Fog/High Beam Mod Instructions - Anti-BrightBox Mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 08:39 PM
sflem849
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog/High Beam Mod Instructions - Anti-BrightBox Mod

The Goal
For fog lamps to remain on when high beams are on.
The fog lamps do an excellent job of lighting up the dead spot in front of the truck. They also allow you to see a few more deer in the ditch before they run in front of the truck and you go This was the first mod I did to my truck over four years ago and I love it. I was just about to pull the trigger on the BrightBox when I tried this mod first. I got over the BrightBox urge after doing this mod. It is free, it is easy, and it works!

A Quick Disclaimer
This mod isn't really legal. In most states you can't have four beams on with your high beams. With that said, you will dim your lights whenever you go past a car so your fog lights will come right back on with your low beams anyhow. If you don't dim your lights for passing cars you deserve a ticket!
Mod is for my 01 F-250. When it is done on a half ton different wires are used. Maybe it is different on Excursions or 6.0's, but I doubt it.
If you start your truck on fire don't call me

Materials
1 - Medium Flat Screwdriver
1 - Pliers
2 - Scotch Lock Connectors
1 - Small Wire

The Mod
1 - Pop the headlight switch panel out by applying gentle pressure with the flat screwdriver on one of the pry spots.

2 - Place one Scotch Lock Connector on the WHITE WIRE WITH BLACK TRACER and crimp the connector.

3 - Cut the wire to a reasonable length.

4 - Crimp the second Scotch Lock Connector on the BROWN WIRE.

5 - Reinsert headlight switch panel with gentle pressure and you are done!

I only took one picture of the mod because it is that easy to do! You can see the two Scotch Lock Connectors with the white wire between them on the left. (The one on the right taps into power for my gauges.)

Last edited by sflem849; 01-03-2010 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Stupid Pictures!
Old 01-03-2010, 09:03 PM
firemaster
Elder User
Pretty crafty, I like this. I'm doing it tommorow. Thanks!

Old 01-03-2010, 09:13 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by sflem849
The Goal
The fog lamps do an excellent job of lighting up the dead spot in front of the truck. They also allow you to see a few more deer in the ditch before they run in front of the truck and you go This was the first mod I did to my truck over four years ago and I love it. I was just about to pull the trigger on the BrightBox when I tried this mod first. I got over the BrightBox urge after doing this mod. It is free, it is easy, and it works!

A Quick Disclaimer
This mod isn't really legal. In most states you can't have four beams on with your high beams. With that said, you will dim your lights whenever you go past a car so your fog lights will come right back on with your low beams anyhow. If you don't dim your lights for passing cars you deserve a ticket!
Mod is for my 01 F-250. When it is done on a half ton different wires are used. Maybe it is different on Excursions or 6.0's, but I doubt it.

Materials
1 - Pliers
1 - Small Wire

The Mod
1 - Pop the headlight switch panel out by applying gentle pressure with the flat screwdriver on one of the pry spots.

2 - Place one Scotch Lock Connector on the WHITE WIRE WITH BLACK TRACER and crimp the connector.

I only took one picture of the mod because it is that easy to do! You can see the two Scotch Lock Connectors with the white wire between them on the left. (The one on the right taps into power for my gauges.)

You could always run a longer wire to a switch to disable it if necessary. I have thought about doing this mod also.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:20 PM
frdf250
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
this is what i did when i got my fog lights, works great. excellent write up man. reps deserved.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:21 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nicely done....reps to you.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:31 PM
mxracer3276
Posting Guru
Nice write up, reps to ya

Old 01-03-2010, 10:02 PM
jeff7825
Posting Guru
The same thing I did to mine. Reps for the writeup.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Gcrop
Senior User
So just to clarify, you are basically using a jumper from the Brown to the White/Black?

Old 01-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Bluebronco85
Senior User
awesome post. ive been wanting to do this and now i have no excuse not to. You go my reps

Old 01-03-2010, 11:24 PM
USAF CCM
Elder User
Originally Posted by sflem849
The Goal

A Quick Disclaimer

Materials
1 - Pliers
1 - Small Wire

The Mod

Wow, are you bringing back memories. I remember reading posts with similar instructions on keeping the fogs & high beams on together, way back in 2002. (Not meaning anything negative here!)

The most important attraction of a Brite Box is it keeps both low and high beams on at the same time for more light, and without overloading the system. Plus you can get the option of all three light groups staying on!

Last edited by USAF CCM; 01-03-2010 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Added Fog Light Option
Old 01-04-2010, 12:16 AM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My fog lights already stay on but I want to add some driving lights?
I wonder if this would be a way to hook them up?

Old 01-04-2010, 06:04 AM
sflem849
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Gcrop
So just to clarify, you are basically using a jumper from the Brown to the White/Black?
That is all it is! It is really so simple it barely needs a writeup

Originally Posted by USAF CCM
The most important attraction of a Brite Box is it keeps both low and high beams on at the same time for more light, and without overloading the system. Plus you can get the option of all three light groups staying on!
That is correct. For those who want to experience what a Brite Box would do hold back on your blinker using the "flash to pass" option. This allows the high and low beams to stay on. There really isn't a substitute for the BB, but they cost money! I hear you about the 2002 thing, but I think more people should be doing this so I wanted to spread the word.

Originally Posted by mueckster
You could always run a longer wire to a switch to disable it if necessary. I have thought about doing this mod also.
You could certainly do that. I figured it isn't a big deal bc you can always turn your fog lights off manually as well (But then you wouldn't have them with low beams.)

Last edited by sflem849; 01-04-2010 at 06:08 AM. Reason: multi quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:16 AM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice write up. I ended up hooking my stock fogs to a toggle switch to use how and when I wanted to.They seem to work better without the headlights on when its really foggy or snowing hard.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Gcrop
Senior User
Originally Posted by rtazz17
Nice write up. I ended up hooking my stock fogs to a toggle switch to use how and when I wanted to.They seem to work better without the headlights on when its really foggy or snowing hard.
This is another "mod" I wanted to do, pull the foglights on without having to turn the headlights on. I know I saw the write up and pictures somewhere.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:44 PM
sflem849
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Gcrop
This is another "mod" I wanted to do, pull the foglights on without having to turn the headlights on. I know I saw the write up and pictures somewhere.
IIRC you can take the switch apart and grind the little tab off that doesn't let you run the fog lights unless the headlights are on. I don't think it applies to every truck every year though. I don't think the fog light mod is a universal mod either. Somewhere in there they switched headlight switches and probably wire colors.

Quick Reply: Fog/High Beam Mod Instructions - Anti-BrightBox Mod