6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

EGR Valve, Removal, Cleaning...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 07:35 PM
Timon5435
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR Valve, Removal, Cleaning...

CEL made an appearance today...Last week the little booger came on, check out things..thought maybe fuel pressure...Looooong story short, I ended up replacing the fuel pump and changing the filters. Fired right up and CEL went off.

So...driving today it came back on, pulled into Auto zone, they pulled codes P1335, and P0404. Both related to EGR problems (valve sticking open, etc.)

Called Dealer and reserved my valve at a modest 208.00 (not bad I thought), also bought the gasket kit. My original plan was to pull the valve, clean it, replace the gasket and o-rings, reinstall and be on my way. I went ahead and bought a new valve (just in case) I'm going out of town tomorrow and this is for my wife's EX, so she couldn't be without.

Pulled valve...it was dirty, cleaned it up nice, reinstalled, cleared the codes and everything is great again.

One question...my coolant seemed low (took 36 ounces to get full again), could I have coolant leak that doesn't show on the ground...if so where did my coolant go? (it did not get blown out, no residue)

P.S. I have photos but cannot seem to find a way to post them, they were taken with my iphone and are not on my mac in iphoto...any help with that and I'll post before and after pics. Thanks

Old 03-17-2010, 07:59 PM
Timon5435
Senior User
My pics are really tiny...anybody know how to change this...You can also take a look at my gallery..

Old 03-17-2010, 08:40 PM
steelhead2
Posting Guru
are your pics jpeg format?. sometimes when i e-mail pics from my mac they do that because theyre some wierd format, i dont recall what it was.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:16 PM
05whitef250
Junior User
Not trying to hijack, because i feel your pain with egr woes...but mentioned above was the fact that the exhaust was not being blown out because there is no residue you mean in the tail pipe? is this common of a faulty egr valve...if so what might this residue look like?

Old 03-18-2010, 10:06 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
For the OP

Your pics are small because you used the wrong forum codes. You accidentally selected the thumbnail codes.

Here is your first pic:

Regarding your coolant loss, you may have a leaking EGR cooler. That coincides with your EGR valve being gunked up. When they leak, the coolant goes out through the exaust, unlike leaking head gaskets which will usually blow out the degas bottle. That coolant mixes with the normal carbon buildup in an exhaust system, and turns into carbon paste gunk.

To try to nail this down, park your truck with the nose down and the tail up. Pull the EGR valve again and look down the hole for signs of wetness or even pooled coolant. That will be a dead giveaway that you are blowing coolant into the exhaust stream.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:23 PM
Timon5435
Senior User
Sorry for the confusion...what I meant by "not blowing out" was blowing coolant out of the degas bottle (common with head gasket leaks).

Besides my pesky oil drip (that keeps coming back after numerous trips to the dealer) there is no evidence of the coolant leaking.

Now, after pulling the valve, I did not see anything moist down the manifold. It was thick, paste like consistency. I took a screw driver, and very carefully broke it up sticking the vacuum all the way to the bottom each time a broke some loose. I got most of the gunk from the bottom of the hole. I didn't have a good brush to get it really clean, although if my cooler is leaking I wasn't too motivated to spend all day cleaning knowing that I might have to take the EGR valve out again in the near future. (that is why I didn't put the new one in yet).

I thought about pulling the EGR on my truck (2006 250 with 75K) and compare. My truck (knock on wood) has been a dream...ofcourse the only mods I have done are replace the speakers, nothing to the engine.

lets try this
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=29361

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=29363

thanks, bpounds...now if I can only get them to show up in the text !?!

Old 03-18-2010, 08:51 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,702 Posts
My EGR valve was very oily and sticky at first also. The ccv re-route, a new EGR valve (updated design), the most recent flash update, and fuel cetane booster each tank - now what coats the EGR valve is just a dry powder (as it should be).

I would be concerned about the coolant loss. It can be the result of a number of different issues, several of them are expensive. Are you sure that you did not see any coolant underneath the EGR valve?

Old 03-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Timon5435
Senior User
It was all dry underneath. As far as the coolant leak, I do have the 200K Diesel Care 13 Component warranty, the egr cooler is covered...what else could be leaking? I would like to delete it, but with 100K left on the warranty i have to keep it.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:00 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a EGR cooler coolant supply rubber hose that could be leaking.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Timon5435
Senior User
UPDATE.... CEL came on again today, 4 codes (P1335 and P0404) they showed up twice.

This is two days after taking out EGR cleaning (see above) and reinstalling. Should I just put in the new EGR and see if that solves the problem, or take it to dealership and see if there is another cause to the problem (leaking egr cooler, etc.) I really do not want to put in a brand new EGR and then something else cause it to fail. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 03-19-2010, 01:18 PM
utjer
Elder User
I would take it in, especially since you do have a warrenty on it. Problems on these trucks tend to snowball sometimes into bigger issues. If you catch things early you can stay in good shape most of the time.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:37 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Just to be different, I would probably put in the new valve. Nothing I can think of is going to damage the new valve, and it probably is the reason for the P404 FC.

The problem with taking it in is that you already dove into it and cleaned up the valve. Techs don't appreciate getting a job that has already been half-assed by the owner. It often makes their job to diagnose just that much more difficult. Not necessarily the case here, but you bought the valve, and you know how to install it, so why not give it a try?

Old 03-19-2010, 03:35 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,702 Posts
Originally Posted by bpounds
Just to be different, I would probably put in the new valve. Nothing I can think of is going to damage the new valve, and it probably is the reason for the P404 FC.

The problem with taking it in is that you already dove into it and cleaned up the valve. Techs don't appreciate getting a job that has already been half-assed by the owner. It often makes their job to diagnose just that much more difficult. Not necessarily the case here, but you bought the valve, and you know how to install it, so why not give it a try?
I agree w/ Bill.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:37 PM
Timon5435
Senior User
I agree and the new valve is in. I was surprised at how the other valve looked...really crusty, and it was only in for two days...I'm thinking faulty valve...which should be solved now. We will see. I'll post pics of the old valve tonight.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:55 PM
Timon5435
Senior User
Well....CEL ON!!! Less than 24 hours on a brand new EGR Valve. Also noticed the coolant level decreasing...Any Ideas on the problem? EGR Cooler? Any help would be appreciated..I'm taking it in to the dealership Monday, but would like to hear some ideas so I can talk with the tech. Thanks

Quick Reply: EGR Valve, Removal, Cleaning...