Dome Light will not go off.. door ajar is off

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 10:40 PM
moveyourcar
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dome Light will not go off.. door ajar is off

Ok so I have a 2000 Expedition and my issue is the Dome Light will not go off but the Door Ajar light is not lit but it does go on and off when the doors are opened and closed, Obviously the WD 40 trick isn't going to work. Anyone else know what the possible cause is behind this? Bad Relay or?

Old 12-21-2009, 12:45 AM
sixing
Freshman User
May sound stupid, but is the headlight switch **** turned all the way counter clockwise? as this turns on the dome light when doors are closed.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:34 AM
moveyourcar
New User
Originally Posted by sixing
May sound stupid, but is the headlight switch **** turned all the way counter clockwise? as this turns on the dome light when doors are closed.
Actually on 2000 Expedition it was not the headlight switch it has a seperate control for the dome/interior lamps and running board lamps which is also the dim controls for the cluster.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:35 AM
moveyourcar
New User
Oh I failed to mention I pulled the fuse for it so at night I will not get pulled over or run the battery down when it's sitting in the driveway. The bad part about this is it will not allow me to shift from Park to any other gear it's locked out and the power windows will not work. So it is becoming a pain in the *** to put the fuse in every time I want to use my windows or back out of a parking spot.

I'll be trying to replace the relay but I'd like some confirmation on what else can cause it I'm trying to avoid a dealership for the obvious reason it's out of warranty.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:07 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,663 Likes on 1,345 Posts
See if the inside firewall area is wet around the fuse box area. Some of the trucks have a problem with the windshield leaking and getting the fuse box and the GEM module(which does all the domelight control among other things) wet and causes it to act crazy. I wonder if the expeditions have the same problem?

Old 12-21-2009, 06:38 PM
Sportruk
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you try the WD40 soaking of the door latch? The Illuminated Entry(Dome light) switch and Door Ajar switch are 2 seperate switches within the latch. The Door Ajar switch has never been the problem, it's the Dome light switch that causes the problem.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:44 PM
moveyourcar
New User
Originally Posted by Franklin2
See if the inside firewall area is wet around the fuse box area. Some of the trucks have a problem with the windshield leaking and getting the fuse box and the GEM module(which does all the domelight control among other things) wet and causes it to act crazy. I wonder if the expeditions have the same problem?
Already checked that and wasn't wet. I also failed to mentioned I live in AZ when this happened we had not had rain for quite some time and I hadn't washed the truck recently either.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:47 PM
moveyourcar
New User
Originally Posted by Sportruk
Did you try the WD40 soaking of the door latch? The Illuminated Entry(Dome light) switch and Door Ajar switch are 2 seperate switches within the latch. The Door Ajar switch has never been the problem, it's the Dome light switch that causes the problem.
Tried that with all doors and no go, any tip for it? like the location of the switch? Just really need the general area I need to hit with WD40 I got all around the latch and in the crevices as well.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:30 PM
Sportruk
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I recall, the switch is in the upper part of the latch. The picture shows roughly where you need to concentrate the spray. You might need to partially click the latch to open the spot. Soak it well. The front doors are the more likely to be causing the problem, as this is very common in the pickups as well.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:36 PM
moveyourcar
New User
Originally Posted by Sportruk
As I recall, the switch is in the upper part of the latch. The picture shows roughly where you need to concentrate the spray. You might need to partially click the latch to open the spot. Soak it well. The front doors are the more likely to be causing the problem, as this is very common in the pickups as well.
So gave this a try still the same issue. Like I said the Door ajar light goes off and the chime isn't on it's just the interior lights that will not go off. I've used half a can of WD40 on all latches and still nothing.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:40 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Disconnect the battery, turn on the headlight switch.

Go have coffee.

Come back in 20 min

Reconnect.

See if anything changes.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:13 AM
moveyourcar
New User
Originally Posted by gearloose1
Disconnect the battery, turn on the headlight switch.

Go have coffee.

Come back in 20 min

Reconnect.

See if anything changes.
So yeah tried this last night and no change.