North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:Benztechnc

Best Sleddin' in years

Old 01-31-2010, 12:45 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Best Sleddin' in years

Thought I'd repost here since you guys might be in the same boat. Not much traction in the other forum.

Go figure. We get maybe 1 snow event every other year and maybe a shot of ice once a winter. This big snowstorm grazed us to the north and we got maybe an inch. The airport reported 0.7 but lets call it an inch. I've lived on my street for 25 years and believe it or not this is the best sledding we have ever had. Several years ago we had 17 inches, 12 once or twice, and typically 4-6 when we get the stuff. But it is hard to believe that less than an inch has produced tremendous sledding conditions. It started Friday night with a very light dusting and picked up overnight. Saturday morning saw very fine sleet coat the top of what we had and all the while the temps keep dropping. The sun never really came out. Since it hit overnight no one was driving on it and the roads got a very thin but slick coating. Being a Saturday hardly anybody had to go anywhere so it did nor get rutted and slushed up. Temps continued to fall and the stuff is as hard as a rock. Now even if folks drive on it no ruts or tracks - real smooth. Best sledding conditions I can remember in many years and with hardly a trace of snow. Normally we get the real wet, damp snow and no sooner than it quits snowing and the sun comes out it is melting. It usually doesn't get a chance to get this hard. What a blast for even an old goat like me.