Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

bypass fuel tank selector valve?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Dislexiq
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bypass fuel tank selector valve?

Is is possible to bypass or remove the ftsv? I will only be using my front tank, and not my rear tank at all. Someday way off in the future I may add a larger second tank in the rear, but until then, I really have no use for it. Suggestions?

Old 03-01-2010, 11:16 AM
Hamberger
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel Tank Selector Valve

No problem.

Just connect the feed and return to/from the engine to the feed and return to/from the Front tank. Two short fuel hoses and a few hose clamps should do the trick, only problem is you will have to cut all the connectors so putting the selector valve back later would be a pain to do. Maybe cut the lines a few inches away from the switch so you can splice them back together later.

There is very little pressure/vacuum on the return/feed lines (fuel pump is located at the engine). Keep your switch set to the front tank so your dash fuel gauge keeps working with the signal from the front tank.

Is your selector switch leaking? If not why not just leave everything and keep it set to the front tank?

Good luck,

Sebastian.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Dislexiq
Freshman User
ok, sounds easy enough. No, it's not leaking, I just have never had it switched to the rear tank and was trying to prevent any possible issues by doing so. Once I get everything situated, I will be the only one driving my truck, so just leaving things as they are and leaving the ftsv set to the front tank may be the smartest way to go. Thanks for the input

Old 03-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Hamberger
Fleet Mechanic
Don't switch it

I will be the only one driving my truck, so just leaving things as they are and leaving the ftsv set to the front tank may be the smartest way to go. Thanks for the input[/quote]

If you have not used the rear tank in a long time you could open up a mess of trouble if you did use the switch. It may get stuck when you try to switch it and then you got a real problem not being able to get it back.

Leaving things alone might be the best thing here.

I always switch my tanks frequently to prevent the switch from fouling/sticking. Done that on both my trucks for almost 20 years, never had a problem.

Seb...

Old 12-11-2014, 02:29 PM
86gary
New User
What does the fuel selector valve act like when it goes out? Does it allow air from the return to enter the intake? Does it make my fuel gauge not work correctly?

Old 12-11-2014, 02:43 PM
Hamberger
Fleet Mechanic
Fuel Selector Valve failure

Originally Posted by 86gary
What does the fuel selector valve act like when it goes out? Does it allow air from the return to enter the intake? Does it make my fuel gauge not work correctly?

I never had one fail so don't know what the symtoms might be.

My rear tank gauge has been acting up recently on my 91 F350. The needle starts to swing widly and show F as the tank goes below an 1/4 of a Tank. Eventually it goes to E The sending unit must be shorting out once it reaches the bottom of the tank. Front tank is ok so it has to be the sender unit in the tank. Oh well, a project for another day, I hate pulling tanks...

Seb....

Old 12-11-2014, 05:49 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 86gary
some fuel tank selector issues could cause symptoms like;
not switching tanks.
switching tanks but fuel gauge reading incorrect tank.
air intrusion/rough running.
no fuel gauge readings.
semi working - but fuel returns to opposite tank that you have selected.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:40 PM
86gary
New User
that sounds like it. I will swap it out with my parts truck and let y'all know if it works

Old 02-13-2019, 12:58 PM
Jason Cate
New User
Need help

I recently bought a 93 f350 7.3 idi. Selector switch wasn’t hooked up in cab. I hooked it up and flip the switch. Now the truck is stuck on rear tank only. Found out there was a hole in the tank so rear tank is shot however I can’t get truck to switch back to front tank and run. I want to bypass the selector valve but got to get the truck back to front tank. Suggestions?
Originally Posted by Hamberger
No problem.

Just connect the feed and return to/from the engine to the feed and return to/from the Front tank. Two short fuel hoses and a few hose clamps should do the trick, only problem is you will have to cut all the connectors so putting the selector valve back later would be a pain to do. Maybe cut the lines a few inches away from the switch so you can splice them back together later.

There is very little pressure/vacuum on the return/feed lines (fuel pump is located at the engine). Keep your switch set to the front tank so your dash fuel gauge keeps working with the signal from the front tank.

Is your selector switch leaking? If not why not just leave everything and keep it set to the front tank?

Good luck,

Sebastian.

Old 02-13-2019, 02:43 PM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Received 326 Likes on 281 Posts
You can always get rid of the electric tank selector valve. Check out this thread!

https://www.oilburners.net/threads/m...l-pumps.71152/

You can also buy a parts store replacement for the tank selector valve.

Amazon Amazon

Old 10-23-2020, 06:03 AM
imdignit1
New User
CHECK THE SENDING UNIT PICKUP

Old 06-30-2021, 11:25 AM
JWhenman
4wd Low
Switch sticking

Originally Posted by Hamberger
I will be the only one driving my truck, so just leaving things as they are and leaving the ftsv set to the front tank may be the smartest way to go. Thanks for the input

If you have not used the rear tank in a long time you could open up a mess of trouble if you did use the switch. It may get stuck when you try to switch it and then you got a real problem not being able to get it back.

Leaving things alone might be the best thing here.

I always switch my tanks frequently to prevent the switch from fouling/sticking. Done that on both my trucks for almost 20 years, never had a problem.

Seb...[/QUOTE]
Hi,
Is there a way to unstick the valve?

Old 06-30-2021, 02:58 PM
Perk85F250
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Never tried to unstick one. I suppose you could try tapping on it while another person flips the switch back and forth from front and rear tanks. Worth trying, but it would be difficult to know if it switched properly. The gauge may switch to the other tank without moving the valve to the other tank. Gauge may read one tank while fuel is pulled from the other.

Old 07-02-2021, 12:35 AM
Edward Michael
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love that we have to send guys to other forums!_)))000))))

With my tanks out therefore disconnected, the tank selector switch did not switch the tanks from front to rear while running (off a can).

dunno what that means

Old 07-09-2021, 11:04 AM
Charmalu
Fleet Mechanic

Received 200 Likes on 170 Posts

Quick Reply: bypass fuel tank selector valve?