Rust Hole In Roof at Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 09:11 AM
Scottay
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rust Hole In Roof at Windshield

2001 F350SD truck in the body shop for some rust repair. Had flaking rust on the roof across the entire top edge of the windshield. The shop cleaned it up and found a hole at the top drivers side corner of the windshield, roughly 1.5" L x .75" W. He is removing the glass to determine the condition of the glass lip/flange at the top of the opening. If the lip/flange is shot he has recomended replacement of the entire roof panel. If it is OK he said he could fabricate a piece to repair the hole. I intend on keeping this truck for a few more years so I want he repair to last. Should I just have the roof skin replaced and not screw with a hole repair? I trust the body shop, so it is not a question of wether they will do a half a** job. Just looking for suggestions before I make my decision. Thanks.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:38 AM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
if it's just a spot, then repair the spot (or even a couple)- its all a cost/benefit gain analysis. Nothing wrong with a repair as long as it is done correctly.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:45 PM
e-tek
Elder User
If it was my truck, I'd ram it's 8 YEAR OLD rusted body right through the freakin dealerships window!!

Seriously though, take it to the service department at your local Ford and demand they fix it - under warranty. They should have had AT least an 8 year warranty against rust PERFORATION. Are you the first owner? It's best if you are.
If the service writer balks - go to the manager - then say you want to speak to the GD owner.
You may get a deal on the work (pro-rated warranty) at the very least.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:13 AM
Scottay
Senior User
I am the second owner, and the truck spent alot of time on the salty beach's of the outer cape (MA). Plus I live in New England so salt on the roads is a major problem with cars up here. So the problem is somewhat self inflicted.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:53 PM
Scottay
Senior User
The windshield was removed Friday, and the lip was in excellent condition. So a patch was welded in, and the roof has already been primed. Should have it back in another day or two.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:32 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SALT-AIR EATS THE TOP-HALF OF A VEHICLE....OHIO elements eat everything.....LOL

Old 02-03-2010, 12:57 PM
Scottay
Senior User
Very amusing. The rot at the roof was caused by leaking cab-roof light(s). The water settled in the corner and rotted it from the inside out. The bottom rear conrners of the cab rotted thru from the elements, and salt collection behind the panel.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:42 PM
e-tek
Elder User
Originally Posted by Scottay
Very amusing. The rot at the roof was caused by leaking cab-roof light(s). The water settled in the corner and rotted it from the inside out. The bottom rear conrners of the cab rotted thru from the elements, and salt collection behind the panel.
Therefore I stand by my original statement. Why where the cab lights leaking? Not from salty air I'll bet. this is an install/design or rust-inhibitor issue. Warranty for me.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:29 AM
Scottay
Senior User
I do not know why the roof lights leaked. I do not know how the original owner cared for the vehicle. I do agree that a salt environment does not pick and choose where it will attack a vehicle, even if that had anything to do with it at this stage. I could not find any info in the warranty data that was supplied with the truck when I purchased it (all of which was in tact and in the glove box) and I found no supporting data that Ford would cover this because of the vehicles age. If someone does have supporting documents then feel free to share, and perhaps I will move forward and contact Ford. I am confident, from previous arguments with Ford customer service on other issues that Ford will tell me to go pound sand when I try to argue rust perforation on a second hand 9 year old, New England vehicle. Is it worth the frustration, stress, and time to fight, for what I think was a small repair price tag….that depends on the individual. I was not asking for, nor do I want to debate the issue.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Scottay
Senior User
Fords 2001 SD Truck Warranty (Warranty Guide 4TH Printing):

"Corrosion Coverage
Under your New Vehicle Limited Warranty, Corrosion Coverage begins at the
warranty start date and covers body sheet metal panels against corrosion
due to a defect in factory-supplied materials or workmanship. Corrosion
coverage (which lasts for 5 years, regardless of miles driven) only applies if the corrosion causes perforation (holes) in body sheet metal panels.

If corrosion does not cause perforation (holes), and is not the result of
usage and/or environmental conditions, paint damage is covered under
the terms of the Bumper to Bumper Warranty (3 years or 36,000 miles,
whichever occurs first).

For damage caused by airborne material (environmental fallout) - where
there is no factory-related defect involved and therefore no warranty -
our policy is to cover paint damage due to airborne material for
12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first."

So how could I possibly go after Ford?