Looking To Do Some Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Chep
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking To Do Some Upgrades

Hi All!

I live in the lower mainland and I have a 94 F250 powerstroke. I am looking for a local retailer/shop to purchase some upgrades. Basically looking for a good shop/retailer to hook up with.

Firstly I am looking to get a chip/tune. I have read about Tony Wildman tunes and I am curious if there is anyone locally who carries these or is a distributor etc. Does anyone have a tune by Tony up here? What has been your experience? If there are other chips/tunes people have used or could recommend I would be interested in hearing about your experiences too.

I am also looking for a 3" DP. Already done the cold air intake and catalytic delete. I may look to do a turbo and injectors down the road.

Thanks for your help.

Rich

Old 01-13-2010, 03:53 AM
Zip
FTE Legend
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts
Wow you have been here for a while and not even a chapter member.

I'm a 6.0 guy myself so can't be of much help.

These guys are from Abbotsford.

BD Power - The Leaders in Diesel Performance

Old 01-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Chep
Mountain Pass
Yeah I didn't realize up until you mentioned it just how long I'd been a member. I've read many topics here but my knowledge is limited so I haven't offered any input. I had a beautiful 94 F350 CC with a 460 and I never really had a desire to do any upgrades so my visits to this site were infrequent the last 3 yrs. I bought the diesel a year or so ago and recently purchased a larger trailer, I need to do some upgrades, so naturally this is the site to hang out on and ask some questions. So what does the regional chapter entail? Do you have to have so many posts etc before you join or does just being a BC'r get me in?

Zip, have you used BD Power and do you find them to be professional in your dealings? Are their prices fair and do they stand behind their products? Do they have a good selection. I have visited their website but you can only get so much from a website.

Thanks for the reponse.

Rich

Old 01-13-2010, 12:26 PM
BCHauler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't have any experience with them what so ever, but the Banks products seem to be common upgrades for the 7.3

Old 01-13-2010, 06:28 PM
mojoman
Senior User
I lurk here...post once in awhile...I have the same engine you have...I've researched the crap outta these rigs....my take is TW is the way to go...not from experience...but via others reports online here and other diesel forums...Banks has a poor rep...I have the phone # to a custom diesel shop in the LML... my old boss scooped a complete turbo back from them...bolted right up....will pm it to ya when I dig it up...good luck with your PMS!!!

hmmm...I can't PM you...try 604-572-9700 ask for Todd
mojo

Old 01-13-2010, 06:35 PM
Zip
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by Chep
Yeah I didn't realize up until you mentioned it just how long I'd been a member. I've read many topics here but my knowledge is limited so I haven't offered any input. I had a beautiful 94 F350 CC with a 460 and I never really had a desire to do any upgrades so my visits to this site were infrequent the last 3 yrs. I bought the diesel a year or so ago and recently purchased a larger trailer, I need to do some upgrades, so naturally this is the site to hang out on and ask some questions. So what does the regional chapter entail? Do you have to have so many posts etc before you join or does just being a BC'r get me in?

Zip, have you used BD Power and do you find them to be professional in your dealings? Are their prices fair and do they stand behind their products? Do they have a good selection. I have visited their website but you can only get so much from a website.

Thanks for the reponse.

Rich
I have never used BD Power before. It was just a local shop that popped into my head.

Nothing special needed to join the chapter. Being from BC is all you need. Just click on the link in my sig.

If you want to bs a little stop in here. This is where we basically shoot the ................

Jan BS THREAD.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:37 PM
Flying_Dutchman
Posting Guru
Jazzy Diesel Performance is in Abbotsford on Peardonville. Myself and my brother have experience with them and they are good. BD is good too, they are the more well known shop because of their annual Dyno Day.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:14 AM
Chep
Mountain Pass
So I gave BD Power a call and was referred to a company called Burnhausen in Langley. They are a BD distributor and a little closer to my neck of the woods. They are recommending to put an SCT Chip, Turbo wicket wheel, 3" DP and a 4" DP back with a better flowing muffler with installation the whole lot will be around $1600. The only thing I'm not sure about, although I do understand the theory behind it, is the wicket wheel. I gues this new one is designed to fit into the original housing but due to the design, possibly the angle or number of wings, it is supposed to decrease the turbo lag. It's a fairly inexpensive upgrade, less the labout to install, so I figure I'll give it a go. Unless someone here has done this mod and found it not to be worth it. Thanks to all who responded to this thread and I'll let you know how things worked out once I get it done.

Rich

Old 01-19-2010, 01:51 PM
Zip
FTE Legend
The SCT is pretty popular with a lot of the members of the sight. Probably because you can get custom tunes. The wicket wheel. I always thought it was a wicked wheel. It must be designed to push more air. As for the exhaust I don't know much about that. Mine I just cut out the cat and muffler and put in a straight pipe.

Yes please let us know how much of a difference it makes.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:10 AM
Lstanley
Junior User
Another thing to do would be upgrading the intake and getting a good set of gauges to monitor your engine better Ex. Trans. Temp., Boost and Pyrometer gauges.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:50 AM
Chep
Mountain Pass
Yeah the truck already has the 6637 upgrade, single mass clutch and a pyro. Good idea about the boost guage. I was kind of considering doing all new guages as the ones I have are in a location I don't like. Thinking about an A pillar set. With these additional upgrades the truck should haul pretty good.

Rich

Old 01-20-2010, 01:30 PM
Zip
FTE Legend
When you get some gauges make sure you get some good ones. Isspro and Autometer are pretty popular with guys around here.

Here is my setup.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Chep
Mountain Pass
So I just had a new 3"Dp and 4" MBRP exhaust and an SCT Chip installed by Burnhausen Specialty Automotive in langley a little over a week ago. Also had them put a new pyro and boost guage in my A-pillar. Towed a buddies 30ft trailer up to Savonna via the Fraser Canyon on Good Firday and I have to say the truck pulled and worked great. Motor's breathing really well and only hit about 1200F on a couple of long hills and even then only for a short period of time. Slowest I got was up Jackass Hill and that was 80Kmh in 3rd gear pulling 3200RPM. I was thinkiing about adding a gear vendors overdrive but after this trip I really don't think it will be necessary. I was getting around 13mpg hand calculated while towing and I haven't calculated the trip home empty yet but I have definitely used less fuel than normally. Best of all I am so happy with the trucks performance that I am no longer looking at buying a new truck anymore. Truck now goes in for an upgrade stereo, blue tooth, and nav system. Figure I'll spend the taxes I would have spent on a new truck on this one!

Old 04-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Zip
FTE Legend
It can really put a smile on your face can't it. Can't beat a little money spent on the right things.