Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

2002 Ford Explorer Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 01:09 PM
drivembig
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Ford Explorer Transmission Problems

I have posted this in several forums, but no help yet. Anyone with input on this problem would be appreciated.

OK, I have read over and over about my problem. I have posted in a couple of forums, but I will go over my problem again.

I have a 2002 Explorer, 4.0V6, 5sp auto 5r55w tranny. The truck will not shift into 2nd gear without lifting on the throttle and it will not go into overdrive.

I haven't had a check engine light come on yet, but the O/D light did flash very rapidly one time.

I came to the conclusion after reading many forums that the overdrive servo bore was probably worn and I would have to sleeve it. So, I removed the exhaust and the tranny crossmember and removed the servo to check it out before I pulled the tranny. I found that there was already a sleeve in the bore. It looks to be a brass sleeve and not a steel sleeve. Is this correct?

So where am I at now????? I did notice that when I pushed the servo in, it felt like it kinda would stick and not want to pop back out. Does anyone know what the stock spring height should be?

Could the servo just be bad? I did notice some nicks in the rubber, but I could have done that myself trying to get it out. I haven't pulled the pan yet, I will tomorrow and check the band and see if it may be broken.

Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated......Thanks in advance.
<!-- / message -->

Old 03-17-2010, 07:25 PM
06silvercrew
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You dont have to pull the pan to check the band. On the side of the case there is two studs with lock nuts, Loosen the nuts and attempt to torque the studs to 10 ft/lb (120 in/lb) If the torque can be achieved, then your band is not broken. If the torque can not be achieved, you have a broken band. Note: if you find they are not broken, after reaching the 10 ft/lb of torque, back the stud off exactly 2 revolutions and then tighten the lock nut.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:50 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
Old 03-18-2010, 04:30 AM
drivembig
Senior User
I went ahead and put a new servo in. I then broke loose the adjuster nut and adjusted it in to see how far it would go. I made over 3 turn in before I felt any resistance. Just before I got the truck it had some tranny work done, and the overdrive band was one of the things that was replaced. Maybe the band was to tight and I have some premature wear on the band causing it to be loose, or maybe the tranny shop didn't really adjust it correctly and left it that loose. I was able to achieve the 120 in/lbs, so I guess the band isn't broken.

I should have it back on the road tonight and I will see how it goes. Thanks for the help and advice.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:20 AM
drivembig
Senior User
Back on the road and still having the same problems. I have to lift off the throttle to get it to change into 2nd and no O/D. Is there any way to check the pressure to the O/D servo? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:47 PM
06silvercrew
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bet if you check codes, even know you have no light you will find a pressure control code.... Sounds like you have a solenoid pack problem. BUT like you said your O/D band mighe be burned up from being too tight along with the drum. I guess it depends on how much money your willing to throw at this thing without pulling it out and down and see whats up.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:39 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
Old 03-21-2010, 05:03 AM
drivembig
Senior User
I've got a guy at a local tranny shop who I'm going to let hook this thing(on Monday) up to his computer. He can monitor all pressures from each solenoid and maybe that will determine my next course of action. Thanks for all the help.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:52 PM
andino77
New User
I have the same problem

I have a Ford, Explorer 2002 and am experiencing the same problem. If you fix the problem post the solution. Thanks.

Originally Posted by drivembig
I have posted this in several forums, but no help et. Anyone with inp ut on this problem would be appreciated.

OK, I have read over and over about my problem. I have posted in a couple of forums, but I will go over my problem again.

I have a 2002 Explorer, 4.0V6, 5sp auto 5r55w tranny. The truck will not shift into 2nd gear without lifting on the throttle and it will not go into overdrive.

I haven't had a check engine light come on yet, but the O/D light did flash very rapidly one time.

I came to the conclusion after reading many forums that the overdrive servo bore was probably worn and I would have to sleeve it. So, I removed the exhaust and the tranny crossmember and removed the servo to check it out before I pulled the tranny. I found that there was already a sleeve in the bore. It looks to be a brass sleeve and not a steel sleeve. Is this correct?

So where am I at now????? I did notice that when I pushed the servo in, it felt like it kinda would stick and not want to pop back out. Does anyone know what the stock spring height should be?

Could the servo just be bad? I did notice some nicks in the rubber, but I could have done that myself trying to get it out. I haven't pulled the pan yet, I will tomorrow and check the band and see if it may be broken.

Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated......Thanks in advance.
<!-- / message -->

Old 07-02-2011, 10:34 AM
Slade Sable
Freshman User
Apparently Ford has been having all sorts of problems with the early 2000's transmissions on both the Explorers and the Mercury Mountaineers. I have the same problem in my Mercury.

2002 Mercury Mountaineer Transmission Failure | CarComplaints.com

Please go to the following website and file an official complaint with the Government with the hopes that they can force FORD to recall and fix the problems so we don't have to keep paying $3k to rebuild these transmissions: Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

Thanks.