Ontario Chapter Join Chapter>, Leader: loudfords

Recommendations??

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 09:24 AM
fp_5
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Recommendations??

Over the holidays I got the I6 up on the engine stand and tore into it. Ya gotta like an engine with 7 main bearings on the crank!I ran out of time so I haven't dropped the pistons out yet or looked at the rod bearings but from what I've seen so far things don't look too bad. It was my intention to strip the block and bring it in to be hot tanked, decked and have the clearances checked out. Considering that I haven't had time to do anything more I may just bring the whole thing in as is along with the head and let a machine shop do most of the assembly/disassembly. Either way I need a machine shop. There are a couple in town but I'd thought I'd throw out a call to see if anyone can make a recommendation. Preferably a shop familiar with the Ford inline 6. I plan to do a mild build with the reliablity, performance and mileage in mind. Some head work will be needed, an aluminum intake, header , RV cam, maybe some flat top pistons. These six's are great little motors as is but if you know how to get them flowing better the investment brings great returns. I have some ideas but I'm no engine builder. I'm not afraid to assemble things but need some sound advice and quality work on the block and head.So, let me know if you've had a good experience with any rebuilders in the GTA.Frank

Old 01-21-2010, 06:57 PM
Red Ford Truck
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This guy did some 6.5 diesel heads for a friend of mine.

Steffen Engine Machine Co Ltd
72 Richmond Street West,
Oshawa, ON L1G 1E1
905-728-8916

His pricing for the raw heads was as good as the internet USA price and his machining and build of the heads was very nice indeed.

Most important thing about him is he listened to what my pal wanted and then worked with him on his choices to get there.

It was our first diesel overhaul and he was a barrel of information, my friend also bought all the other engine parts from him required to complete the job.
The 6.5 GMC diesel does not have a stellar reputation but this fellow gave us some great advice.

Even if you don't pick him he's a great source of information and a heck of a nice guy to chat with.

I've heard good things about Terrys too but have no personal experience with that particular engine rebuilder.