Print Wikipost

How to Change A Tire

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 08:44 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to Change A Tire

No, this isn't one of those funny stories, though I'm sure it will get a few anecdotes from you all. What I was required to do for my BUS102 (Customer Service) class was to write a technical procedure. The very first thing I thought of was the oil change done by men and women... you know the one I'm talking about. But instead, I decided to write, from memory, the steps to changing a tire. I tried to inject a little humor (not too much, though) in it. I got 100% on it:

How to Change a Tire

By Stu37D

1. Call AAA

2. Wait.

OK, Just kidding. Seriously, being able to change a tire is something every driver should be able to do. Sometimes AAA is not available or may be delayed. This is a step-by-step guide to changing a tire:

1. Set the parking brake and ensure the car is in park or in 1st gear (manual transmissions).

2. Remove the jack from the car (every new car and every used car purchased from a dealer has a jack. If your car doesn't have one, GET ONE).

3. Remove the spare tire from the trunk and place it nearby (but out of the road).

4. Find the jackpoint under the car (this will be listed in the owner's manual- again, make sure you have an owner's manual before driving away from the dealer).

5. Raise the jack up enough to make good contact with the car (the car should raise slightly, that's when you know you have the jack seated properly).

6. Using your tire iron/ lug wrench, remove the hubcap, place it nearby and loosen the lug nuts but do not remove them.

7. Raise the car far enough so that the flat tire is off the ground.

8. Remove the lug nuts the rest of the way and place them inside the hubcap that you conveniently laid nearby. What? You don't have a hubcap? well then I suggest you put the lug nuts in your pocket, in the ashtray of the car, or in some type of container (those little buggers have a tendency to wander away if you don't cage them).

9. Pull the tire off, making sure you have control of the weight of it, and put it in the trunk.

10. Line the lug nut holes on the spare with the lugs on the axle and lift the spare tire into place. If you didn't raise the car enough to get the tire on (this happens all the time), raise the car a little more so the spare will slide onto the axle.

11. Hand tighten the lug nuts, tapered side toward the car, onto the lugs.

12. Using the tire iron, tighten the lug nuts about a half turn each. Do not torque them down at this time, you could accidentally pull the car off the jack!

13. Carefully (slowly) lower the car so that it is safely resting on the ground and remove the jack.

14. Again using the tire iron, tighten each of the lug nuts IN A STAR PATTERN. This applies torque to the lug nuts equally. Don't tighten them too much, you could break the lug off. About a quarter turn (maybe less) past the point you begin to strain should be enough.

15. Put your tools into the trunk and be on your way.

16.GET YOUR FLAT TIRE FIXED AND BACK ONTO THE CAR AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! Remember, you have no spare at this time, so delaying having the tire repaired or replaced could result in a real headache if you have another flat in the mean time.

A couple things to remember: if you lose a lugnut, don't worry too much about it. You'll be fine for a while (but get a replacement soon). If you lose all of the lugnuts for the tire (remember when I said they would escape if you didn't corral them?), simply take one off each of the other wheels and proceed to a service station to have them replaced. Also, I didn't mention that most jacks come with a tire tool/ lug wrench. These are useable, but I prefer the old fashioned 4-way lug wrench. They are easier and faster to use than the type normally provided and can be purchased at any auto parts store for only a few dollars.

Next Week:

How to Change Your Own Oil.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:57 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So, what if it's a RWD vehicle and a rear tire is flat, and you're on a slight incline?

Jason, heading out soon to change a tire for an elderly former neighbor...for the second time in two months...

Old 02-03-2010, 09:14 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Originally Posted by jroehl
So, what if it's a RWD vehicle and a rear tire is flat, and you're on a slight incline?

Jason, heading out soon to change a tire for an elderly former neighbor...for the second time in two months...
I realized that I left out a few things like chocking the wheels to prevent rolling, trying to stop on a flat surface, etc. I wanted to finish the paper in one sitting... and in one volume.lol.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:54 AM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
Moved from GNAC.

Good write up, Stu!

Old 02-03-2010, 04:09 PM
Holiver31
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Give 'er hell and get off of the incline.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:02 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,218 Likes on 801 Posts

Tell the dummy to call AAA!

Tim

Old 02-03-2010, 06:13 PM
wizzard351
Postmaster
i would never put the flat tire back in the truck UNTILL the spare is installed! id hate to see the car fall off the jack from a tire being thrown in the trunk

Old 02-04-2010, 05:53 AM
wiseguy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've always taken the flat tire and placed it under the rocker panel or frame rail. That way, if the car falls the tire and rim will keep the car from hitting the ground and you could still get the jack under the car and start all over again.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:46 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Ahh, the things we learn through experience:

I've always taken the flat tire and placed it under the rocker panel or frame rail. That way, if the car falls the tire and rim will keep the car from hitting the ground and you could still get the jack under the car and start all over again.
i would never put the flat tire back in the truck UNTILL the spare is installed! id hate to see the car fall off the jack from a tire being thrown in the trunk
I've had a car drop to the ground. I think I had to use 2 jacks to get the car back up. Fit the jack as far under the car as you can, then get the other jack a littke farther and so on...

Old 02-04-2010, 08:57 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
Tell the dummy to call AAA!

Tim
I won't necessarily dispute the "dummy" part, but she's a widow, and all her money is tied up in investments right now.

Unfortunately, getting the flat (blown/shredded) tire off was a pain. I don't know who did her tires last, but a bunch of the lug nuts were WAY overtightened. On the first tire I did for her over a month ago, one lug nut gave me trouble (using my 4-way), but I eventually got it. This is a 1/2-ton, full-size Chevy conversion van, so the lug nuts should be tightened to about 100 ft-lbs, I think. I can spin the lug nuts off my F250 (140 ft-lbs) with a 4-way, no problem. This time, there were 3 lug nuts that I just plain couldn't touch with the 4-way--I was starting to bend the 4-way. So, I had to run back home and get my compressor and impact wrench. Even at full force on the impact wrench (it's not an el-cheapo, either), it took more impacts than I would have expected to break them loose.

Anyway, she's got 2 new tires now (her sister loaned her the money).

Jason, now off to help an elderly gentleman in our church figure out why the steering wheel won't always turn left in his 10(?)-year old Impala.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:20 AM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
Good writeup, but I'll probably use AAA these days. I've changed tires on the side of the road, and I never enjoyed it. I also didn't enjoy the one in the parking lot ( New Year's Eve -- temp - 6F). I'm 63 now, and somebody else can do it.

Couple of additional points.

With many new vehicles.
- Figure out where they hide the jack ahead of time -- also decide if it's worth anything. Some are real crap
- Spare tire - my minivan has one that you crank down from between the fron seats. I probably should oil it up and try it out when it warms up because I bet that it's a b*tch. (Just in case I get stuck out of range of AAA)

Old 02-05-2010, 09:18 AM
Icefan71
Elder User
I wonder how many young kids who are new drivers can change a tire today? Its a great idea to teach the basics. And it doesn't hurt to read instruction on something even if you already know it. No jokes, good thread, stu.