Washing BD

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Washing BD

Hey Don
Does my BD need to be at a minimum temp when I wash it with Magnesol?

Next question..I have 50 gal of glycerol I am going to heat and distill. I'm going to set the barrel on a residential oven element to heat it. It may take a while to heat that much to draw off the methanol. What do you think the minimum temp I will need for it to vaporize?

Did I see a post from Phydeaux the other day? Hope he is feeling better. Haven't heard from him for quite some time. We were working on my condenser when he stopped posting. In case he is monitoring, my new condenser is working well. I think the problem was in my chamber. Hope to get a new one built and operational soon. Takes too long to vaporize.

Happy New Year to everyone on the Forum. You are a great bunch of guys with a great bunch of great information.
Tom

Old 01-04-2010, 10:03 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom D
Hey Don
Does my BD need to be at a minimum temp when I wash it with Magnesol?

Next question..I have 50 gal of glycerol I am going to heat and distill. I'm going to set the barrel on a residential oven element to heat it. It may take a while to heat that much to draw off the methanol. What do you think the minimum temp I will need for it to vaporize?

Did I see a post from Phydeaux the other day? Hope he is feeling better. Haven't heard from him for quite some time. We were working on my condenser when he stopped posting. In case he is monitoring, my new condenser is working well. I think the problem was in my chamber. Hope to get a new one built and operational soon. Takes too long to vaporize.

Happy New Year to everyone on the Forum. You are a great bunch of guys with a great bunch of great information.
Tom
Happy new year to you also Tom!

Around room temp (60+) seems to work OK. I haven't tried it any lower.

You will need a minimum of 150 deg to get any Methanol vapor, and will get the most producton at about 190-200 deg. Try and keep it below 212 deg to avoid boiling off any water.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tom D
... my new condenser is working well. I think the problem was in my chamber. Hope to get a new one built and operational soon. Takes too long to vaporize.

Tom
Glad to hear you got it working. Too cold here for me to do anything, hopefully it warms up as forecast next week...