Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do it yourself Bedliner

Old 01-18-2010, 12:28 PM
RLTotten
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do it yourself Bedliner

Just wanted to say that I purchased a Herculiner Bedliner kit at AutoZone for less than $90 ... I followed the instructions and the results were great. My bedliner looks like one of those expensive spray in liners at a fraction of the cost. My son and stepson both want me to reline their trucks with the Herculiner.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:35 AM
tx fisherman
New User
what size bed do you have? cause we where lookin to do the same thing, and was wondering if just the kit covered your whole bed?

Old 02-15-2010, 10:19 AM
RLTotten
New User
98 Ford F-250 with a 6 1/2 Foot bed and it covered my tailgate as well. Mask those areas that you don't want covered, especially the tailgate sides ...

Old 02-19-2010, 07:47 PM
tstone712
Junior User
Originally Posted by RLTotten
98 Ford F-250 with a 6 1/2 Foot bed and it covered my tailgate as well. Mask those areas that you don't want covered, especially the tailgate sides ...

i have used the same product although it does look awesome but the problem is its longevity, it dosent hold up so well
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 02-20-2010, 07:31 PM
danorules
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have herculiner waiting to install when warmer weather comes, however all of the reviews and research I did on this said to prep like it is a new paint job. don't just rough up the paint with the scratch pad that is included. everyone said to sand the bed,at least past the clear coat, then rinse and rub down with acetone , then apply the liner. read the reviews on jc whitney under the herculiner section. I dont know if it helps, but it made sense and I am going to do it that way. a little extra effort up front may pay off in the long run.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:39 AM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's always in the prep. Only one major problem with the Herculiner. It will fade in just a couple months exposed to sunlight unless coated with their UV inhibitor.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Drover181
Freshman User
Originally Posted by danorules
I have herculiner waiting to install when warmer weather comes, however all of the reviews and research I did on this said to prep like it is a new paint job. don't just rough up the paint with the scratch pad that is included. everyone said to sand the bed,at least past the clear coat, then rinse and rub down with acetone , then apply the liner. read the reviews on jc whitney under the herculiner section. I dont know if it helps, but it made sense and I am going to do it that way. a little extra effort up front may pay off in the long run.
Did you ever complete this?? if so how did it turn out?

Old 04-19-2010, 07:09 PM
danorules
Postmaster
I installed about 3 weeks ago, but forgot to go back to this thread. the herculiner worked out great. but it is much more work and time than what the box would lead you to believe. I worked on the truck all day saturday and let it dry overnight. i hand sanded the bed well past the clearcoat and then wiped twice with rags and xylol. all of the bends and grooves in the bed made it impossible to use my sander,drill w/ wire wheel, or grinder, so I did it by hand and it came out good. then I laid down the first coat according to the box and let dry. the box said 1-4 hours. mine took closer to 7 hours on a 70 degree day. then i laid down the second coat and let it dry overnight. in the morning i peeled all of the tape and plastic. reattached the tail gate, and i could drive again. i let the bed cure for a week and since then i have been testing the liner. 4 loads of soil, 6 loads of mulch, 5 runs to the dump,a couple of trips to home depot for lumber and gardening and a new washer and dryer. not one scratch!. the liner took all the abuse and i didnt baby it at all. 100% recomendation onthis product! however if your bed is bigger than the 5.5 box I would buy the extra quart

Old 04-19-2010, 07:16 PM
Drover181
Freshman User
Thanks for the advice! I got the 06 Harley and its got the rubber mat which is great but wheel wells got some scratches and so does the tail gate. Looks nasty and really didn't want to put a plastic liner in there.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:20 PM
danorules
Postmaster
i wouldnt do the plastic drop in liner. that is what i just took out. it rubbed the paint down to bare metal in a few spots and then they started rusting.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:23 PM
Drover181
Freshman User
I'm gonna try the do it yourself liner, well once the whether warms up enough to do it. Will post results after i do.

Any chance you have a picture of yours?

Old 04-21-2010, 10:15 AM
danorules
Postmaster
here are some pics. you can see the run on the right side of the bed where the tape peeled a little. but after saving $400 verses the rhino liner I am ok with a run in the liner

Old 04-21-2010, 10:18 AM
danorules
Postmaster
not the best pic but you get the idea. also what looks like paint coming through or thin spots is actually sheetrock dust and demo debris. good luck with yours!

Old 04-22-2010, 08:00 AM
Thistle3595
Senior User
From the pic it looks like a nice job and it sure is a lot less expensive than having it done. I'm sure it will do you a fine job although I'm wondering if anyone has tried the Monstaliner yet and if so are you happy with the results/how long have you had it in? We did a brush truck for the fire department with Herculiner a couple of years ago and it did not stand up to the abuse we dish out, ie. sharp objects, all types of fuel spilled on it, etc. I think for normal use it would fair just fine but not for the fire service.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:55 PM
sdg0080
Senior User
i have that herculiner in my truck, it looked great to start with. not so much now. its faded pitted and pealing. i had an engine sitting on a stand in the bed to head to the scrap yard the oil that leaked caused the liner to peal off where the oil was. im not happy with it at all. i was at first i loved it....now, yeah now i have to peal it all off and put something else down. i wish you luck hope it holds up

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do it yourself Bedliner