Memorial Day?

Good luck in your new job search. $240 a week is hard to live on.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Cruiseomatic
Posting Guru
Yes it is Memorial Day, I'm sorry. I had them confused. I took the opritunity to continue my formal education using my G.I. Bill and learn about electronic repair and diagnostics. Just not automotive. Too much instability in this field. Working commision is deffinitly not fun and is scary at times.

Quick Reply: "Interview" at a ford dealer for service dept. job, Some questions.