6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

2003 6.0L HELP! Loss Of Power Black Smoke

Old 03-19-2010, 06:18 PM
F 250 6 liter
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 6.0L HELP! Loss Of Power Black Smoke

Please help I have spent $at the dealership for the following:

8 new injectors
Mass air Flow sensor
EBP sensor
coolent fan clutch
oil change
fuel filter change

The original problem was it had a cold start and the first 20 minutes no power until it warmed up. But would still start cold. The injectors fixed the problem. Before the injectors I had the same problem. Driving 65mph and loss of power and black smoke. Would last for 5 minutes or so then go away. But when I punch it no power there and it sounds like it is sucking air or something? Been told maybe the FICM? Does not do all the time. Over the last 2 days the truck ran like a new one? Any input from you experts would be great. I am out of money!!

Thanks in advance

Old 03-19-2010, 06:22 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,698 Posts
When you have black smoke and loss of power, the first and cheapest thing to check is the EGR valve. Pull it and inspect it.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:23 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
Under what conditions do you get the smoke?

Old 03-19-2010, 08:44 PM
F 250 6 liter
Senior User
Ok is that something I can do myself where is it located? Thanks

Old 03-19-2010, 08:47 PM
F 250 6 liter
Senior User
Hello I only get the black smoke when I look out my mirror as soon as the truck loses power and wants to shut down black smoke comes out as slows down. When it goes back to normal no black smoke. It's like the truck is sucking in air or something.

I just drove it to the mall and it ran fine until I took it up a hill and punched it and it did it again.

Thanks

Old 03-19-2010, 09:30 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
black smoke is always some type of overfuel condition. the 2 major things that will cause that would be turbo or egr. in the case of the turbo it could be sticking vains or a failed vgt or the vgt connector. in the case of egr remove vlave and have a look in the intake. if you see black rocks its time to remove and clean the intake and egr valve.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:20 PM
racincowboy
Senior User
My friends have the same issue with their 03. Pulling a gooseneck up a grade loaded with 99f350 dually on trailer. Turbo "Barks" one or two times then power loss and lots of black smoke coughs and stumbles back out of the throttle and boost remains sluggish for a few seconds then the smoke stops power is back like nothing happened.

No codes or anything else. The dealership cannot figure it out. The motor is new 35k on it turbo is new same time as engine as well as new engine harness. The Dealership tech had his laptop hooked up and said maf was going crazy and egr was functioning properly engine fan never came on and should have we were going up a 14% grade with 99f350 dually on trailer. They then came back with a bad pcm as diagnosis put it on today no change in symptoms or issues. Anywhere else to look?

Any help is greatly appreciated they have had their truck 2 weeks now not able to figure out this issue. They use their truck daily to make money.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:11 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
not gonna help on that one.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:54 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,445 Likes on 891 Posts
Mine did the same thing on two different occassions and I suspected it was the EGR valve itself. I didn't take it to the shop since it was so intermittent, but I recently had the EGR valve replaced.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:37 PM
F 250 6 liter
Senior User
Hello Lance any updates your your issue with black smoke?

Hello lance any input on what was causing this issue? Thanks

Originally Posted by racincowboy
My friends have the same issue with their 03. Pulling a gooseneck up a grade loaded with 99f350 dually on trailer. Turbo "Barks" one or two times then power loss and lots of black smoke coughs and stumbles back out of the throttle and boost remains sluggish for a few seconds then the smoke stops power is back like nothing happened.

No codes or anything else. The dealership cannot figure it out. The motor is new 35k on it turbo is new same time as engine as well as new engine harness. The Dealership tech had his laptop hooked up and said maf was going crazy and egr was functioning properly engine fan never came on and should have we were going up a 14% grade with 99f350 dually on trailer. They then came back with a bad pcm as diagnosis put it on today no change in symptoms or issues. Anywhere else to look?

Any help is greatly appreciated they have had their truck 2 weeks now not able to figure out this issue. They use their truck daily to make money.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:19 PM
racincowboy
Senior User
Sorry I forgot I even posted this over here. Yes it turned out that it ended up being the VHT connector plug was "modified" (somewhat smooshed) when they put the new engine in. The also found the turbo vanes were sticking somewhat and rebuilt the turbo. There is some question in regards to the turbo and if the new one was actually installed when the new motor was put in. But that is between them. I am just glad their truck is fixed and I have mine back now.

All is good now. Thanks for the helps guys I greatly appreciate it.

Sorry for the delay in the conclusion. I will try harder next time. I am off back over to the 7.3 forum.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:42 PM
F 250 6 liter
Senior User
Black Smoke

Hello Troy did you truck do this after replacing the EGR? Thanks

Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
Mine did the same thing on two different occassions and I suspected it was the EGR valve itself. I didn't take it to the shop since it was so intermittent, but I recently had the EGR valve replaced.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:18 AM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by F 250 6 liter
Please help I have spent $at the dealership for the following:

8 new injectors
Mass air Flow sensor
EBP sensor
coolent fan clutch
oil change
fuel filter change

The original problem was it had a cold start and the first 20 minutes no power until it warmed up. But would still start cold. The injectors fixed the problem. Before the injectors I had the same problem. Driving 65mph and loss of power and black smoke. Would last for 5 minutes or so then go away. But when I punch it no power there and it sounds like it is sucking air or something? Been told maybe the FICM? Does not do all the time. Over the last 2 days the truck ran like a new one? Any input from you experts would be great. I am out of money!!

Thanks in advance
Ok dude, mine did this EXACT same thing. I would be going up mountain roads and I'd punch it to try and pass somebody and I'd hear a blowing or sucking sound near where the turbo would be and I would lose power and it would start blowing black smoke everywhere. If it's the same as mine, the black smoke and the blowing sound really have nothing to do with each other. I took it to a friend at the dealership who knows a ton about 6.0s and here's what he did. He drove it around a little, then pulled over and unplugged the EGR with the engine idling. That solved my loss of power and smoke problem, but the blowing was still there. He checked out the gasket (boot) connecting the intercooler hose to the turbo and it was cracked on the underside. Check those things out and see what happends.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:49 PM
F 250 6 liter
Senior User
OK so I am not crazy

Hey thanks for the reply my we are on the same page.

Does anyone know where I can find the EGR to unplug and is this ok to do when running or when the truck is off?

As for the gasket boot is that something I can see when lying under the truck? Could this also cause fumes to sometimes get into cab?

Thanks all for your help it looks like I am on my way to a resulution

Originally Posted by AndeyHall
Ok dude, mine did this EXACT same thing. I would be going up mountain roads and I'd punch it to try and pass somebody and I'd hear a blowing or sucking sound near where the turbo would be and I would lose power and it would start blowing black smoke everywhere. If it's the same as mine, the black smoke and the blowing sound really have nothing to do with each other. I took it to a friend at the dealership who knows a ton about 6.0s and here's what he did. He drove it around a little, then pulled over and unplugged the EGR with the engine idling. That solved my loss of power and smoke problem, but the blowing was still there. He checked out the gasket (boot) connecting the intercooler hose to the turbo and it was cracked on the underside. Check those things out and see what happends.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:10 PM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by F 250 6 liter
Hey thanks for the reply my we are on the same page.

Does anyone know where I can find the EGR to unplug and is this ok to do when running or when the truck is off?

As for the gasket boot is that something I can see when lying under the truck? Could this also cause fumes to sometimes get into cab?

Thanks all for your help it looks like I am on my way to a resulution
The EGR valve is between the oil filter housing and the alternator. It will look similar to the fuel filter housing with a 3-wire plug going into it. My mechanic did this while the engine was idling, and I haven't had a bit of trouble since. So the only thing I can recommend is to do it while it is running vs shut off.

As for the intercooler boot, you don't need to get under the truck. The intercooler tube is running from the front of your truck (intercooler or radiator area) around the alternator to the turbo. Where it connects to the turbo ther will be a bright blue (maybe not so bright depending on how dirty your engine is) boot or gasket that connects the intercooler tube to the turbo. Usually if they are cracked you can pick the tube up a little and feel it on the underside, or maybe even see it. If your trucks been running for a while it may be hot thought so be careful.

As far as the fumes go, I never had any problems with that so I can't speculate. I do however smell fumes pretty bad in the mornings when I first crank up, but that's it. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Here's a picture: and to clarify the picture, the arrows are pointing to the boot and the EGR, don't go by what the words are written on.
Name:  engine-1.jpg
Views: 14702
Size:  175.4 KB