1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

adjusting front air susp on navi

Old 01-24-2010, 09:25 PM
87wreckerman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
adjusting front air susp on navi

from what i been reading there is a way to adjust the rear air susp by a inch or two in the back of the expy/navi with air susp, is there anyway to adjust the fronts? basically i want to lower the truck but just about a inch or 2 at most, wandering if its possible to adjust the air susp to achieve this?

Old 01-24-2010, 10:30 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See if this helps, I'll look for info on the rears next.

Front Ride Height Resetting — Clear B2140 DTC

Turn the ignition key OFF and turn it back to RUN; exit the vehicle, close all doors and allow the system to vent the vehicle down to kneel height (approximately 30 seconds).
Connect scan tool to the data link connector (DLC).
Select the proper vehicle year, model and engine type.
Select 4WAS-AIR SUSP/EVO (4x2 and 4x4) module.
Select "Parameter Reset Command (Clear Ride Height) under Active Command Modes" menu, trigger through the warning messages and reset (trigger from OFF to ON):
scan tool version 10.0 — "Front" and "Rear."
scan tool version 11.0+ — "Front CLR."
Back out the torsion bar adjustment bolt (approximately 40 mm from the bolt head to the bottom surface of the torsion bar adjuster).
Deflate the front air shocks by using the scan tool "Vent Front" command in "Air Suspension Control" menu (should take about 30 seconds), and jounce the front of the vehicle to fully lower the front of the vehicle.
Adjust and measure the vehicle ride height; refer to Section 204-01B .
NOTE: Do not save rear ride heights. The air suspension control module has precalibrated values already stored. Refer to Rear Ride Height Mechanical Resetting.

Select the "Save Calibration Values (Store Ride Height)" scan tool command to calibrate the air suspension control module. Trigger through the warning message(s) and save "FRONT" (trigger from OFF to ON).

Rear Ride Height Mechanical Resetting

Turn the ignition key ON.
Connect scan tool to the data link connector (DLC).
Select the proper vehicle year, model and engine type.
Select 4WAS-AIR SUSP/EVO (4x2 and 4x4) module.
Measure vehicle rear height (driver side) from the bottom of the frame to the rear jounce bumper bolt rear side of head base.

Using scan tool, adjust rear height to 146.8 ± 2 mm by moving the rear of the vehicle down using the active command ("VENT_REAR") or by moving the rear of the vehicle up ("LIFT_REAR") in PID RHGTSEN.
Monitor the rear height sensor voltage on the right side of the scan tool screen.
Loosen the ball stud nut on the rear air suspension height sensor bracket and adjust it by moving it with the air suspension height sensor up or down until the voltage is 2.66 ± 0.02 volt.
Tighten the ball stud nut.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:33 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Here's the info on the rears, good luck with it.

Rear Ride Height Electronic Resetting
  1. Connect scan tool to the data link connector (DLC).
  1. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position.
  1. Select the proper vehicle year, model and engine type.
  1. Select 4WAS-AIR SUSP/EVO (4x2 and 4x4) module.
  1. Select the active commands menu "Save Calibration (Store Ride Height)." Trigger through the warning message.
  1. Monitor the RHGTSEN PID.
  1. NOTE: Do not press the trigger after selecting REAR.
    Select REAR.
  1. NOTE: Do not disconnect the rear height sensor from the upper ball stud.
    Disconnect the rear height sensor from the lower ball stud.
    1. Slowly compress/extend the rear height sensor until the rear height sensor voltage is 2.66 ± 0.02 volts.
    1. Press the trigger to save rear ride height settings (turn from OFF to ON); this will calibrate the air suspension control module.
    1. Perform the Rear Ride Height Mechanical Resetting. If the rear height mechanical resetting has been performed, clear DTCs and run On-Demand Self-Test.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:58 PM
    87wreckerman
    Senior User
    nice...thanks! now i ran into a diff problem with the air susp today... jacked the front up to change the brake pads.... now the check susp lite is on and the compressor wont kick on?? i checked the fuse and disconnected the battery for about 15mins, still nothing? any thoughts on what could be going on?? when idling it sounds like i can hear the clicks from the solenoids up front almost, but nothing with the compressor.... before i jacked it up i never had one issue with the air susp?

Old 01-25-2010, 10:05 PM
    fordtech08
    Posting Guru
    Received 1 Like on 1 Post
    did you try turning the switch off then back on?

Old 01-25-2010, 10:45 PM
    Moto Mel
    Postmaster
    Is the s truck up or down?

Old 01-26-2010, 06:16 AM
    87wreckerman
    Senior User
    i did try turning it off then back on and still nothing, the back of the truck is completely down...

Old 01-26-2010, 07:19 AM
    fordtech08
    Posting Guru
    Received 1 Like on 1 Post
    turn the truck on, with the key on then open and close the drivers door, that should help, you might also have to put the truck in gear

Old 01-26-2010, 05:25 PM
    pdqford
    Logistics Pro
    Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
    Originally Posted by 87wreckerman
    nice...thanks! now i ran into a diff problem with the air susp today... jacked the front up to change the brake pads.... now the check susp lite is on and the compressor wont kick on?
    Uh-oh! Doesn't your owners manual say to shut the LLS off before jacking up the vehicle?

(BTW, what year Navi(?) are we working with here?)

I'd check the fancy schmancy relay hidden up under the right front fender near the headlight. Pull it off and check it out with a battery for power and a test light to see if its pulling in.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:59 PM
    87wreckerman
    Senior User
    well i started it the next morning, and its been working ever since... i dunno. and yeah i did forget to shut the switch off when i jacked it up so i wont be doing that again,loL!

Old 05-31-2018, 01:12 PM
    omegalita
    Swissnavigator

Originally Posted by Moto Mel
    Here's the info on the rears, good luck with it.

Rear Ride Height Electronic Resetting
    1. Connect scan tool to the data link connector (DLC)....
    Wich scan tool is needed for that?

Old 05-31-2018, 08:18 PM
    ShelbyHauler
    Laughing Gas
    Received 491 Likes on 146 Posts
    You all may hate me for this, but lacking the proper scan tool for my 04 Navigator, I elongated the mounting bolt holes on the front height sensors and then turned them till the front was 1.5" lower on each side.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:08 PM
    jlourinha
    New User
    About lowering 04 navi

Originally Posted by ShelbyHauler
    You all may hate me for this, but lacking the proper scan tool for my 04 Navigator, I elongated the mounting bolt holes on the front height sensors and then turned them till the front was 1.5" lower on each side.
    Hi, how's it going, in really new to the navigator thing, but I have experience in raising and lowering trucks, but I picked up an 04 navigator cheap with blown suspension, but found someone selling a complete set of air shocks for it, but I definitely want to lower the truck a little , is there any way to modify the stock suspension to put airbags in, but I would like to know more about how u elongated the holes to lower ur truck and if u have any pictures of finished product or the process on how to do it I would b greatly appreciative, thanks for your time

Old 06-21-2018, 05:18 PM
    ShelbyHauler
    Laughing Gas
    Received 491 Likes on 146 Posts
    Originally Posted by jlourinha
    Hi, how's it going, in really new to the navigator thing, but I have experience in raising and lowering trucks, but I picked up an 04 navigator cheap with blown suspension, but found someone selling a complete set of air shocks for it, but I definitely want to lower the truck a little , is there any way to modify the stock suspension to put airbags in, but I would like to know more about how u elongated the holes to lower ur truck and if u have any pictures of finished product or the process on how to do it I would b greatly appreciative, thanks for your time
    Not sure what you mean by "to put airbags in" as this mod is for use with the factory airbag setup. I am still using the computer to control the ride height, I have just moved the sensor so the computer thinks the bag has too much air in it and it lets some out, thus lowering the selected bag. I did this to both front sensors and measured from the ground to the cross member where the lower "A" arm meets so as to level the vehicle side to side. This affects both the kneeling height and the lifted ride height. Photos are of the passenger side. The sensor is rotated counterclockwise in the elongated mounting holes. The driver's side would rotate clockwise after you elongate the mounting holes. I did not modify the rear sensor (there is only 1) as it has a different mounting bracket and I was using the Nav to tow a 24" 8k # trailer.

Old 09-24-2022, 11:22 PM
    Onexdeep
    1st Gear
    Originally Posted by 87wreckerman
    i did try turning it off then back on and still nothing, the back of the truck is completely down...
    ​​​​​​Forscan bro download forscan hook the Navi up to. The computer air it up than unplug the power to the solenoids on each wheel and your all set if you can't hook it to the computer cut the airline at the compressor than stick a valve stem in the line and air it up at the gas station than unplug the solenoids and your gravy