2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

poping in the front end

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 05:49 PM
bunnmustangguy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool poping in the front end

Every once in awhile when you turn the wheel hard mostly to the right but does it both directions you can hear a loud pop. I tried looking to see if something was in a rubbing but see nothing to lead me to what is causing it. Its a 2008 2wd with 29,000 miles. Any suggestions or than taking it to the ford place?

Old 03-25-2010, 11:22 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have heard that too. I also hear it while turning and going over a bump or into a steep driveway. Like something is binding.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:11 PM
CarbonClear
Senior User
Guys , its not limited to 2wd suvs. I'm getting the same noise on the front end when I'm in 2wd mode. Doesn't happen all the time though and my dealer has looked at it.
The dealer hasn't been able to duplicate it. From my discussions with them it seems that they are aware of the problem.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:14 PM
gddyup
Senior User
First thing I would do is check to see if you have a bad ball joint. Jack the truck up just high enough so that you can slide a pry bar under the tire and pull up on the bar. You should see no movement of the assembly in relation to the truck. If you have a helper, have the helper pull up on the bar while you feel the ball joint for any play. Have jackstands under the truck if you go under to be safe of course.

You can also check the outer tie-rod by grabbing the outside edges of the tire and pushing side-to-side rapidly. You shouldn't feel any "play" in the wheel while you're moving it. This isn't the best way to check outers, but if there at the point of being dangerous, you'll feel it. A much better way is to check tie-rods on a turn plate where the trucks weight can be on the ground and on the tire.

Bad ball joint (notice the play) - YouTube - I think it's time for new ball joints!

Checking ball joint and tie rod - YouTube - Checking My Ball Joint and Tie Rod On My Car

Both videos are short and safe. They'll give you an idea although they are not Expys unfortunately.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:39 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Nice info!

Old 03-26-2010, 02:22 PM
soundtransmission
Junior User
I heard popping in my 2006 about every 3rd time I would make a "hard" turn, either way. Turns out both upper ball joints were out, as well as a CV joint and tie rod. It has 110,000 miles on it, so made sense that it was time for a front end job.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:25 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Originally Posted by soundtransmission
I heard popping in my 2006 about every 3rd time I would make a "hard" turn, either way. Turns out both upper ball joints were out, as well as a CV joint and tie rod. It has 110,000 miles on it, so made sense that it was time for a front end job.
Might be time to get the jack out and check this tonight.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:33 PM
soundtransmission
Junior User
Agreed. Bad ball joints are nothing to take lightly.

That's strange though that this is occuring after only 30,000 miles. Ball joints and other front end items typically go out after 100,000 miles...

Old 03-26-2010, 09:45 PM
mtondreo
Senior User
kind of subscribing but will also offer my input. I have an 06 4x4 expy (had this posted in that forum) and have had upper and lower ball joints replaced along with tie rod ends. Two different Ford dealerships and one independent shop all agree the noise is still there but they can not figure out what it is. Ford's answer was that we will find out what it was when it breaks (a little irritating because it is supposed to become wifes vehicle and she hauls the kid most of the time). Also the front pinion seal was done - so must not be in the front end either. checked sway bar mounts also. So, I absolutely loving the vehicle and happy with it, but I am "hammering it" a little harder to see if something breaks before my wife takes it. Alignment is dead on and vehicle tracks fine - but mine is every time are turn hard left or right - which is very common when parking. I digress but will watch to see if you guys find something. Thanks, Mike

forgot mileage is 42k - 30k when bought

Last edited by mtondreo; 03-26-2010 at 09:49 PM. Reason: forgot mileage is 42k
Old 03-27-2010, 02:46 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
there is another easy/free thing to check.

on the back side of the lower control arm. the sway bar endlinks bolt there. you should see about a 6" link that connects the sway bar to the LCA.

the sway bar endlinks typically make a popping noise when they are loose...especially when the suspension is cycled when turning...like when you turn into a driveway.

I had that issue on my F-150. Spent 5 minutes tightening them up and the noise never came back. On my Expy I don't necessarily hear a "popping" noise, but everytime we go over a speedbump I've been noticing a groaning noise. It's annoying, but I haven't had time to pull the tires off yet and inspect. But I wouldn't be surprised to find some loose links

Old 03-27-2010, 06:34 AM
gddyup
Senior User
Good input Tylus. I completly forgot about the sway bar end links. That will give you some noise too if they are broken. I use to see a lot of broken links on Chevys but not so much on the Fords. Chevy used a real cheap end link for a number of years that broke easily.

As far as ball joints lasting, I've replaced at least one side on every Ford truck I have ever owned before the 35,000 mile mark. My 99 Ranger, the 03 Explorer, and the 03 F-150 all had ball joints replaced before 35,000 miles. I expect my Expy will be no different.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:32 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tylus
there is another easy/free thing to check.

on the back side of the lower control arm. the sway bar endlinks bolt there. you should see about a 6" link that connects the sway bar to the LCA.

the sway bar endlinks typically make a popping noise when they are loose...especially when the suspension is cycled when turning...like when you turn into a driveway.

I had that issue on my F-150. Spent 5 minutes tightening them up and the noise never came back. On my Expy I don't necessarily hear a "popping" noise, but everytime we go over a speedbump I've been noticing a groaning noise. It's annoying, but I haven't had time to pull the tires off yet and inspect. But I wouldn't be surprised to find some loose links

Is this what your talking about?

Old 03-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
That is it. Is your suspension resting on the Jack in that picture?

If so, yeah your end link is freaking loose. The rubber boot should be compressed slighly and be snugly up against the LCA

but I can't tell from your picture if the LCA is at normal suspension compression or if it's drooping

Old 03-27-2010, 03:22 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
It's not my picture. Thanks for the info though. I will check it out.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:16 PM
mtondreo
Senior User
Just wanted to bump this and see if any of you guys found anything. My expy was gone this weekend, but plan on putting it up on ramps next weekend. I will definitely check the sway bar links. mine unfortunately does it real bad even after all of the front end work. A guy with an 04 expy 2wd rode with me last week and said his does the same thing. Would like to try and resolve. Thanks, Mike.

Quick Reply: poping in the front end