1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Replacing throwout bearing in a 4 cyl...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 09:35 AM
staysbroken
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing throwout bearing in a 4 cyl...

Hey guys, I'm about to finally tackle the whining throwout bearing in my 97 Ranger. Got a couple questions before I get started tomorrow...

Is this something I need to have a service manual on hand for? I replaced the clutch (more than once ) in the Mustang I had as a teenager several years ago, but that was a cable clutch and this is hydraulic. Is there anything I won't be able to figure out on my own fairly easily? I won't be anywhere near an internet connection to Google information or search FTE if/when I need it.

Since I'm going to be draining the transmission fluid anyway (ATF, correct?) when I drop the tranny, would it be worth it to go ahead and fill it back up with synthetic? How much fluid does it take? It doesn't grind at all now, but it is a little tough shifting at first when it's cold out. It's got 135k on it now, and I plan on putting at least another 100k on it...

Thanks!

Old 01-22-2010, 01:18 PM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by staysbroken
Hey guys, I'm about to finally tackle the whining throwout bearing in my 97 Ranger. Got a couple questions before I get started tomorrow...

Is this something I need to have a service manual on hand for? I replaced the clutch (more than once ) in the Mustang I had as a teenager several years ago, but that was a cable clutch and this is hydraulic. Is there anything I won't be able to figure out on my own fairly easily? I won't be anywhere near an internet connection to Google information or search FTE if/when I need it.

Since I'm going to be draining the transmission fluid anyway (ATF, correct?) when I drop the tranny, would it be worth it to go ahead and fill it back up with synthetic? How much fluid does it take? It doesn't grind at all now, but it is a little tough shifting at first when it's cold out. It's got 135k on it now, and I plan on putting at least another 100k on it...

Thanks!
I will give you my suggestions. I am sure you will get a lot of opioions on this thread. The slave cylinders on these truck are a weak point. I would suggest replacing the slave cylinder. I have heard raybestos are pretty good. I am not positive but i believe the release bearings comes with most slaves. You might also want to consider replacing the clutch and pressure plate while the tranny is out. the originals are LUK they are pretty good clutchs . Finally while you are doing all the work why not just remove and replace the the pilot bearing....... from what i have read Mercon seems to be the suggested fluid. also replace the plugs at the top by the shifter.......

you should get the tool that helps remove the hydralic line from the slave.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:49 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Very, very good advice from powersmoked.
I would suggest that you go to autozone.com and register (free) with the Repair Section where you will get access to alldata and a decent blow by blow description of what`s involved. May even be able to print it out for reference.
Good luck.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:37 PM
Mudhorse
New User
Hey all - I'm ready to replace the throw out bearing / clutch release bearing and my manual is terrible. It doesn't really tell me how to get the dang thing off. Can someone lend a hand here? Thanks.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:51 PM
danielwd
Junior User
Originally Posted by Mudhorse
Hey all - I'm ready to replace the throw out bearing / clutch release bearing and my manual is terrible. It doesn't really tell me how to get the dang thing off. Can someone lend a hand here? Thanks.
The throwout bearing comes preassembled as part of the new slave cylinder. You need to replace the complete unit. I think the new slave cylinder/throw out bearing unit cost me about $50 from autozone.

I would hope that you are going to go ahead and change out your whole clutch unit while your at it. If you have the tranny off, you'd be crazy not to. Also, make sure to have the flywheel resurfaced and replace the rear oil seal if at all possible. I would also replace the pilot bearing which was the worst part for me. I couldn't make me a tool good enough to get the dang thing out so I had to rent a puller from Autozone to get the job done. The puller even sucked as it would'nt fit into the pilot bearing so I had to cut out a couple of holes out of the pilot bearing to fit the puller in.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:03 PM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Mudhorse
if you drop the tranny you at a minumum should change the slave along with the throwout bearing
Originally Posted by danielwd
The throwout bearing comes preassembled as part of the new slave cylinder. You need to replace the complete unit. I think the new slave cylinder/throw out bearing unit cost me about $50 from autozone.

I would hope that you are going to go ahead and change out your whole clutch unit while your at it. If you have the tranny off, you'd be crazy not to. Also, make sure to have the flywheel resurfaced and replace the rear oil seal if at all possible. I would also replace the pilot bearing which was the worst part for me. I couldn't make me a tool good enough to get the dang thing out so I had to rent a puller from Autozone to get the job done. The puller even sucked as it would'nt fit into the pilot bearing so I had to cut out a couple of holes out of the pilot bearing to fit the puller in.
+1......

Old 01-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Mudhorse
New User
Thanks for the posts guys. I'm under the Ford to replace the clutch plate, doing the throw out bearing while I'm there...

Since my post I got the bearing off by using a Google search. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything on Ford-Trucks.com right away.

Also Haines is a garbage manual so don't buy one if you are looking for a manual!!!

Danielwd - good looking out, thanks for the pointers on rental tools.

Powersmoked - you post a lot, I appreciate your help bud.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:40 PM
xxshine
Senior User
Consider going with an aftermarket clutch like Centerforce. That clutch is 1/2 inch larger in diameter than stock, so more clutch is hitting flywheel.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:53 PM
TJ Stewart
New User
Exactly how to diagnose if its the throw out bearing?

My 5 speed 97 ranger is making this grinding kind of noise when I am at a light in gear with the clutch in....it seems to go away if I put her in neutral and let the clutch out at the light......then I start off normally in 2nd gear and I am ok, but someone mentioned it might be my throw out bearing? Any other suggestions? There isn't a lot of play in the clutch, so someone said my clutch is probably ok, what else could this be? I had the tranny fluid changed. thanks guys, tami

Old 06-02-2014, 06:37 AM
Dan Robertson
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also replaced the pilot bearing in the crankshaft as that was what failed in my 98 Ranger. The bearing piled up and caused the input shaft to bind. I could have borrowed the bearing puller from the local Car Quest Store but for what it cost ($50.00) I bought it instead.